“Week end Wedding Visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North) to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5628 West Waters Avenue, Tampa, FL 33634   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Cruise Transportation
Ranked #34 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Week end Wedding Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at this Hampton because it was close to the Wedding site of my niece's wedding. Had two rooms and they were clean and comfortable. No problems with maintenance and found on duty staff most helpful in arranging shuttle service to Tampa International. Work out room small but adequate for our needs. Complimentary breakfast decent but no different than in other hotels. Wading pool on site is not heated. Easy to access from I-275 through the toll way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stay at Hilton properties often, particularly the Hampton Inn. This particular one was the worst Hampton experience I've had. Unfortunately, there are few hotels close to the office, and those that were had full bookings and were not part of my company's travel partnership, so I was unable to switch hotels. Two issues defined my stay:

1) Two days into a two-week stay, one of the managers entered my room unannounced at 12:45am. I happened to be awake at the time, but not dressed. It was a shocking invasion of privacy. Though it was an accident (she meant to enter the empty room next door) and the manager offered to remove that night from my bill, the fact that there was no knock to confirm the room is empty (as housekeepers do) was very concerning. It made me wary for the rest of the trip.

2) The same day, I discovered that the rotating temperature selection knob in my shower had no friction, and could not be set to any position that wasn't pointing straight down (cold) or straight up (scalding hot). The maintenance person was sent to my room 3 times over the course of the week, but ultimately said he could not fix the issue without shutting off the building's water and replacing the entire shower mechanism. The hotel was full at the time, so I wasn't able to switch to a working room until Saturday Eve. Again, staff offered to have one of the nights removed from my bill.

Since it was a business trip (company expense), a lower bill offers no compensation to me personally. I asked about some free-night vouchers for future use instead, but it turns out I wouldn't be able to use them at any other Hampton Hotel and I had no intention of returning to this area or this property.

Various other CONs:
-Horribly slow TV response and a leaky faucet (first room)
-Microwave was unplugged and the furniture unit it was installed in was too far from an outlet. (Second room)
-Fridge made frequent rattling noises (Second Room)
-Only ONE available outlet outside the bathroom and not covered by furniture (second room)
-Fitness center had free-weights but no weight bench, mirror, or TV.
-Could not change the time on the room clock.

PROs:
-Staff was very accommodating and apologetic, though they lacked that "eagerness" that I find at most Hamptons.
-Very Quiet
-Internet connection works well enough
-Parking was fine

Room Tip: Hit or miss regarding the quality of appliances and fixtures.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
syechan, Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North), responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology. We want you to know that the feedback we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and your comments regarding the housekeeping mishap, mechanical issues and amenity offerings and will help us to ensure such concerns do not continue in the future. Your comfort and safety is truly important to us. Again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We only stayed overnight between our cruise and early morning flight but the service was excellent. The staff made sure there were bags of breakfast for us and the free hotel shuttle picked us up an hour earlier than their usual start time. As well, we had free shuttle service within 7 miles of the hotel, so we were able to go to a local attraction and a restaurant without incurring taxi expenses. The room was clean and well appointed and it looked like the other facilities were well cared for. The outdoor pool was freezing but after days of swimming in the Caribbean, I wasn't missing out.

Room Tip: This may not be the prettiest location for longer stays and we didn't have the nicest view. As w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Room was nice and clean but had no fridge. The area is rather dumpy and the pool wasn't heated. When we arrived the locking mechanism on the door didn't work so we were shuffled to a different room. The Coimfort Inn next door looked like it would have been a better choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Concord, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The staff here is totally dedicated to satisfying their customers. Their efforts and professionalism will surprise you. The location fit my needs perfectly as well. I've seldom seen a hotel staff that tried so hard to get it right.

Room Tip: The quality of the breakfast was great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Morrisville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

It's pretty close to the airport, therefore, don;t expect it to be very quiet during the day or evening hours.
The hotel feels like it's new, however, there are some drawbacks:
1) Complained about the dripping faucet in the bath tub - they tried to fix it, but it's still dripping.
2) The bath tub faucet lever does not stay in positions other than 6 or 12 o'clock. My co-worker has the same problem in his room and complained to the front desk, but they said it works properly, while the problem was not resolved.
3) While fitness room has a new equipment and even free weights (!), it would be nice to have a TV, towels, and a wall clock there.
4) I use stairs a lot in lieu of elevator and found out that often the stairwell in this hotel is used to store excess furniture. Not that it blocks the passage, but it may reduce it. Number of times I had an exit from the stairwell on my floor (3rd) blocked by a laundry cart or a crib.
5) My co-worker had someone trying to enter his room in the middle of the night because the room number was not written clearly on the card by the front desk. The hotel ensured him they will not charge him for that night, which is a nice gesture. However, as it is business travel, he would probably prefer a different compensation.

BTW, I am still staying at this hotel, will see if it improves until I leave.

Rieupeyroux, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

After a long international flight, this is just the kind of hotel you need to crash in. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed was very comfortable and there was no noise of any sort to disturb. I could not fault this hotel, especially for the price. They even throw in a breakfast (of sorts) the following morning. Way, way better than the cheap and cheerful hotel experience I was expecting.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)? Share your experiences!