“Great restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 North Florida Avenue, Tampa, FL   |
Ranked #95 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I haven't stayed at the hotel, but I did host a luncheon for my daughter's graduation here on June 1. I called a couple of weeks before the event for reservations. I talked with Kim and she couldn't have been more helpful. On the day of the event, we arrived and the small dining room was prepared and waiting for us. I had narrowed the menu selections to five entrees for ease of ordering and preparation. I couldn't have been more pleased with the results. Everyone's food was hot and delicious or cool and refreshing (there were salad choices too). I had the grouper and I can vouch for how tasty it was. I was able to order a speciality cake and bring it in for dessert as well. Our wait staff of Todd and Debra were exceptional and catered to our every need. In addition, I didn't have sticker shock at the end of the meal. I look forward to visiting the restaurant again and hopefully spend a night or two in their fabulous hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I am an attorney, regularly in Tampa and neither me nor my colleagues knew this hotel existed right next to the courthouse. Same money or less than other places downtown, much better. Everything about it is fantastic WITH 2 exceptions. There is no business center. There is one computer available but no printer. Second there is no breakfast and I did not see a coffee maker in my room. Lunch and dinner served, restaurant has live piano player. Helpful tip: check Orbitz and others for rates, call hotel and it will match. They also have 2 types of suites that are not advertised, you must call hotel. I now stay there every time I go to Tampa.

• Stayed May 2013
FloridanPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Floridan Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Floridan Palace Hotel! We are happy that you and your colleagues were able to stay with us! With being conveniently located across the street from the Federal Courthouse, we had been able to be of service to many guests working there. We are even able to accommodate smaller groups going to the courthouse with providing a meeting space to work in. We apologize for the inconvenience of not having a full service business center set up at this time. We have tried to be accommodating by printing from the front desk for our guests. At this time we do not serve breakfast from our dining room, but with feedback from our guests we are looking at other options in the future, which is the same with coffee makers. We are currently offering complimentary coffee in the lobby during the morning and we can also serve it to our guests rooms upon request. We will also look into the listing of our room types online since we are only very recently listed on these sites. We appreciate your feedback and love that you will continue to stay with us when you are in Tampa! I would also recommend calling us directly to see if we may set up a corporate rate for you since you visit regularly. We have only been re-opened for nine months now and truly appreciate any guest feedback, so we may continue to improve in reviving this historic gem in downtown Tampa. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again!
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Back in March I visited Downtown Tampa for the Florida Thespian Festival. We had booked 20 rooms back in the end of 2012 but 2 days before check-in we were informed that they over booked the hotel... by 20 rooms. So the hotel told us they would find us another hotel to stay at and the hotel we were given was the Floridan. Already exhausted and upset from the ordeal with the other hotel we were afraid of what we had been stuck with. When searching online for reviews we were met with not so positive reactions. Suffice to say that we were fearing the worst but hey at least we had a place to stay.

The day for our trip comes and when we get there to check in we see that the hotel is not bad looking at all. The lobby is beautiful and they play 50s music to give you a feel of its heyday (it was a famous hotel and closed and was recently reopened and renovated).

My only real complaint of the hotel would be the lack of amenities for the price that you pay. There is no vending machines, no ice machine, no microwaves, and no room service, for $200 a night I would have expected a bit more when compared to other hotels in the area. I will say that the rooms are nice and spacious though. The beds were a bit hard but I slept just fine.

In the end we were happy with what we got given the situation and I honestly wouldn't be devastated if we ended up there again. Its a great hotel, it just needs a little more work done before its ready for today's picky traveler.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your group stay! During large conventions in Tampa where most hotels are sold out, there can be unexpected situations that require guests to be moved and while we understand that can put guests in inconvenient positions, we were thrilled that we had the opportunity to accommodate your group. We appreciate the positive feedback you had for us. We do apologize you felt the amenities we offer are lacking. Since we are a historic hotel, they were not able to put ice machines on the guests floors, so when a guest needs ice all they need to do is call the front desk and ice will be brought up for them. Additionally we do offer room service and I deeply apologize you were not aware of this. We truly appreciate your feedback and were very happy with all our Thespian groups. We look forward to the Thespian Festival again next year and would be more than happy to have your group with us again! Thank you!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at the Floridan Palace for three nights recently. I and several others were in Downtown Tampa for a festival at nearby Tampa Union Station (all 3 of us rented rooms at the Floridan). We ate several meals there (lunch and dinner) and enjoyed the bars in the hotel, as well.

First of all, this hotel is a great place. Hands down. The decor and history at the Floridan are just amazing and the fact that the owner has put so much time and talent into restoring this great Tampa landmark is laudable in the extreme. After all, this hotel was a boarded-up, vacant hulk of a building not that long ago.

The Floridan is still finding its legs, having been open for under a year. There are plenty of things still to be done, like implementing an online reservation system (I had to call the hotel to make a reservation). There is--as another reviewer noted--also no way yet for you to charge drinks or meals to your room. Policies are not even and consistent yet and things are not all in place. For instance, the nearest ice machine to my top floor room was in the lobby; my room also lacked a Do Not Disturb sign. I am confident that much-needed improvements like these will be implemented over time.

The staff here is friendly and accommodating, although don't expect a Ritz-Carlton-level of service. There is no doorman or harpist in the lobby (although the decor of the place suggests that there should be!). The front desk agents are more reminiscent of the staff you would encounter in a bed-and-breakfast, which is not a bad thing at all--but not 5 star.

I found my room to be quite clean and well-appointed. Others have complained about the mattresses, which are firm, but I had three nights of good sleep on them. The rooms here are not original per se; everything from walls and bathrooms inside of them is new. Still, they had a nice feel, with elegant furniture and plush carpeting.

