“Barely Satisfactory; 2-1/2” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Lady Lake, Florida
“Barely Satisfactory; 2-1/2”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We chose this La Quinta due to close proximity to fairgrounds and Friday night concert. Never having stayed at a LQ before, we were careful to check Trip Advisor reviews and maybe expected just a little more than we got.
Overall, this place has a worn, dated look and seems to be needing cosmetic maintenance on many fronts. The pool area is one example, where a large crack around the entire pool is crying to be caulked.
The interior in general is pleasant but worn and not presenting a "real clean" face. On arrival to our room, I was immediately tasked with tightening up a toilet seat about to fall off. No details on the unpleasant tightening process will be offered, suffice ot to say, it further supports my overall cleanliness complaint. The bathroom is very small and disappointing, we don't like not having a sink in the bathroom - always prefering to wash hands BEFORE handling a doorknob and walking out.
The sleeping area (2 full size beds) was OK, with a fine new "high def" TV giving us many hours of Ryder Cup viewing. Not much extra floor space for suitcases and misc supplies we gathered for our 3 night stay.
The complimentary breakfast was OK also, not on par with others we've had at other chain hotels, but acceptable.
The hotel seemed to be almost fully occupied 1 or 2 nights and noise was never a problem - even in our 1st floor room, maybe 10 feet away from the parking area. The constant traffic noise by the pool drove us off after about an hour of swimming/sunning - busy road, many trucks adjacent to hotel.
All hotel personnel were pleasant and helpful, but La Quinta won't be among our top choices when planning future trips. Smokers hanging out near front and rear doors on several occasions are usually another complete turn-off for us, the cleanliness and the toilet/bathroom issues...so barely satisfactory...a 2-1/2, not really a 3.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have stayed at this particular hotel becasue it is close to the Fairgrounds for concerts and in a SAFER neighborhood. If you google the neighborhood of some of the 'cheaper' hotels, you will see that they are in questgionable areas. We found a clean room, it was quiet and we were able to eat a quick breakfast and get on our way. The staff was knowledgeable and we appreciate their help with directions. It as a great room at a good price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Sylacauga, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I expected an average hotel, and they delivered. Room was clean, but a little worn, A/C was good, WiFi worked OK, bed was not that comfortable, and both mornings the lobby coffee was weak. Average hotel at a good value, just as I expected.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have stayed at your hotel each time I travelled - this time was a Nightmare! I came to Tampa to take a very important position. I told the person that I was not familiar with the area and ask that I be put in the nearest hotel to my working address. I gave all the information that I possibly could to ensure that was a foul-up. I asked the person whom I spoke with to tell me how far the hotel was from my work address. I was told 2miles. I repeated it to be sure there wasn't a mistake. I left my work place on Monday August 6th
in a severe storm and drove for 15 miles in rush hour traffic arriving at the address after 9.00 pm. I waited for 30 minutes to be put in another hotel which was five minutes from my job site. It took me another 45 minutes to arrive where I should have been in the first place - and got an attitude from everyone. I finally got to a room that smelled so bad I ask to be moved . From 5.00PM to 11PM in the pouring rain will never and rush hour traffic. I will never stay at a LaQuinta again- this time it almost cost me my life. As a member of American Nurses Association (15 million) and counting I will be sure that none of these people experienced what I went through on the night of August 6 2012

Esther E. Sherman

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed two nights in this hotel. King room was tight and sad looking. Noticed black spots under soap holder in shower. Carpets had big spots on them. This old hotel needs some maintenance and rehab. Location is great as it is right across the street from the fairgrounds. I was sad as I expected more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
freedom1
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Since May of 2010 (Moving to Florida) my wife and I choose only LaQuinta hotels as their service, cleanliness, and value is extemely consistant at each and every one we chose to stay at. Only once did we stay in a hotel of another brand and it was a clear second but we had no choice as it was for business and it was selected for us. I would not hesitate to refer each and every reader to LaQuinta and you can know that you will enjoy and be comfortable. I joined the club upon my first stay and have never looked back as making reservations is so simple and quick and I know that upon my arrival I will receive the quality I have come to expect. I even got a freebie because of the points accumulated by my stays over time. Love the free breakfast as it provides the kind of wake up I love.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds - Casino? Share your experiences!