“Red Roof - Tampa” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Peabody, Massachusetts
“Red Roof - Tampa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The staff is great and it is a good value. I have been to better Red Roofs but this one was fine. It was clean. The free wi-fi worked well although you need to log in every time you close your computer. Tub/Toilet area is tiny. Ker's Winghouse shares a parking lot with this Red Roof - great food at a great price.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are the same but I could be wrong.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. I do appreciate the nice comment about the staff.
They do work very hard for our guest's comfort. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Palm Bay, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My room smelled like cigarette smoke even though this is a non smoking facility. It may be because my neighbors kept smoking outside right by the AC unit, but I doubt it. I am staying here with my two daughters and did not feel safe enough to go back to the office and ask for a different room. The people that are walking around outside are shady looking and many had alcoholic beverages. The floor is also dirty. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I do apologize for the issue. I will talk to the team about this and discuss plans to prevent this in the future. I do hope you will try us again. I will discuss with my team how we can encourage the use of the smoking areas to help prevent this issue.
Chicago, Il
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We booked this place because it was close to the event we were going to attend. It was across a busy street so we still had to drive and pay for parking. It was OK but we would probably not stay here again. Free coffee is the only thing offered but when we went to get some they did not offer decaf except in small packets which we mixed with "hot water" (which was actually luke warm). There was nothing here that would make us want to come back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments. Hearing feedback allows us a chance to improve and I will discuss this with my team. I do hope you would consider us in the future should the need arise.
Medford,MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This Red Roof is a mixed bag. We booked a superior king room and had a clean room with a well designed workspace area and a comfortable king bed with nice quality cotton sheets. The room had a faint mildew smell, as others have noted, but keeping the air conditioner on helped eliminate that issue. The free wifi was a little spotty, the internet connection was dropped or off at least twice during a two night stay. I did hear other guests complaining at reception about noisy rooms or rooms with rugs that were dirty, old or smelly. There is no continental breakfast, good coffee is available in the lobby. There is an adequate Wing House restaurant next door and a Five Guys just down the street. The location is convenient to get in and out of downtown Tampa. On balance, if you do get a decent room this is an OK choice. If not, you probably will not be happy.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the main road, on the second floor and ask for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
i0092, Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. As a team we will review your comments to correct any issues you have mentioned. I do hope you will come back and visit us again. If you do please let me know so I would have the chance to meet.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

After a very long day of travel, we pulled into the Red Roof Inn not expecting too much for the price. The front desk staff was accommodating and check in was pleasant. We were given the last room in the corner on the first floor. The room was a bit dated and the bathroom was just okay. For a double room, there was only 2 towels total and only hand towel size. There was a small rug inbetween the beds that was flea ridden or bug ridden for sure. I suffered mulitple bites on both legs and thighs and on my arm as well. I did check for bed bugs and didn't see any, thank goodness! The hotel obviously allows pets in the rooms and after such a stay don't clean the rooms very well.
As another recent review stated, their room smelled of pesticides, I wish ours did! My legs are still itching and the bite sites are swollen. The bed was not very comfortable and I could not sleep anyway with all the bug bites! We will never stay at a Red Roof again.

Room Tip: There is a barbeque restaurant in front of the motel, so its hard to see from the road.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
I thank you for your review. Comments from our guest are always welcome. I do apologize for your stay not meeting your expectations. If you would like to contact me directly at the inn, please feel free. I will review these comments with the staff to see what we could have done better. Again thank you.
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I thought that by reading the other reviews on here that this was a good place to stay for a low price. WRONG!! The first room we were given smelled like mold and pesticide to the point of making me nauseous. I immediately requested another room and was shocked to see it was not much better. Dirty floors, the bed sheets, blanket, and comforter had nasty stains on them, and the smell was not much better than the first room. I was offered yet another room and it was the same thing as the others...nasty sheets and smell inside. We decided to stay in the second room offered because we came to town on a limited budget and couldn't afford to upgrade to a better hotel. I found very small bugs on the first set of sheets (not sure if it was bed bugs, but it sure looked like it) and requested a new set. We were given a new set the first night, but the front desk attendant claimed to not have access to a new mattress cover and comforter. We dealt with getting the run around for 3 nights just trying to get a new, unstained comforter and finally got one on the 4th night after screaming at the front desk attendant. We were given the first night free of charge, but the general manager refused to help any further than that after filing a complaint through guest relations. We will NEVER stay at a Red Roof again!! Worst experience at a hotel EVER!! Save your money and opt for something better!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you comments. I am sorry your stay was not to your expectations. I will review with the staff these comments to help prevent this situation in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed one night. The location was kinda secluded, just a Wing House close by which was closed. The place wasn't too busy. Upon checking in the front desk attendant was okay but not friendly by any means. The room was updated but not very clean. The walls in the bathroom were dirty and there was animal (cat or dog) hair all over the place. The next day I had white pet hair all over my socks. Anyway, the price wasn't bad, I guess about average for the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
i0092, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry your stay did not completly meet your expectations. I will share these comments with the staff and hope you will try us again in the future.

Been to Red Roof Inn Tampa Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!