“Great choice in Ybor City.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tampa
Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn
You added Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1915 Republica de Cuba, Tampa, FL 33605   |
Ranked #64 of 160 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida
“Great choice in Ybor City.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The venerable Don is full of charm and character and the location is perfect for bar-hopping off 7th Ave. Rooms are good-sized and we had a huge balcony with a view (312). Staying here makes you feel like you've stepped back in time. I was not prepared for soft water from the shower. Definitely takes some getting used to. The a/c was icy cold and the bed was comfy. For $90 including free parking this was quite a deal. The lobby is huge and the staff is constantly cleaning, painting, etc. and the care shows.

I look forward to another stay here next month.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigBlueiFlorida
Damon S, Owner at Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. We really do care about our inn, so it's nice to know that came through in our work and service. I hope you get a chance to visit Ybor City again soon!

Take care,
Tessa Shiver (Owner)

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The outstanding staff made our trip enjoyable. They treat everyone as a VIP. They gave us the history of the hotel and made recommendations for our night out. Our room was beautiful and clean. Breakfast was great. The hotel is in the heart of Ybor City with a streetcar/trolley stop at the hotel. We never needed a car the whole time we were there. The streetcar also took us to downtown Tampa. We are looking forward to our next visit and don't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Damon S, Owner at Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. Knowing that you can't wait for your return is the best compliment. I look forward to your next stay as well, and I hope you get a chance to visit Ybor City again soon.

All the best,
Fort Myers Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

A girlfriend and I booked a room for a girls night out in Ybor. We had never stayed here before and thought we'd give it a try. We were blown away by the charm of the Inn. Our room was very spacious and pretty. As a bonus, the night we stayed was Swing night and we had a fabulous time dancing the night away with a friendly group of people! All the staff was very friendly and I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Damon S, Owner at Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Hi Charity,

Wow, blown away! I'm thrilled to know you and your friend had such a fabulous time. As a small business owner, I sincerely appreciate you recommending us. Hope to see you again the next time you and your girlfriend plan a night out!

Take care,
Ocala, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at this Historic inn and when we first entered we were amazed at the beauty and splendor of this Historic Place. We came to the desk and were treated fantastic. On top of this we were asked to come to the Director Tessa Shiver's Birthday and engagement that evening. It was a fantastic event in surroundings out of a fantasy land with food, music etc. Our rooms were extremely large with 2 queen size beds and the most comfortable mattresses we have ever slept in. Our rooms with its tremendous ceilings as well as throughout the place was immaculate, and amazing how well all is kept considering the fancy carvings, chandeliers and all throughout. The breakfast were superb with most anything one could wish from yogurt cakes, fresh oranges, milk etc. It was a pleasure to leave our car right where we entered the hotel, awhile other places were charging $8 per night to park. The Don Vicente is right in the heart of Historic Ybor City with amazing fine restaurants, a brewery, coffee mill, cigar company that we visited, as well as a great museum right nearby and an old time Streetcar trolley to take you through the city . My wife uses a walker and the hotel staff and rooms were great for us. What made us also choose this inn is that the air conditioning system was superb with central air where you can control your own settings in your room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bill M
Damon S, Owner at Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for your review. It was a pleasure having you at my party, and I'm delighted to know your overall experience at our inn was special and memorable. Hope you get a chance to stay with us again soon!

Best wishes,
Tessa Shiver
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

A former fan of the hotel, I have to say that I'm not a big fan of your management. I was scheduled to stay with you last Friday evening as a part of an event. When I booked, I asked specifically for room 305. I was told, "No problem." When I called back to confirm a couple of weeks ago (after being on the phone for 20 minutes because my reservation was lost), I was once again told, "No problem." I only live 20 minutes away, so I didn't have to stay the night in the hotel. I was curious about room 305 and often talk about it when giving ghost tours of Ybor.

So, when I was checking in last Friday and was handed the keys to 307...well, you can imagine my disappointment. I was told that people had to be moved to 305 because their AC went out and they needed a double queen room. I would almost buy this excuse except 307 (the room that I was being given) is also a double queen. So, the front desk clerk flat out lied to me.

