“So terrible we did not want to stay in the room but no other hotels were available.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn

Save Saved
You added Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn to your Saves list
Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn
1915 Republica de Cuba, Tampa, FL 33605   |
Ranked #51 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011 via mobile

Upon entering the lobby, you are greeted with sagging couches and chairs, fake plants, and a mishmosh of styles. Tiffany-style lamps to baroque-style paintings to columns and saloon worthy "things." front desk said our room would not be ready for another 30 mins although we arrived past check-in. The whole Inn was reserved for an event so we looked forward to relaxing in the room prior to getting ready. But no, the room was like a dungeon--maybe a storage room they turned into a bedroom. I was truly disappointed as this room did not reflect what they advertised. We left the room to find someplace to relax because we felt like we were stuck in a sickly green utility room.
BAD: No closet, thin towels, dust on the curtains that wouldn't close, dust on the fake fern, nowhere to hang our clothes to keep them from wrinkling, and really, nothing like they advertised on their website.
GOOD: Free parking (if you can find one) and free Wifi.

• Stayed December 2011

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I truly think the other reviews on this hotel was done by their owners, b/c anyone that stays at this dirty hotel will learn the truth..it was filthy, the staff was drunk and unprofessional..I had a wedding reception there and the staff was drunk and trying to get phone numbers from my maids of honor..I was truly embarrassed...when I tried to ask for a manager they were not available..as I had cigarrette smoke blown in my face...a waste of money and a waste of time....the location was great but the staff was horrible....I'd suggest having the staff learn professionalism as opposed to who can out drink the party! On top of that the outer vicinity reaked of marajuana...and I overheard staff (long curly black hair ask for a number to purchase as she said "a weed sack" from the gentleman in front of my son....Horrible place reporting to better business bureau....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

the hotel was once a hospital which closed about 40 years ago and was completely redone when the new owner purchased it. It's beautiful and quaint. I found the staff very friendly and accommodating. I went for a wedding and the couple had rented out the hotel and the guests rented out their own individual rooms. It was beautiful for the wedding which had about 30 guests and was perfect. We had the hotel to ourselves, so there was no one outside of the wedding guests staying. It's Ybor City, so yes, there will be noise, but i didn't notice it was excessively loud when I went to bed, outside of the guest staying up all night on the patio hooting and hollering, but I expected as much from them ;) There was only one night clerk on and she was quite friendly and nice, and I had a nice conversation with her about the hotel and its history. People seemed to respect the no smoking in the hotel rooms, but yes, they were smoking on the patio, and, yes the clerk smoked on the front porch as well. This didn't bother me, but if you have a strong aversion to cigarette smoking then you should probably look elsewhere, I did not however, smell it in my room. I would definitely stay again and it is probably one of the nicer places to rent out for an event. It's quite unique, not the typical corporate hotel and is privately owned. The owner supports the local community and artists (one whom he commissioned to paint the paintings in the hotel) which i thought was cool. If you like elegant, independent and unique, this is a great place for you. My only complaint was that they don't serve breakfast on Sunday, and I was really hungry at 7am, but the clerk did have coffee ready and it was fresh ground and quite good. As far as kids are concerned, I don't think I would bring my young kid to Ybor City for night time events at all, anywhere, it's a club town at night, but great restaurants and beautiful to tour during the day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel was extremely loud, reaked of ciggarette smoke, rude staff and needed some cleaning. The location description is correct when it says "Historical". Staff spent most of the night outside smoking which leaked into the dining area. Horrible hotel for an enjoyable weekend. I'd suggest this hotel to anyone who is looking for underage partying and possibly drug usage. The pictures are not up todate. The bathrooms had rings around the tub, and when my husband called the front desk clerk Lisa she became irritated, and then he called again and someone by the name of Conchuetta (sp) was even worse! He went to the front desk and of course she was outside smoking with 1/2 the staff. Very unprofessional and bedraggled. Not the place for children or anyone who wants to be treated decent. There are many more hotels nearby that you can get great service. Also, they had parties going on 1/2 the night and staff was as intoxicated as the guests in the part. Never Again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Beloit, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

My boyfriend and I rented room 308 at the Don Vicente because he was brought to Tampa for buisness and we wanted to expierence Ybor City.

We were VERY pleased with the room. The hotel has been redone and maintains a sophisticated, hostorical feel. Our room was on the corner of the building and very sunny, warm and welcoming. WE enjoyed our balcony and view of the street of Ybor. If you want to walk around the historic district I promise that you will not find a better location than the Don Vicente Inn.

We stayed for several nights and became friends with many of the staff. They were all friendly and extremely knowledgable about the history of the hotel and the locations of things to do in Ybor. We asked them for several reccomendations of places to dine and visit and all of their suggestions were great. Lauren was a joy to chat with, Lisa was extrememly helpful, Ray was patient and Kind, Michele was the happiest waitress to have breakfast with, and Cheetah Girl gave me a great reccomendation of where to get my nails done, shop, and relax.

The restaurant in the hotl, Luigi's, has a SUPERB breakfast and you really get a good meal forthe price. Eggs, authentic Italian Sausage, breakfast potatoes and coffee all for $5! Who can argue with that? Luigi even stopped by our table and chatted with us.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Jack Shiver, the man with the vision of revitilizing the hotel and the city. He too was a pleasure to talk to and very courteous.

I know my boyfriend and I will be back to Ybor and we wouldn't think of staying anywhere besides the Don Vicente Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Etheslvill, AL 35461
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We have stayed here twice. Both stays have been very pleasurable. We like the convenience to Ybor's nightlife district. The rooms are clean and well appointed, but could use some slight attention to maintenance. Would definitely stay here again. Staff is extremely courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a room with the mini balcony.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had reserved two rooms, one king and one with two double beds as we were traveling with 2 children and 3 adults. Our reservation was for a Thursday night. It seems that the event planner (not Lauren) had canceled our reservation for the room with the double beds to accommodate a week-end wedding party. The large king suite was offered as a substitute, but when it was realized that we really needed two beds, one for an adult (grandma) and one for the kids, the day manager (I'm so sorry I didn't catch his name) had a mattress brought up to the large King Suite (room 311) and Lauren brought linens for the kids and made up the bed. While we were waiting Lauren personally served us with drinks she mixed for us at the bar. The manager was most apologetic and accomodating.
Lauren was quick to bring a wastebasket to the room (there wasn't one) and she also was the one to perform maintenance when the hot water faucet wouldn't shut off. The cold water faucet never did work.
I do have a complaint with housekeeping. Before I could take a bath, I had to wash out the tub as there was a soap scum ring. Obviously, housekeeping had not only failed to replace the wastebasket, but had also failed to clean the tub. Also, you also had to run almost a full tub before you could get hot water.
It is a shame that the owner spent all that money restoring the hotel and does not seem to be able to keep up the maintenance.
The phone did not work in the other king bedroom (I think it was room 314).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn? Share your experiences!