“Wonderful tour” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 118 Activities in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: As the sun sets, the restless souls of Ybor City's past begin to stir. Join us on a two hour tour to learn their stories as you walk the streets of this historic town with your guide.Tours begin at 6:30 p.m.Monday through Wednesday and 8 p.m. on every other night. Reservations are required. $25. per adult.
Allen, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“Wonderful tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We began our interest in ghost tours during a trip to Savannah. When we learned we'd be in Tampa, we came to Tripadvisor searching for a good ghost tour to book. The reviews on Tripadvisor pretty much rated this tour well above average so we decided to reserve spots for Sunday. We met Joe in front of King Corona Cigars Cafe and after gathering the rest of the tour, we began our walk. We had beautiful weather with a great breeze and cool temps but I doubt that warmer weather would have changed our ratings of the tour.

The walk is pleasant, unhurried, and not terribly long. The group was a total of 9 and that included Joe the guide. We all had a lot of fun, especially with the investigations using EMF meters. Photos are encouraged and lend to the investigative feel. Joe our guide was quite the storyteller with a good delivery and a great sense of his audience. He was very polite and well studied in the history of Ybor city and some of its most interesting citizens. We were out for around 3 hours or so but the time went pretty quickly.

I highly recommend this tour. Even if you are not a believer in ghosts, the history was highly interesting and entertaining. I think you'll have a great time.

Visited May 2014

Olathe, KS
“Enjoyed the stories”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I booked this online and thought it better be pretty good. And it IS! Greg was our guide, and he has a fantastic ability to tell stories. He has a deep knowledge of the area and is easy to listen to. I'm from the Midwest, so I knew little to nothing about Ybor/Tampa,and this was a great way to find out about those roots. We walked the streets for awhile, and eventually entered 2 historic buildings. Each time, we were given "ghost meters" and flashlights, and encouraged to take pictures.

Minor negatives: Greg talks a little fast at times. I think he just has too much information for the time allotted (about 3 hours total). The ghost meters were pretty much toys. They light up if you face North, or point them up, or just look at them funny. I really would have liked it if there was a planned "quiet" time where people could just listen. At times I thought I heard things, only to be drowned out by all the other stimuli in the room. Last, the group meets in front of a cigar bar. That's unfortunate because we don't all like to be choked by that smoke!

Bottom line: This was a very, very enjoyable time and you will learn a lot about the history of the city and cigar rolling industry, as well as the cultural interactions in the area. "Ghosts" are pretty much secondary. There is no attempt to contact or encourage activity. There is constant talking and ghost meter beeping. Still worth it, as long as your expectations are set accordingly. Mine were, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Visited April 2014
Oregon
12 attraction reviews
“Wow!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

My family loved the tour that Greg took us on!! He really brought the history of this area to life. Loved going into the Cuban Center where the Ghost Hunters filmed and doing a little "hunt" of our own of the basement and theater area. Definitely book this tour if you are in the Ybor city area!!!

Visited February 2014
Troutdale Oregon
10 attraction reviews
“Impressive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

If you like history and ghost stories you'll appreciate this tour. We had Greg as our tour guide and he is a great fellow! He did an excellent job painting pictures in words of the people and history of Ybor City. I had no idea such rich cultural and civic heritage existed in that region. Being from Oregon, we hear a lot about our 'western heritage' but it's so great to be reminded that so much was happening on THIS side of the country at the same time. We toured some unbelievable buildings, searched for ghosts with K2 meters, and while Greg told us 'ghost stories' they were more stories about the people that live there. There were hot spots all over the Cubano club. As soon as I started speaking in Spanish, I got reactions on my K2 meter. Amazing. When I switched to English, it slowed down or stopped. There's definitely a presence to both locations. The first location, the presence I'd term evil but at the Cubano club, more lost souls. It wasn't until my wife was startled by a 'woman' sitting in the theatre that things started to heat up. She saw an early America Cuban gal's upper torso, transparent grey and white, sitting facing the stage - as if watching a performance. I will definately be coming to this tour again if I ever return to Tampa. They were recently voted #1 Ghost Tour in the USA and I can see why. Professional, steeped in history, and scientific. I felt like I was on an episode of Ghost Hunters. Great job Greg!

Visited February 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
7 attraction reviews
“Best ghost tour my wife and I have been on!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I often take ghost tours when we travel, and like other reviewers, have been on many in some of America's most haunted locations.

This one is special.

It isn't cheap ($25 / person) ... but definitely worth the money, and here's why:

1) Our tour guide (Greg), is a professional actor and a magnificent story teller. He does a great job of being engaging without resorting to being cliche and hokey. I'm also told that the other guide (John) is just as good, and just as passionate about what he is doing.
2) Besides just "ghost stories" and legends, you are provided with a well researched, well documented, overview of the history of the Ybor City area.
3) In addition to "walking the streets" (as most ghost tours do), this tour takes you inside a pair of reputedly haunted locations (both of which have been investigated on major television networks), and gives you the chance to do your own "investigating" using photo / video equipment (which you supply) and an electromagnetic energy detector (which the tour supplies).

If you're interested in either the paranormal, or simply in the colorful history of the places that you visit, I highly recommend that you take this tour.

Visited January 2014