On the restaurant and the bars, I found the staff to be friendly and hard-working. What they lacked in polish they more than made up for in sincerity and a desire to do well. The food was also very good. The setting is what is really special here--which is what the Floridan is.

I will return to the Floridan often and look forward to seeing them improve from a service level which is already much higher than what you find at many hotels in the Tampa Bay area. The others I travel with agree wholeheartedly with me and plan to return, too.

As a Tampa native, I am especially grateful to the Floridan's owner and staff for bringing this great icon back to life. Stay here if you want to enjoy something different in a very good way.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher floors, if possible. A great view across Downtown Tampa all the way to t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing the Floridan Palace Hotel during your recent trip to Tampa! We are thankful for the very positive review you gave us and are glad you enjoyed your stay! As you stated we are continually working to improve, and we now have an online reservations system where you can book online from our website or visit the other travel sites (although like always when you call the hotel directly you may be able to get a better package deal). Another upgrade we will have available very soon is a system where you may charge your restaurant or bar charges directly to your room bill. We do not have ice machines on the guest floors since it is a historic building and they were not able to put any in, but upon request will we deliver ice to our guests at any time. We shared your wonderful comments about our staff with everyone and we truly appreciate your kind words of encouragement. I do not know that we will be able to add a harpist to the lobby, but on the weekends when the Sapphire Lounge is open we do have Tony playing the piano, which is a treasure for us since he used to play here in the 60's! Thank you for your support and please know the owners sincerely welcome your praise and continued patronage! We look forward to your next visit!!
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Imagine sleeping on concrete with a 1/4 in of foam with pillows that resemble bales of hay wrapped in sand paper. Literally feel your skin rip apart by cheap linens. Can't sleep....??? Turn on your TV to 6-7 channels. That's it! Seriously....Well order room service...ooops none...valet...none....designated parking....none....bill expensive drinks to room....nope...can't do it! This place is a joke. Only recommend this place to someone you hate because they most certain will be hating you in the morning. Horrible!!! Simply horrible. If I could rate this place a 1/4 of a star I would.

Room Tip: Do do not stay here....unless you are one of my swearn enemies.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We were disappointed to hear that you were extremely unhappy with your recent stay with us. From your conversation with the front desk upon check in, we realized you are used to staying in chained hotels and therefore have a very specific set of amenities you look for. Knowing that, we did try our best to accommodate you during your stay with us and we are very sorry you feel we did not meet those expectations. We would like the opportunity to address some of your concerns, for it is our goal to provide exceptional service and amenities to all of our guests. All of our pillows and bedding are non-feather hypoallergenic materials. Our beds are triple sheeted with a blanket placed at the end of the bed. We understand you were also unhappy with our firm mattress. All the mattress are the same and we do offer mattress pads upon request. Our televisions offer 37 channels an we do apologize if your T.V. was not working properly to receive all of them. We do offer room service and we deeply apologize you were not aware of this. With a recent upgrade our guests will very soon be able to charge restaurant and bar purchases to their room bill. We do have valet set up on many nights and again we are sorry that service was not offered during your stay, however we have two spacious parking lots for our guests to park in and we do not currently charge any parking fees. We can appreciate your passionate feelings about being upset and would like the opportunity to further discuss your stay so we may better understand your disappointment and look for areas for us to improve upon. Please do not hesitate to contact us and ask to speak with the ownership about your stay. Thank you for your time.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went to the Floridan for supper and the experience was so bad that it was almost funny. We were the fourth table seated and there were three servers so that looked promising. We waited for over fifteen minutes to have a server speak with us. We ordered dinner and received our drinks and some rolls. The rolls were rock hard. Salads came with the meal, I ordered the house dressing which was good but as I ate the salad I discovered it had an earlier life with balsamic vinegar which covered the bottom of the dish. The meals came out 45 minutes after we placed our order. The steak came out rare instead of medium as ordered and when it came back it was still rare. I didn't send it back a second time. The manager asked how out meal was and when he learned what had gone on he tried to make amends including sending out a slice of key lime pie. It took 15 minutes to arrive which sort of spoiled the gesture.
A very disappointing dinner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

As a neigbor, I have enjoyed visitng the Sapphire Room at the Floridan Palace several times since it reopened last summer...here are my thoughts, intended to be positively received.

Ambiance - Nicely done, although a decorator for the finishing touches would be helpful (placement of pictures, better atmospheric lighting, esp in the darker corners).

Having a pianist on wkends is a wonderful touch - but, the music is way too loud for conversation and should only be in the background - please!

Food - Usually tasty, although appetitzer portions have varied in serving size several times. And distance from kitchen to bar often means tepid food - there should be a better, more efficient way than having the bar staff leave the area to collect the food orders.

Service - Now that a real, professional bartender is in place, wonderful service is offered...the same with the on-their-toes staff on the floor.

Suggestion to management: It may be necessary to have a manager in the room, but how about one who smiles a welcome, one who steps up to clear tables, take orders when needed, and helps direct first-timers? Rather than one who stands in the corner almost glowering at everyone, other than the staff (who tend to congregate in the corner where he stands guard to chat)...
And staff should never be seen eating their dinner on the floor in an establishment of this level - very tacky. Let them take a much-needed break and enjoy their meal behind the scene.

As someone who loves hotel bars, a visit to the Sapphire Room probably will not disappoint (Th, Fri, Sat only). The upstairs bar is also comfortable, albeit without the loud piano music, and is open more evenings than the Sapphire Room - but without the genial Nate behind the bar to make things run smoothly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!