“Mixed” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 North Florida Avenue, Tampa, FL   |
Ranked #95 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
“Mixed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel itself is beautiful and the food at their restaurant was absolutely delicious. If you actually stay at the hotel you might experience some challenges. We were there with a group of people. One person's room flooded and he had to be moved. One person came in late and his hallway smelled like a sewer and his room had a terrible (different) odor. We witnessed the smell and encouraged him to complain. He stayed because he was so tired but had no hot water in the morning. I understand the challenges of renovating an old building but no one should ever be assigned to a floor that has a significant odor problem. They have a ways to go in this department.
Our room, on the other hand, was beautiful and they had 2 bottles of complimentary water. They are missing some amenities such as in room coffee makers, no bellman staff to help with luggage and the restaurant doesn't open until 11:00. You can get coffee at the desk in little styrofoam cups but you would think that a hotel trying to take you back in time could have a more eloquent coffee service. For these reasons I have to give an average rating but they have great potential if they focus some of their attention to these areas.
I

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. There are both vintage and new elements, but all are in keeping with the ornate style of the best hotels of the last hundred years - marble tiled bathrooms, solid wood furniture, comfortable linens (even the bathmat was soft), upscale toiletries, complimentary bottled water and an in room safe. The common areas were also lovely, sparkling chandeliers, gold and black wrought ironwork, marble floors and elegant settees and chairs. There is a open bar area a few steps above the lobby serving great drinks and food - I recommend the flaming saganaki, prepared tableside - as well as a separate restaurant on site. The location is just a short walk to the (equally beautiful) Tampa Theatre, and a 10 minute walk (3 1/2 blocks) to the Straz Performing Arts Center. Another big plus is the free parking - yes FREE - in a downtown location. The only negative we found was the lack of a coffee maker in our room, although coffee was available in the lobby (the reason I gave "Rooms" a 4, not a 5).

Apollo Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This Sunday we went with friends after church to the Floridan restaurant for lunch. As we were early there was hardly anyone there for lunch, but the restaurant filled more later.
I love the style of the 1920's hotels, the atmosphere and the food was great. I love to cook myself, I love to eat, and I travel a lot and see food from different places. I love octopus and I sometimes made it when I find it frozen (I never found it fresh here in Florida). I Northern Spain, in Galicia t here was plenty of octopus in nearly every restaurant - but this grilled octopus was the best I had so far. The price for the appetizer was not bad, $ 10. I had calamari for lunch after this, they were good, better than in most restaurants, but the octopus was great. I also had a glass of Savignon Blanc from New Zealand. It was dry and fruity, the way I like it. I am a red wine drinker, but with seafood I usually go for white. Lunch is not cheap, but reasonable, when you consider the setting, the service, and the food quality. We were six and everyone like the food they had. I recommend to go there for lunch, it is about $ 10 cheaper than dinner. The restaurant also offers steaks (not cheap), but I heard from friends that they are good.

Room Tip: Go for lunch. I can not say anything about the hotel, but it looks great, they did a great job resto...
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed overnight at this beautiful hotel dating to the 1920's. living in this town much of my adult life, I have driven past it on numerous occasions, but this is the first time I had been in this delightful hotel. The furnishings are exquisite and the architecture is phenomenal, including the original brick facade and the old Sign atop the building. A must stay for locals who want to experience a bit of old Tampa and for those from out of town to see what this city was like back then. Staff is very friendly and helpful and will be glad to tell you about the history of the hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

A few weeks ago, we visited the bar at the Floridan, after seeing a movie at the Tampa Theater. We were pleasant surprised to find a beautiful gem of a place in downtown. The establishment is simply elegant. My party and I had the most delicous Bloody Marys, prepared expertly by Sybil. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we tried the restaurant last Sunday for lunch. The atmosphere is just great and romantic. The service was very good and the food nice, with many Greek inspired meals, including a very good Moussake. The flounder fish dish was fine but the crab filling had a strong "fishy" taste. Overall, we really enjoyed the drinks and meal. Given the low-middle price point for lunch, the food quality and taste is a good value. Bascially, typical straightforward food not heavily inspired by current trends. For example, the meals came with a rather old-style Pilaf rice. Notwithstanding, you should go to this hotel, bar, and restaurant. The atmosphere and drinks are top notched and the food good but not great.

Room Tip: Although we only went to the bar and restaurant, the hotel is beautiful. I asked about the room pr...
Valrico, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This Floridan Palace Hotel was a Tampa hotspot back in the late 20's when it originally opened. Folks came from far and wide to see and be seen. Word is Elvis,Gary Cooper and many other stars and 'wise guys' enjoyed the hotel and its nightlife.Unfortunately like many places over the years it began to decline and eventually closed it's doors in the mid 1960's Native Floridians and many others hoped one day the hotel would reopen but it appeared that day might never come. Through the years different groups showed interest in buying it and eventually it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The hotel was finally purchased and required almost seven years to restore but in July of 2012 it once again opened it's rooms to the public.

They did an amazing job it looks like you stepped back in to the 20's with the conveniences of the 21st century. Our room was on the 19th floor (1906) with a beautiful view of downtown Tampa. We could see the famous Tampa Theatre sign which was also added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places as well as the beautiful bay waters. The hotel has a breath taking ballroom that is perfect all kinds of special events including wedding parties fit for a King and Queen. There are two bars on the property one connects to the Crystal Dining Room which serves amazing dinners and of course the Sapphire Lounge. I highly recommend three cocktails. First the drink that made the lounge famous 'Between the Sheets' second a 'B-52' and finally a 'Old Fashion' which is the best you will get anywhere. Now there are a few small inconveniences staying in this historical hotel. First is there are no ice machines on any of the floors. If you wont ice you gotta go down to the bar and get it or if the bar is closed from the front desk. There is no pool on the property and they do not serve breakfast at the hotel.There are many places downtown within walking distance for breakfast and one I highly recommend is the Samaria Cafe. You can get everything from a traditional full breakfast to Eggs Benedict and I must say the best fresh squeezed OJ I've had in a long long time. The prices and service are fantastic and you will go away happy. The walk is about 5 min from the hotel. Parking is free for hotel guests and If you are in the mood to go out and party a cab ride to Ybor City is around ten bucks each way including tip. Hope you have as much fun as my wife and I and did and remember a few ghosts have been spotted on the property so if your lucky enough to see one tell them I said hello.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 19th floor you will get a great view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel, but had a birthday dinner in the restaurant. The main dining area is absolutely stunning. The food is as good as any place in Tampa. We had fish stuffed with crab and steak marsala. Both were amazing. The service was very good and the prices are reasonable. This is our fourth trip there and each has been spectacular. Definitely, a hidden gem in Tampa.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!