Then, I got to spend an hour on the phone with Damon and listen to him lie to me over and over about how they don't promise specific rooms, even though I not only was promised a specific room by two different clerks but I was even on a conference call with one of the clerks and the host of the event when I was made that promise the second time. He also retold the "double queen" lie and even tried to convince me that my room being given to somebody else was somehow equivalent to my room not being habitable because of damage or the ac being out.

After about an hour, Damon finally agreed to make things right and comp me a night stay in 305 for a future date. I was perfectly okay with that arrangement as long as I could get out of staying that evening. I had no reason to spend the money except for the curiosity of staying in 305. The family of the host was not okay with the arrangement and argued on my behalf, but I asked them not to. They insisted on me getting comped last Friday as well as getting 305 for a future stay. I said it wasn't a big deal but they felt it was. All I did ask for was a place to get ready since I had come expecting a room to shower, iron my and my son's clothes, and get ready for the event. The girl at the front desk offered me a room to get ready in, since it wasn't going to be used. Having worked in the hotel industry for a few years, I knew this to be policy in situations where a customer was inconvenienced. So, I got to iron my shirt, shower and get ready (quickly, now...since I had spent well over an hour dealing with this issue) before the event. In exchange for all of this inconvenience, I was being treated to a night stay in room 305, as promised. I still felt like I was getting the short end of the stick (as did the family), but I was fine with it.

Then, today, I get a call from Damon saying that he was reneging his offer for the comp stay since he "no longer felt it was merited." In other words, since he managed to convince the family and friends of the host as well as everyone standing in the lobby that he was concerned with customer service and at least resembled an upstanding human being, that was good enough. He didn't need to follow through with his promise of quality customer service since I was no longer posing an immediate threat to his credibility.

Suffice to say I am extremely disappointed in every aspect of your establishment. From lost reservations, to runarounds, to lies, and finally to reneging promises, it has just been one huge disappointment. The number of people that I have sent to your establishment through word of mouth and through ghost tours will now be told the truth. I can only hope that none of the people that I've sent to you over the years had to deal with who you really are.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
12 Thank Tom_B_Tampa
We are a small family business that is known for our hospitality. As you mentioned, it is our policy that we don't guarantee specific rooms, however, we do accept requests and do our best to accommodate. When the A/C went out, room 307 had already been occupied, so we moved the guests to room 305. The next morning, the guests in room 307 checked out while the guests in room 305 were still with us. You still received a double queen, as you were guaranteed, just not the specific room number. This is standard policy in all hotels. We didn't think it would be right to kick them out of their room, just because you had to have a specific room number. Clearly you would not want this done to you either.

Management decided not to give you the gift certificate, because of how mean and loud you got with our staff. Even the people behind you, waiting to check in (that do not know you), apologized on your behalf to the front desk staff that you berated. You sir, should be ashamed of yourself, for treating people the way you did that evening. Call it what you want, but our family decided that we did not want to have you back in our inn for those reasons.

- Tessa Shiver, Owner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the inn for my friends wedding and this place is absolutely incredible. If your into art and history and headed to Tampa, this place is highly recommended. The history of the inn, being previously a clinic, is rich with mystery, wonder and creates the perfect atmosphere to envision your own fantasies. The walls are adorned with beautiful art pieces, the furniture is fit for royalty and the rooms are cozy and inviting. The staff is fantastic, friendly and extremely accommodating. It is a perfect setting for a bride and groom to play out their own fairy tale!

• Stayed May 2013
Vero Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I booked a room with this hotel. I had a problem with my reservation so I called the hotel to talk to someone in regards to it. The first time I called- I was asked to call back as he could not hear me over the sound of a band playing. So I waited and called back. Then when trying to talk to Chris-while trying to discuss my issue, he HUNG UP on me. I had asked for a manager and was told he would not be in until MONDAY (I called on a Friday).
I should of followed the lead of all the horrible reviews on this place. I will go back to staying at Hiltons.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank SallyB88
Damon S, Owner at Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Sally,

Thank you for letting me know about your experience. We are a event destination and sometimes the music is so loud we can not hear. I completely understand how frustrating that is, and the last thing I want is for our guests to feel neglected or unappreciated. When you get a chance, please call me directly at (813) 241-4545. I'd like to make things right.

Best,