“Worst Sleep of Your Life!” 1 of 5 stars

Floridan Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 North Florida Avenue, Tampa, FL   |
Ranked #96 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Dallas
“Worst Sleep of Your Life!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Imagine sleeping on concrete with a 1/4 in of foam with pillows that resemble bales of hay wrapped in sand paper. Literally feel your skin rip apart by cheap linens. Can't sleep....??? Turn on your TV to 6-7 channels. That's it! Seriously....Well order room service...ooops none...valet...none....designated parking....none....bill expensive drinks to room....nope...can't do it! This place is a joke. Only recommend this place to someone you hate because they most certain will be hating you in the morning. Horrible!!! Simply horrible. If I could rate this place a 1/4 of a star I would.

Room Tip: Do do not stay here....unless you are one of my swearn enemies.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
FloridanPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Floridan Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
We were disappointed to hear that you were extremely unhappy with your recent stay with us. From your conversation with the front desk upon check in, we realized you are used to staying in chained hotels and therefore have a very specific set of amenities you look for. Knowing that, we did try our best to accommodate you during your stay with us and we are very sorry you feel we did not meet those expectations. We would like the opportunity to address some of your concerns, for it is our goal to provide exceptional service and amenities to all of our guests. All of our pillows and bedding are non-feather hypoallergenic materials. Our beds are triple sheeted with a blanket placed at the end of the bed. We understand you were also unhappy with our firm mattress. All the mattress are the same and we do offer mattress pads upon request. Our televisions offer 37 channels an we do apologize if your T.V. was not working properly to receive all of them. We do offer room service and we deeply apologize you were not aware of this. With a recent upgrade our guests will very soon be able to charge restaurant and bar purchases to their room bill. We do have valet set up on many nights and again we are sorry that service was not offered during your stay, however we have two spacious parking lots for our guests to park in and we do not currently charge any parking fees. We can appreciate your passionate feelings about being upset and would like the opportunity to further discuss your stay so we may better understand your disappointment and look for areas for us to improve upon. Please do not hesitate to contact us and ask to speak with the ownership about your stay. Thank you for your time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went to the Floridan for supper and the experience was so bad that it was almost funny. We were the fourth table seated and there were three servers so that looked promising. We waited for over fifteen minutes to have a server speak with us. We ordered dinner and received our drinks and some rolls. The rolls were rock hard. Salads came with the meal, I ordered the house dressing which was good but as I ate the salad I discovered it had an earlier life with balsamic vinegar which covered the bottom of the dish. The meals came out 45 minutes after we placed our order. The steak came out rare instead of medium as ordered and when it came back it was still rare. I didn't send it back a second time. The manager asked how out meal was and when he learned what had gone on he tried to make amends including sending out a slice of key lime pie. It took 15 minutes to arrive which sort of spoiled the gesture.
A very disappointing dinner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

As a neigbor, I have enjoyed visitng the Sapphire Room at the Floridan Palace several times since it reopened last summer...here are my thoughts, intended to be positively received.

Ambiance - Nicely done, although a decorator for the finishing touches would be helpful (placement of pictures, better atmospheric lighting, esp in the darker corners).

Having a pianist on wkends is a wonderful touch - but, the music is way too loud for conversation and should only be in the background - please!

Food - Usually tasty, although appetitzer portions have varied in serving size several times. And distance from kitchen to bar often means tepid food - there should be a better, more efficient way than having the bar staff leave the area to collect the food orders.

Service - Now that a real, professional bartender is in place, wonderful service is offered...the same with the on-their-toes staff on the floor.

Suggestion to management: It may be necessary to have a manager in the room, but how about one who smiles a welcome, one who steps up to clear tables, take orders when needed, and helps direct first-timers? Rather than one who stands in the corner almost glowering at everyone, other than the staff (who tend to congregate in the corner where he stands guard to chat)...
And staff should never be seen eating their dinner on the floor in an establishment of this level - very tacky. Let them take a much-needed break and enjoy their meal behind the scene.

As someone who loves hotel bars, a visit to the Sapphire Room probably will not disappoint (Th, Fri, Sat only). The upstairs bar is also comfortable, albeit without the loud piano music, and is open more evenings than the Sapphire Room - but without the genial Nate behind the bar to make things run smoothly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had dinner at the restaurant in the elegantly restored Floridan Hotel in downtown Tampa last night. The food was surprisingly excellent, considering this is a hotel restaurant. We shared the Calamari appetizer, and it was very tender and well-flavored. The house salad with greek dressing was very good as well. I had the Spanokopita as my entree and it was outstanding. Even the rice and vegetables which accompanied it were excellent. Prices are unbelievably reasonable. I would like to see more professional service however, which would be in keeping with the elegant surroundings. Our server struggled to open the bottle of wine we had chosen, and then twice asked if we'd like to keep our knife and fork for the next course, instead of providing clean utensils. Overall, this was a very good experience, and I'll definitely be back the next time I'm in Tampa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My friends and I went to the Floridan to review the hotel and to lunch. Both were good experiences. The hotel has colorful and lovely Italian decorations on the ceilings and walls of the lobby and street floors. The bedrooms were well appointed in very elegant and serious styles. The restaurant was bright and airy and the menu choices were varied and interesting, fm hamburger to salmon. The choices my friends made were tasty and well enjoyed by all. I would highly recommend this restaurant for lunch, if time is not a factor. It was not for us.

Room Tip: Did not stay at hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Upon arriving at the Floridan Hotel I found myself in a valley of smiles from the very first person I met April. She explained everything I had available and gave me a cable for internet access and the password to use the service very quickly.
Entering the room, it was clean and quiet (couldn't hear a noise). The bathroom is also spacious and very clean. The shower seems to be bigger than my house.
The bed was one thing that if I could take him home, I would have done. Hard in the right places and comfortable....
Very rich and tasty breakfast, I love scrambled eggs,and I found in the morning.
These are the things that made me enjoy my stay at this hotel, but my warmest congratulations to the hotel for their choice of personnel. They know how to really make you feel at home, and if you need anything it is like asking a family member. Congratulations from the heart, you were fantastic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Amarillo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with nice, comfortable spacious rooms and an accomodating, friendly staff. If they had not cut a few corners on amenities and keeping outside noise out of the rooms, it could be a five. Be warned, Friday night, there was an outdoor disco on the west side of the hotel and even though we were on the 17th floor, it was loud and intrusive until two oclock.

Room Tip: An outside disco on the west side goes on until 2 on Friday night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!