“Perfect pre-cruise hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Nashville, Tennessee
“Perfect pre-cruise hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

My husband and I bid through priceline for a four star hotel and we were so lucky when this hotel accepted our bid. The location is EXCELLENT!! The only complaint that we had was the shuttle service to the hotel. We were told that the shuttle was waiting for us, but it took two phone calls and a 30 minute wait before the shuttle showed up. After that hurdle, everything was smooth sailing. If we ever cruise out of Tampa again, this is our hotel!! We didn't arrive until after 9 pm but since the hotel is located next to the International Plaza (http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com), we didn't have any problems finding an excellent meal just steps away at Champps Restaurant and Bar. The following day, we slept in late and then left our luggage at the front desk while we walked back to the International Plaza for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. (Don't be mislead by "walk", you merely travel up a flight of stairs and around a corner into a courtyard where numerous restaurants are located along with an entrance to the mall which also includes a regular mall food court.) After lunch, we took a leisurely stroll through the mall to walk off the Cheesecake and to purchase a few items we forgot to pack. Afterwards, we returned to the hotel where a taxi was waiting to take us to the port. After a $25 charge for the ride to the port, we were off on our cruise. Beautiful hotel, wonderful staff, safe and clean area, everything you need just steps from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I booked this hotel at the last second as we decided to attend the NCAA Basketball Regional in Tampa. I knew it was not close to the downtown arena, but I also knew it was not too far away. I had no real expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. It has a different fell from the second you walk in. I don't know how to describe the hotel decor, but perhaps it is an old Florida or even Spanish feel. It has an interesting design and a very nice outdoor courtyard. It has a pretty good fitness center and a large outdoor pool with a hot tub. The rooms are pretty good sized with large flat screens. The bathrooms are nice as well. The hotel is next to a very upscale mall and right next to an outdoor restaurant complex that is part of the mall with many great choices. Parking is free.

• Stayed March 2011
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

The Renaissance Tampa Hotel is an newer hotel in the area..
Lobby area is beautiful.
Rooms are comfortable and decorated nicely; bed comfortable. Bathroom clean and had all amenities you would need. The front desk staff was outstanding, willing to help out in any way. There is a free shuttle to the hotel. I would suggest calling the hotel for pick up. The shuttle driver was a delight talking about Tampa, letting me know what is around the airport area and that I made a good choice to stay at this hotel.
There is a business center off the lobby area. Internet is $12.95. I think there is internet service in the lobby ( don’t if it cost if you have your won laptop). Pelagia trattoria restaurant is located in the hotel. It appeared to have won many awards. I did not get a chance to eat there. Hotel has a pool and gym. The club area is on the 8th floor, but was not open the time I was there.
If you want something to do during your stay, there is the Tampa International Mall which is very close to the Renaissance Hotel. It is an upscale newer mall with stores like Neiman Marcus, Ann Taylor to name a few. While at the mall visit the Bay Street Area for additional restaurants like the CheeseCake Factory,etc. A beautiful hotel with poor service is a disappointment for me. I won’t stay there again. I found this airport hotel was beautiful with great service..

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

The Renaissance Tampa provided an excellent stay while we were in Tampa for the Outback Bowl. The hotel is connected to the International Plaza, and Bay Street, a dining/entertainment area with restaurants such as Brio, Cheesecake Factory, Capital Grille, etc. The hotel is in close proximity to Raymond James Stadium, Legends Field, downtown, and Tampa International Airport. The rooms are large, and nicely decorated. This hotel is not, however, a resort with a large pool area and a lot of activities. If you don't need that, then I would definitely recommend this hotel while staying in Tampa.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Winter Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I planned an all girls pre-bachelorette party and we stayed at this hotel...kind of a mistake. We were placed by the emergency exit on the 6th floor (which I didn't mind) but 30 minutes into our conversation between three of us at 9:00 pm security came to our door to tell us to keep it down :( That was a bummer seeing as though we were far away from other guest. We did turn it down a notch and enjoyed the comfort and beauty this place has to offer. Shares a parking lot with the Int'l Mall which is great for shoppers like me, but that also means the designated parking for the hotel is VERY LIMITED. The location is also really close to the Cheesecake Factory, Brio and Bar Louie...Fun times!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I brought my teenage son so we could Christmas shop at the International Mall. For all practical purposes, this Hotel is NOT a family oriented Hotel. Obviously they do not care about normal people. Just the dollar. The bottle of water already in the room costs 4.50 if you open it and/or drink it. I feel it is a trick to rack up your bill unaware. The internet is 13.00 a day just to connect to. They say you can use the interenet in the lobby for no charge, but you can only access their webpage. another farce. The iron was broken, there was dried toothpaste all over the vanity when we checked in, andthe bed cover had dark spots all over it and it looked like it just came out of a paper sack. (creased and wrinkled). I look for cleanliness when I travel and especially when I pay what I did at this Hotel. Although The housekeepers were very nice, I was afraid to touch anything for fear there would be hidden charges pop up on my folio. Sorry, not for me and i wont come here again. Ill go across the street.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

We had very little interaction with the staff, but when we did they were friendly and allowed us to check in early upon request. The rooms were good, comfortable beds, very nice and pretty new looking. I liked the decor. They were extremely quiet, which was great, I slept well.

The only thing I didn't like was having to pay extra for internet. I'd much rather internet be included in the total price than feel like I'm being nickled and dimed. I was upset because on the website when you click to pay for "24 hours" of internet they don't tell you that the 24 hours is from 12pm-12pm, it doesn't just start whenever you click. So I paid at 10m one night thinking it would last until 10am the next morning and nope, SURPRISE! I had to pay again in two hours at midnight. Incredibly annoying and shady policy on that.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Tampa Hotel International Plaza? Share your experiences!