“It was just fine.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Tampa - Airport West

Save Saved
You added Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Tampa - Airport West to your Saves list
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Tampa - Airport West
Ranked #122 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Land O Lakes, Florida
“It was just fine.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

This was a week long stay for me. The place is nothing exciting, but it gets the job done. All I needed was a place to hang my clothes, do some minor cooking (microwave) and get a night of quiet sleep. It hit each goal.

I was in the smallest room available. Nothing fancy, kind of a dorm room feel. But, I didn't have to share my shower or kitchen with 7 other guys either.

All in all, I would stay here again if come back for work.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the building have better lighting.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was leaving China after 11 years and returning home. Did my homework on hotels to find a cat-friendly hotel on choicehotels.com, which advertises hotels as pet-friendly. They ignored 3 e-mails to them. Made an international call to the Suburban Extended Stay Hotel on Hillsborough Ave., Tampa, talked to the owner and made a reservation. To make a long story short, at 65 years old, the trip from China to Hong Kong to Korea to Dallas to Houston to Tampa was long and exhausting. My brain was fried and I desperately needed a room and a bed.

I was refused the rental car I reserved, had to find another, get cat litter, had a detour and got lost driving around at night, even though I had lived there before going to China. I was totally disoriented. It wasn't until I walked in at 11:30 at night that I was told they don't allow pets. If I had been told that, I obviously would have made a reservation at a different hotel. They had me sign a 2-page document saying things like I had to wash my dishes and pick up the trash before I checked out or would be charged $25 for cleaning. All these rules are outrageous, and totally slanted in the "Innkeeper's" favor. I figured I'd talk to the owner the next morning. Their "guard" constantly paced the compound.

At 3 in the morning, they were pounding on my door. They said I had a cat and he wasn't allowed there. I told them I had been asleep, wasn't dressed and would talk to the owner in the morning. At 9:30 the phone started ringing, but by the time I answered it, they hung up. I went to the office and talked to the owner on the phone. He basically told me "no pets, no exceptions" and hung up on me. Why hadn't he told me that if he's so anal about his policy?? And what is he doing advertising his hotel on a pet-friendly website when they're so pet-hostile? The clerk told me I had to get out or they would call the sheriff on me. He threatened me 3 times, though I was calm throughout. He gave me some time to get out, then called and said I had to leave sooner.

When I checked out, they charged me $117 for 12 hours in the room, $75 of that for pet cleaning when my cat had done absolutely no harm to the room. He said they had already called a "special cleaning company." It became clear that they had thrown many people out in the middle of the night because they had pets. The cat hadn't even peed. I forgot his litter and went back shortly after checking out. The room was already clean and ready to rent again. There was no "special cleaning."

When I got stronger, I went back and asked for a copy of the receipt for the room cleaning. I asked them if this was some sideline, renting out the rooms, throwing people out and charging them outrageous amounts for "cleaning." The owner came in and told me to come back the next day. I got an original copy, and a chance to talk to the guy out back working for the cleaning company. Come to find out he had just written the copy. They never cleaned the room, they just punished me for my cat. Called the owner of the cleaning company two different times, left a message and he called me back both times. I told him the second time what I wanted. Said he would e-mail me a copy. An hour later, got a call from the hotel telling me to stop harassing their vendor.

The guy refuses to accept responsibility for not telling me about their pet policy. If he had, this disaster would never have happened and I wouldn't have been put through the hell they forced on me. I'm going to dispute the charge on my credit card. I've been traveling my whole life. I have never seen anything like this before.

I vehemently advise people against staying there unless they have a need to stay in a prison camp. They use force and intimidation to have their own way. It's the worst I've ever stayed at despite their tacky toilet paper flowers and specially folded towels. They have blue-collar, rough-neck, construction workers staying there, so they're hard-core on everything. Avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
stoughton, ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is an extended stay hotel. Very limited amenities, very low price. You do not get daily maid service, but you do get a kitchenette, shower, two bars of soap, conditioning shampoo, but no lotion, a clean bed in a clean room. this hotel has three levels, some supplies can be purchased in the pantry, a self-service laundry, free parking. It is extremely close to the Tampa airport. nationwide and local telephone, but it is not a 24 hour front desk, it is only open 8 am to 11 pm.

I chose this hotel because it was right down the street from the car rental and airport and I had a very early morning flight. A lot of people who choose this hotel are here for a extended stay, but, I was alone, did not need to impress anyone and it was quite convenient and clean. The desk staff were helpful and assisted me with all my needs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here on business a couple of times while in Tampa. The folks in the office up front were pleasant and tried to be helpful. The rooms are quite basic but served their purpose adequately. This place seems to be a truckers favorite, probably due to the good location and favorable rates.One good tip for travelers would be to ask for a room towards the front, as the sides and especially the rear are somewhat dimly lit. On the positive side, there are a number of decent dining options and convenience stores close by. all in all, this place would fill the bill if you're looking for a good nights sleep at a reasonable cost.

Room Tip: room near the office towards the front on lower floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Havelock,NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had stayed at this Suburban for a while...no bells and whistles really. The staff is really friendly and accommodating. We had a problem with a leak in the room and they moved us to another room-upgraded at no extra charge. It needs some work in the cleanliness area but the cleaning girls are helpful and Kathy at the laundry room is super nice..just make sure you bring your dirty towels back before getting new ones and things go well. The bed was a little stiff, but we got and extra blanket to put under the sheet and things were a-ok after that. The bathtub was nice and roomy. The little kitchens come with a large pot, saucepan, fry pan, a set of Corelle dishes for 2, 2 mismatched forks, 2 mismatched spoons, 2 butter knives and 2 steak knives. Kitchenette has a microwave, 2 burner stovetop, a small coffee maker and mini fridge. You do need to get a key for ice from the office. There is a laundry room on premises ($2 wash & $2 dry). There is snack machine with variety of things. Cable with HBO and free wifi included.The hotel is next door to a Golden Coral and is very near lots of fast food places. The air conditioner was a little noisy, but hey at least it worked well. Overall, our stay was very good and we would go back again.

Room Tip: The bigger rooms are nice..queen and double rooms have a bathtub, whereas the smaller rooms have onl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DeBary, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

The bed was comfortable. The kitchen lacked a can opener and coffee is extra. Ice machine needs a key from front desk to get into. If you are low maintenance you will have no problem. I would stay again after another Raymond James event.

• Stayed March 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My room appeared clean at first glance. However, my socks and my bare feet both turned black after walking on the carpet. Lying in bed, I noticed some really disgusting looking stains on the curtain above me. I don't even want to know what those were!

There were other disappointments. Only some buttons on the TV remote worked, I had to get a light bulb from the office for a lamp that was burned out, somehow water kept getting everywhere in the bathroom, and the whole room needed a renovation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Tampa - Airport West? Share your experiences!