“Dinner at the Floridan Palace” 2 of 5 stars

Floridan Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 North Florida Avenue, Tampa, FL   |
Ranked #97 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Dinner at the Floridan Palace”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went to the Floridan for supper and the experience was so bad that it was almost funny. We were the fourth table seated and there were three servers so that looked promising. We waited for over fifteen minutes to have a server speak with us. We ordered dinner and received our drinks and some rolls. The rolls were rock hard. Salads came with the meal, I ordered the house dressing which was good but as I ate the salad I discovered it had an earlier life with balsamic vinegar which covered the bottom of the dish. The meals came out 45 minutes after we placed our order. The steak came out rare instead of medium as ordered and when it came back it was still rare. I didn't send it back a second time. The manager asked how out meal was and when he learned what had gone on he tried to make amends including sending out a slice of key lime pie. It took 15 minutes to arrive which sort of spoiled the gesture.
A very disappointing dinner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

As a neigbor, I have enjoyed visitng the Sapphire Room at the Floridan Palace several times since it reopened last summer...here are my thoughts, intended to be positively received.

Ambiance - Nicely done, although a decorator for the finishing touches would be helpful (placement of pictures, better atmospheric lighting, esp in the darker corners).

Having a pianist on wkends is a wonderful touch - but, the music is way too loud for conversation and should only be in the background - please!

Food - Usually tasty, although appetitzer portions have varied in serving size several times. And distance from kitchen to bar often means tepid food - there should be a better, more efficient way than having the bar staff leave the area to collect the food orders.

Service - Now that a real, professional bartender is in place, wonderful service is offered...the same with the on-their-toes staff on the floor.

Suggestion to management: It may be necessary to have a manager in the room, but how about one who smiles a welcome, one who steps up to clear tables, take orders when needed, and helps direct first-timers? Rather than one who stands in the corner almost glowering at everyone, other than the staff (who tend to congregate in the corner where he stands guard to chat)...
And staff should never be seen eating their dinner on the floor in an establishment of this level - very tacky. Let them take a much-needed break and enjoy their meal behind the scene.

As someone who loves hotel bars, a visit to the Sapphire Room probably will not disappoint (Th, Fri, Sat only). The upstairs bar is also comfortable, albeit without the loud piano music, and is open more evenings than the Sapphire Room - but without the genial Nate behind the bar to make things run smoothly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had dinner at the restaurant in the elegantly restored Floridan Hotel in downtown Tampa last night. The food was surprisingly excellent, considering this is a hotel restaurant. We shared the Calamari appetizer, and it was very tender and well-flavored. The house salad with greek dressing was very good as well. I had the Spanokopita as my entree and it was outstanding. Even the rice and vegetables which accompanied it were excellent. Prices are unbelievably reasonable. I would like to see more professional service however, which would be in keeping with the elegant surroundings. Our server struggled to open the bottle of wine we had chosen, and then twice asked if we'd like to keep our knife and fork for the next course, instead of providing clean utensils. Overall, this was a very good experience, and I'll definitely be back the next time I'm in Tampa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My friends and I went to the Floridan to review the hotel and to lunch. Both were good experiences. The hotel has colorful and lovely Italian decorations on the ceilings and walls of the lobby and street floors. The bedrooms were well appointed in very elegant and serious styles. The restaurant was bright and airy and the menu choices were varied and interesting, fm hamburger to salmon. The choices my friends made were tasty and well enjoyed by all. I would highly recommend this restaurant for lunch, if time is not a factor. It was not for us.

Room Tip: Did not stay at hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Upon arriving at the Floridan Hotel I found myself in a valley of smiles from the very first person I met April. She explained everything I had available and gave me a cable for internet access and the password to use the service very quickly.
Entering the room, it was clean and quiet (couldn't hear a noise). The bathroom is also spacious and very clean. The shower seems to be bigger than my house.
The bed was one thing that if I could take him home, I would have done. Hard in the right places and comfortable....
Very rich and tasty breakfast, I love scrambled eggs,and I found in the morning.
These are the things that made me enjoy my stay at this hotel, but my warmest congratulations to the hotel for their choice of personnel. They know how to really make you feel at home, and if you need anything it is like asking a family member. Congratulations from the heart, you were fantastic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Amarillo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with nice, comfortable spacious rooms and an accomodating, friendly staff. If they had not cut a few corners on amenities and keeping outside noise out of the rooms, it could be a five. Be warned, Friday night, there was an outdoor disco on the west side of the hotel and even though we were on the 17th floor, it was loud and intrusive until two oclock.

Room Tip: An outside disco on the west side goes on until 2 on Friday night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I have traveled for business for over 20 years & this is one of the bottom 5 ever! Should have been suspicious when the cab driver said "I have driven in Tampa for over 10 years & have never taken anyone to this hotel. When you walk in-no doubt the grandeur of the restoration is very well done and impressive. But the grandeur comes to a screeching halt there. I was in town for a majot convention that drew 6,000+ people. They had 1 person working the desk at 5 pm. WOW! When i did gret to the room I still wasn't impressed.The front desk said they gave me an oversize king. it was a large room but sparsley furnished. There was a tiny desk stuck in the corner and 2 chairs and a bed. The bed was gard as concrete and the pillows were so hard and over stuffed that you couldn't really use them. this was the worst bed I can ever remember.

After a night of very little rest (mainly due to the bed but the trains at midnight and 3 am blowing their whistle for like 5 minutes i went down for breakfast. Guess how many waitresses were working. 1! The hotel was basiczlly sold out and they had ONE waitress! You gotta be kidding me! Some of our group had already ordered so I joined them. After about 10 minutes she took my order. About 10 minutes later she came back and told one of our party-No Cheerios.Only Fruit loops &frosted flakes. So he said just bring me the bowl of fruit. 15 minutes later she came back & told him "The kitchen isn't making fruit cups today!" I coud go on and on but if you have any other option in Tampa choose it. The best part of my stay was leaving!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!