“Dont Go!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #122 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
New York City, New York
“Dont Go!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Stayed at another Red Roof Inn it was great. So I didn't check for the reviews at this one, it really sucks, dirty, filthy, mildew and unclean rooms. So here it goes traveled from New York To Tampa to go to Bush Gardens. Clerk was great gave us our room, opened the door smelled mildew carpets were very dirty. My kids and I took off our shoes and felt the carpet soak with water our socks turned black from the dirt in the carpets. Clerk gave us another room the room was freezing, found a fragrance pack in the AC unit. Because this room really smelled of mildew also the carpets were very dirty, the shower was not cleaned the draws were broken and dirty. No hair dryer in the room, the pool was dirty and disgusting went to the clerk told her I was leaving and not to charge the credit card. Worst place I have ever been to. Called the credit card company and requested a stop payment be caused it stilled showed a pending charge on it after 4 days. For my closing always check this review site before saying any place I didn’t this time and had to search for another hotel. Luckily I found one for me and my family paid double the price but it was night and day. Will say at the Holiday Inn always worth the price. Just forgot to take pictures Because pictures are worth a thousand words beware do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Uithoorn, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stayed 2 nights with 2 kids. The hallways are very dirty. They wanted to charge extra for a safe without asking if we needed one. In bathroom were hairs hanging on walls on arival. Dirty carpet. Housekeeping did put new towels in the room, but the beds were not made. On request only answer was:"I will tell the manager".

Would not recomend this place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

The last time I stayed in this area I stayed at the Days Inn a few blocks down the street. I had decided then that I would try this hotel next if I was ever back in the area. If you use the Florida coupon book (found at rest stations all over the state, it's the big green one) you can get a great deal on a standard room. The rooms here are a lot better then the Days Inn rooms. They are clean, bright, functional. Nothing fancy, a few things that have started to look old, and the fixtures are not the greatest, but for the most part for the price you are paying you are getting a good deal. Especially when everything in this town is super expensive. There were just a few things that made me not give it 5 stars though. For one, although I had paid for the whole week (check in Monday check out Friday) my key only worked for one day at a time. Every day I had to go back to the office to reset it. 2nd, there's no breakfast, only coffee, and only starting at 6 am. So if you are an early riser in desperate need of free caffeine you are out of luck. The area is not the greatest but it is not horrible, I didn't feel unsafe but I did see a few questionable ladies walking around. Busch Gardens is literally 2 minutes down the road (you can practically see it from the hotel) so for all you touristy peeps you are set there. Tons of restaurants all up and down the street, however for a good meal you can't get back home try Ruben's Cubans just a few blocks up, 4941 E Busch Blvd. Excellent turkey club sandwich, make sure it's pressed and toasted! The standard room does not come with a fridge or microwave, but that is part of getting the deal with the coupon. The gentleman that works the evening shift, Steven, is at all times very professional and nice, he definitley gets 5 stars. After all is said and done I would recommend this hotel, just don't expect anything fancy. For that you will have to fork over twice as much money somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Milwaukee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

OMG! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

After check-in I walked to the room only about 5 rooms down from the office. When I opened the door it was immediately obvious the room was occupied. Luckily for me the residents weren't there. I went back to the office and told the girl the room was already rented and she didn't believe me and had to see for herself. Once she agreed the room was indeed occupied she reluctantly gave me another room. I think she thought I was pulling some type of scam.

I was very hungry at the time so I went to a near by Burger King before entering my room. When I walked in with my food I almost threw up. The room smelled like death and cigarettes with a hint of pinesol. Because I was so hungry I tried to eat but it wasn't going to happen. I walked back to the office and asked for my money back. I was asked if I wanted another room and said emphatically NO!

It was 10PM and I had no idea where I was going to go. Somehow I stumbled across another Red Roof Inn across from the county fair grounds. There the room was clean and unoccupied.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We stayed here for two nights since it was so close to Busch Gardens and we had a coupon that made it even cheaper. We had also stayed at another Red Roof Inn the night before, which had been a very nice place.

The good things first:
- Free wifi and parking
- Close to shops and restaurants
- Walking distance to Busch Gardens

Bad:
- No fridge or microwave! If I had known beforehand I would have stayed somewhere else
- Lots of mosquitos in our room! We never left the door open for long
- FILTHY carpet! Our white socks turned black. I've never seen worse
- Receptionist was not very friendly. She seemed like she hated her job and couldn't care less about the guests
- Bathroom sink was difficult to turn on and off. People with reduced arm strength or hand grip would have problems with this
- It's not as close to Busch Gardens as you might think. The entrance is at the far other side of the park. I was so tired after a day at the park that I took a taxi instead of walking back

I would never stay here again. It's easy to find a lot better for the same price.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

The front desk personnel lied, but were nice. They gave us a room but we had to kill bugs (roaches) every morning when we awoke. We called the front desk and told them the carpet was extremely wet in spots. We were told they had just shampooed the carpet, so we agreed to let it dry over night. It did, but when we walked around in our socks the bottoms of the socks became totally BLACK with dirt. We told them they needed to get thier money back for the shampoo job. Overall not a clean place to stay.

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Kutztown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

The room could have been a bit cleaner. All in all, it is an average budget motel. We stayed two nights. When we got back to our room on the second night at 5:40 p.m., housekeeping had not been there yet. I would stay there again because of the location near Busch Gardens and the price, but don't have high expectations. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn Tampa Busch? Share your experiences!