“Don't let the outside fool you!” 4 of 5 stars

Floridan Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 North Florida Avenue, Tampa, FL   |
Ranked #98 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Dunedin, Florida
“Don't let the outside fool you!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I decided to stay at the Floridan Palace last night after attending the Andrea Bocelli concert at the Tampa Bay Forum. Although my home is only 20 miles away the thought of driving home late at night didn't thrill me. Having attempted to make a reservation at a closer hotel and finding it already booked I reserved a room at the Floridan. When I first saw the hotel I wanted to go back home. It looks old and is in a rather deserted area of downtown Tampa. Glad I didn't judge that book by it's cover! You are transformed into another era when you walk into the door and up the stairs to the lobby. It is beautiful and the smells coming from the packed restaurant were incredible and very welcoming. Upon check-in I realized that maybe the hotel wasn't very welcoming after all. The young man at the desk was not friendly in the slightest way and must have been afraid that if he smiled his face would crack. This was also true of the young woman that took over for him in the evening. I checked in around 2:00 and was told that the restaurant was booked through the entire evening but that I could eat in the bar. I went down to the bar around 4:00 and was pleasantly surprised at the menu! I ordered some wine and decided on the grilled octopus and a wonderful platter of Greek dips, stuffed grape leaves, feta cheese, and pita bread. It was beautiful and delicious! The bar tender was a very friendly young man that made up for the very unfriendly one at the desk. He was extremely busy but kept a smile on his face! My room was absolutely beautiful and huge! Nothing like I expected. It is probably the most elegant room I have ever stayed in. Unfortunately this had to be the most uncomfortable bed that I have ever slept on in my life with the worst pillows!!! There isn't a coffee maker in the room nor is there a soda machine on the premises. There was a fridge with bottled water in the credenza. The new owners have done a lovely job of the renovation but maybe they should now concentrate on the details of putting coffee makers in the rooms, figuring out what to do with those mattresses and pillows, putting blankets/spreads on the beds, and especially.......finding people to work at the reservation desk that can be welcoming and smile!

Room Tip: I had a corner room on the 18th floor. It was very quiet and beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Largo, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Good food. Overpriced alcohol. I was here for a wedding. We stayed in the penthouse suite. When we all left for the ceremony my purse was still there. (I was the last one out of the room). When we returned (after the room had been made up) my purse was gone. When I went to the front desk to ask them if anyone had turned in a purse because mine was missing, the first thing out of the person's mouth was "I can assure you that nobody from this hotel would take it". I never accused them, I only asked if it was turned in. Someone else in my party, in another room had a $300 hair dryer go missing as well. Moral of the story, lock everything up and don't leave any valuables in your room. Hard beds. No blankets. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Bring a blanket.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Marietta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Growing up in Tampa I remember the Floridan as a rundown abandoned building with broken windows. Recently, I had the opportunity to walk inside the Floridan in it's newly renovated state and it is absolutely amazing! The hotel looks as new as it probably did when it first opened early in the 20th century. Most of the original appointments are still intact including the old letter box at the bottom floor, the ceilings, and appears like the elevators are the originals, and much of the furniture is dedicated towards the period. The Sapphire lounge is a cozy place to enjoy a drink and they have a live piano player who plays music from the hotel's heyday, and he is also very accommodating with requests. I think they would be able to attract a better crowd if they had a bit more marketing; seems to me they could attract a wider audience with all they have to offer.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We recently tried to do a small company "after hours" outing to their infamous Sapphire Lounge...only to find out once we got there that the lounge is closed during the week!

It was like a ghost town! The people we encountered didn't seem to care about customer service...the front desk guy was barely able to get out a "how are you tonight?, the bartender never said there was a happy hour with special pricing (which would have been great since their drinks are $13 a pop), and he didn't seem to be in any hurry to service our group. They definitely weren't busy and the reason is probably because the staff doesn't seem to have a sense of urgency to welcome in guests.

This place is so beautiful and could be a gold mine if they ran it better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This place is just a joke.
The menu? Uninspiring.
The Lounge and bar? Over priced beverages served up by unattentive bartenders.
The overall feeling? Overwhelmingly unwelcomed from the moment I walked inside.

Not sure what the rooms look like but as far as the service from the bar and restaurant is concerned I really don't see how they can be anything but mediocre. I hate saying this because I really wanted it to be great, but it just isn't. Sorry

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Having lived in Downtown Tampa for the better part of five years I watched this hotel renovate from my balcony. Slow but sure in those years it began to evolve. I remember walking by thinking I would walk inside someday to check out the beautiful chandeliers visible from the street. Having married recently and relocated to NC I frequently need to return for business and I finally got my chance. The staff was very kind, however, not consistent with management. I had read the reviews stating the bedding was hard but saw in responses to the reviews from management that mattress pads were available. This was not the case. No bueno! The room was clean and quiet for my location facing north. I know the sound of the trains all too well and was glad to be pointed in the opposite direction. I have to say what made the stay ok was the fact that I got the room thru Priceline for $125 otherwise the incomplete feeling would have left me feeling duped. I think transparency would benefit this hotel greatly with the poor reviews. First start by telling people you are still a work in progress this might explain lack of bedding, pictures, coffee makers, splotchy finish work at best, etc...then state a reduced price of $125 consistently until you are up to par. The night I stayed here the front desk said there were about 50 rooms taken but I would guess less. The hotel is not fully operational with all rooms. The cable was pretty limited unless you like to buy things, speak Spanish, are a hard core Christian, or think public access is the bomb! The beds...well my husband likes a hard bed but I do not although he has stronger abs. There were huge neck wrenching pillows but some newer ones were smaller maybe in response to negative reviews. The location is great albeit there is not much action but that's downtown Tampa for you. It's slowly coming back too and for those who don't know it is close to the city center unless you are lazy as hell because it's only a 5 minute walk or less to "the center" which might be considered Lykes Park.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Airlie Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed while attending a conference, easy 14 minute walk through a safe and pleasant area.
Very nice hotel, it was good value, rooms were nice and enjoyed my stay. It is recently re-open and is splendid and clean. The staff seem like they are getting up to speed and were helpful. Stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!