“Not enough Channels” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Not enough Channels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Red Roof Inn Fairgrounds Tampa FL.
Everything in the room was satisfactory. Now I could be like others and complain. But, the couple of things that keep me from giving this place five stars is their was a chip in the tub. It looked like it was rusted or a chip of paint or part of the tub was damaged near the drain. I let the front desk girl know about it and she even offered me to change rooms but as I said it wasn't no problem. Now the shower had hot water and great pressure so that was a plus. Now I did forget to tell them that the tub was slow to drain but still not too slow so it was okay. The beds are very comfortable and the floors are the new fake wood so your socks won't get dirty like they do with those places that have carpets. Some around the beds. Very restful sleep. I was right next to the office as well and the vending/ice machines were nearby. The only suggestions I would like to see is putting micro/frigs in all rooms like other hotels do. I know they're in the upgraded rooms such as the Superior Kings and I think in the upgraded double rooms. Like I said it would help out to have them. Also to have hair dryers in all rooms. My wife does come prepared with her own hair dryer so it wasn't a problem. Now for my title. They only have 33 channels so if you're looking for a lot of choices on tv don't expect it. They do have nice flat panel tv's with great reception. I do wish they had breakfast. I know Red Roof doesn't for the most part offer breakfast but for the price and yes I payed the coupon rate of $46.99 before tax. However, I have payed that rate at other chains and still got breakfast as well. But, I did run next door to the gas station and got something quick to eat for the family. Overall I would stay again if I had to. Oh, if anyone is looking for a swimming pool this location doesn't have one so if you want to go swimming you will have to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: No pool at this location so expect that if you stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I see you enjoy our new rooms. Sorry the channel line up does not quite meet your expectations. We do try to keep the most popular. Again, thank you for your comments and hope to see you soon.

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Making a long story short... The rooms stink, the towels & wash cloths are as coarse as burlap, the floors have a couple SMALL rugs (no carpet), the ice machine doesn't work, the dumpster is located too close to rooms (approx 50 ft away) & smells horrid, The thermostat on A/C in the room is inoperative and you either turn on A/C & freeze or turn it off & sweat, I witnessed numerous drug deals in the rear parking lot (I reported & nothing was done), there was also people/thugs loitering around the cars in the parking lot which was ALSO reported, and nothing was done, last but not least, the security guard stays up in the office reading magazines/newspapers all night instead of outside in the parking lot, keeping the beggers, and other unsavory characters away from the REGISTERED guests... This motel is nasty, AND poorly managed... These are the things I noticed over a 3 day stay... My NEXT email is going to notify Hotwire/Expedia.com about the conditions of THIS property since they are who I booked through... The other Red Roof Inn at the Brandon location is a much better, and cleaner property... Dennis

• Stayed August 2013
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on your stay with us.
I will investigate these issues immediately. If you would like to contact me please do. Again I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a Red Roof inn that has been remodeled and they did do a good job which does make it better than your average Red Roof Inn. The biggest problem is that it is quickly showing the signs of wear and abuse that hotels at the lower end of the rate spectrum incur. Although you do have a fair mix of guests here, you do need to be careful at night. We have stayed here on a couple of different occassions and the property has been consistent. Overall, it is average, you are getting what you pay for, no more, no less. As far as the staff goes, the maids are difficult, expect them to start pounding on your door at 8:00 AM regardless of whether you have the DND sign up. When I say pounding on your door, that is exactly what I mean, you will think that your door is about to be kicked in. If you don't answer they will attempt to enter, if you have the deadbolt expect them back in ten minutes to rinse and repeat. My wife asked one of the maids for a extra towel when she was cleaning another room and the maid literally threw it at her and then slammed the door - awful. That being said about the maid staff, we did bring and discuss our complaint with the Manager, he was fantastic in his response, genuine concern and empathy and he really did want to fix the situation for us, which he did do. There is also a front desk associate, female who both times we have stayed there has checked us in who is incredibly sweet and friendly, do not remember her name, but she and the manager are two of the positives here. As I said, you need a quick overnight or just inexpensive hotel, this will work for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry about the issues you had but appreciate the point you make of taking care of these issues. I do also appreciate your return business and hope to see you again soon.
Cocoa, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here like most people do as a one night stay while at a concert. I have read the reviews that say it's good for that one night option. I would disagree. The rooms were out dated, small and dirty. When I opened the door the room had a strong smell of mildew. It was like going into an old trailer that nobody had been in for years. Smelled very musty. The bed spread had stains all over it. Not one stain on one bed. BOTH beds had stains all over the place. I guess those two are pretty big strikes in my book. The A/C worked "ok" but certainly wasn't "cold". I have stayed in the Holiday Inn next door on four occassions and it is well worth the extra 20/night price. It's all new, rooms are larger, cleaner and you get breakfast in the morning. I will not stray again when coming to a show. Those that have not stayed there don't know the difference.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday next door instead.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We at Red Roof Inns try to give all our guests a comforatable stay at an affordable price. I hope you will consider us again and allow us to show you a pleasant stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

For a motel experience, this was better than expected. We stayed one night for a concert. Location was perfect. Went to Wing House and walked straight to the show. Clean and housekeeper offered us a 12:00 check out because we were running behind. Will stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I see you enjoyed the location we have as well as the restaurant adjacent to us. I hope you did not get too wet at the concert and we look forward to your next visit. Thank you again.
Rockwell, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Overall our stay was fantastic. The facilities appeared for the most part in great shape with a few small exceptions. The location was good for the area. Pricing was very reasonable and staff were pleasant to interact with. The combination of these things created a wonderful stay. We stayed in a Superior King room. Room was very clean and welcoming when we arrived.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I see you like our new rooms as well as our staff. I also see you noticed the great value we offer and hope we will see you again soon. I am happy you had a Fanastic stay.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Brand new fluffy towels, updated linens, bathroom has been redone, and new carpeting. They honored the walk in rate from hotelcoupons.com and it ended up being half what our usual trip overnight motel would have cost. I would definitely stay there again but may pay the difference to make sure of availability. It would still be less expensive than 2 or 3 other hotel/motels in the immediate area. Good overnight rest stop.

Room Tip: I don't know if all rooms were as good as ours so ask for a renovated room when you book or chec...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for you comments. I am very happy you enjoyed our new rooms at such a great rate.
We will look forward to your next visit with us.

Been to Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!