“Great Food, Service and Atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Floridan Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 North Florida Avenue, Tampa, FL   |
Ranked #95 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Apollo Beach, Florida
“Great Food, Service and Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This Sunday we went with friends after church to the Floridan restaurant for lunch. As we were early there was hardly anyone there for lunch, but the restaurant filled more later.
I love the style of the 1920's hotels, the atmosphere and the food was great. I love to cook myself, I love to eat, and I travel a lot and see food from different places. I love octopus and I sometimes made it when I find it frozen (I never found it fresh here in Florida). I Northern Spain, in Galicia t here was plenty of octopus in nearly every restaurant - but this grilled octopus was the best I had so far. The price for the appetizer was not bad, $ 10. I had calamari for lunch after this, they were good, better than in most restaurants, but the octopus was great. I also had a glass of Savignon Blanc from New Zealand. It was dry and fruity, the way I like it. I am a red wine drinker, but with seafood I usually go for white. Lunch is not cheap, but reasonable, when you consider the setting, the service, and the food quality. We were six and everyone like the food they had. I recommend to go there for lunch, it is about $ 10 cheaper than dinner. The restaurant also offers steaks (not cheap), but I heard from friends that they are good.

Room Tip: Go for lunch. I can not say anything about the hotel, but it looks great, they did a great job resto...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed overnight at this beautiful hotel dating to the 1920's. living in this town much of my adult life, I have driven past it on numerous occasions, but this is the first time I had been in this delightful hotel. The furnishings are exquisite and the architecture is phenomenal, including the original brick facade and the old Sign atop the building. A must stay for locals who want to experience a bit of old Tampa and for those from out of town to see what this city was like back then. Staff is very friendly and helpful and will be glad to tell you about the history of the hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

A few weeks ago, we visited the bar at the Floridan, after seeing a movie at the Tampa Theater. We were pleasant surprised to find a beautiful gem of a place in downtown. The establishment is simply elegant. My party and I had the most delicous Bloody Marys, prepared expertly by Sybil. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we tried the restaurant last Sunday for lunch. The atmosphere is just great and romantic. The service was very good and the food nice, with many Greek inspired meals, including a very good Moussake. The flounder fish dish was fine but the crab filling had a strong "fishy" taste. Overall, we really enjoyed the drinks and meal. Given the low-middle price point for lunch, the food quality and taste is a good value. Bascially, typical straightforward food not heavily inspired by current trends. For example, the meals came with a rather old-style Pilaf rice. Notwithstanding, you should go to this hotel, bar, and restaurant. The atmosphere and drinks are top notched and the food good but not great.

Room Tip: Although we only went to the bar and restaurant, the hotel is beautiful. I asked about the room pr...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Valrico, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This Floridan Palace Hotel was a Tampa hotspot back in the late 20's when it originally opened. Folks came from far and wide to see and be seen. Word is Elvis,Gary Cooper and many other stars and 'wise guys' enjoyed the hotel and its nightlife.Unfortunately like many places over the years it began to decline and eventually closed it's doors in the mid 1960's Native Floridians and many others hoped one day the hotel would reopen but it appeared that day might never come. Through the years different groups showed interest in buying it and eventually it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The hotel was finally purchased and required almost seven years to restore but in July of 2012 it once again opened it's rooms to the public.

They did an amazing job it looks like you stepped back in to the 20's with the conveniences of the 21st century. Our room was on the 19th floor (1906) with a beautiful view of downtown Tampa. We could see the famous Tampa Theatre sign which was also added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places as well as the beautiful bay waters. The hotel has a breath taking ballroom that is perfect all kinds of special events including wedding parties fit for a King and Queen. There are two bars on the property one connects to the Crystal Dining Room which serves amazing dinners and of course the Sapphire Lounge. I highly recommend three cocktails. First the drink that made the lounge famous 'Between the Sheets' second a 'B-52' and finally a 'Old Fashion' which is the best you will get anywhere. Now there are a few small inconveniences staying in this historical hotel. First is there are no ice machines on any of the floors. If you wont ice you gotta go down to the bar and get it or if the bar is closed from the front desk. There is no pool on the property and they do not serve breakfast at the hotel.There are many places downtown within walking distance for breakfast and one I highly recommend is the Samaria Cafe. You can get everything from a traditional full breakfast to Eggs Benedict and I must say the best fresh squeezed OJ I've had in a long long time. The prices and service are fantastic and you will go away happy. The walk is about 5 min from the hotel. Parking is free for hotel guests and If you are in the mood to go out and party a cab ride to Ybor City is around ten bucks each way including tip. Hope you have as much fun as my wife and I and did and remember a few ghosts have been spotted on the property so if your lucky enough to see one tell them I said hello.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 19th floor you will get a great view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel, but had a birthday dinner in the restaurant. The main dining area is absolutely stunning. The food is as good as any place in Tampa. We had fish stuffed with crab and steak marsala. Both were amazing. The service was very good and the prices are reasonable. This is our fourth trip there and each has been spectacular. Definitely, a hidden gem in Tampa.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

So I booked a room at the Floridan on Hotwire for around $150 per night. I was staying there for the Florida Bar Exam, when the entire area is packed and hotels are expensive, so I was happy with the price. After reading all of the reviews, I had pretty low expectations - but the hotel was a lot better than I expected. The room was big and clean and the staff was very accommodating. Likes: (1) they give you shampoo/bath products that smell good and are organic; (2) they offer room service (but you have to get a menu from the front desk); (3) free parking in the lot next door; (4) free coffee and breakfast pastries in the morning (they should advertise this because it semi makes up for not having coffee pots in the rooms); (5) the room was big; (6) its a quiet, peaceful place and the people working there were always really nice and helpful.
Dislikes: (1) the shower takes a minute to heat up in the morning, I usually left it running for 5 minutes before I got in; (2) other than PBS and ABC there isn't much to watch on TV; (3) they give you a soft blanket but no fluffy comforter for the bed (I didn't mind because I had brought my own comforter from home).
Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The renovation of this hotel is exquisite! The rooms are large, the people are friendly and the food is excellent. Unfortunately it has a strangely deserted feel to it. There did not seem to be many people actually staying in the hotel while we were there over a weekend in July, but hopefully that will change. This place is great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!