“Outdated rooms, very rude staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North) to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5628 West Waters Avenue, Tampa, FL 33634   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Cruise Transportation
Ranked #29 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Mexico City, Mexico
“Outdated rooms, very rude staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Avoid this hotel if you can, Rooms are extremely outdated, the room I got smelled awful, carpet and walls look aged. AC made a terrible noise ( like and old engine) everytime it kicked in which made my sleep terrible. I CAN tolerate that...what I cant tolerate is the staff being rude. Requested a change of rooms the first day of my stay because of the AC and a leak on the sink, but to my surprise Ms Michelle in front desk said she wouldnt approve any move in the rooms ( when they had available rooms); and I said they had rooms because that same night they finally changed me to another room which was even worse ( No King Bed, smelled the same and AC made the same awful sounds)
Front Desk Michelle is a Extremely rude person that shouldnt be facing claients never. Because of this I will file a formal complaint to the Hilton Corporation. i will avoid ever to stay in a Hampton Inn or another Hilton Resort. Tried to call manager's cell phone but always left a message( called 3 times) Overall extremely disappointing and frustrating experience

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
TPAVE, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North), responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Mr Mexico City,

Thank you for letting me know about your perception of our front desk. Michelle is new and is still learning our computer system and the entire process of changing rooms. I apologize that your request was not accommodated earlier and that your calls to a manager were also not responded too. This is the first I am hearing of the situation and I am disturbed by your comments as we take our guest service very seriously. Without having your name and date of stay, I am unable to review the particular room you stayed in to check to see if we need some additional maintenance to be done. Yours is not a normal response to our rooms as we are continuously updating them to match the brand style requirements, and our guests usually rate us as being very clean and fresh. I would love the opportunity to get that room information from you so that I can do a personal check on it. Please give me a call at the hotel so we can discuss this more.

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Kissimmee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

At check in, the front desk clerk was on the phone making a reservation but didn't even acknowledge me until she was done with the call, about 10 mins later. The clerk just had a very unfriendly, unpleasant attitude the entire time. A male clerk, who looked like maybe he was on a break when he first appeared, made little effort to help the female clerk. Neither one gave us any info about the facility. Not a word about breakfast, where to park or nothing! There wasn't anything about the room that stood out to make me want to come back. Really disappointing for a Hilton. Will not stay there again, Comfort Suites down the road is way better!!

• Stayed March 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed here for 4 days while we were in town for a wedding. The lobby is clean and nice, and the desk workers were friendly. The breakfast was wonderful, a nice assortment of fruits, cereals, oatmeal, and pastries... but best of all there were hot breakfast items: waffles, eggs, bacon, home potatoes, omlets, and sausage. The breakfast attendent was REALLY friendly!

My complaint lies with our room. We were in room 101. As soon as we walked into the room we smelled the funky musty smell that didn't leave the room the whole trip. The carpet and wallpaper look old/outdated. This was a handicapped room, though we do not have any special needs. The handicapped shower was awful. It's wheelchair accessable, which means there is no tub. Water got EVERYWHERE when we showered. The whole bathroom floor was soaked after showering, including the area around the toilet, which grossed me out a bit. I did ask the front desk about getting a different room several times, but it was spring break so they said they were completely booked. This room is NOT UP TO PAR for a Hampton Inn. I have stayed at other Hampton Inns in the past, and this is by FAR the worst.

The fitness center was clean, but the water cooler was empty and out of cups. They have 2 treadmills, an eliptical, and a bike. They do not have any weights, but you can go to a gym down the street for free if you want more workout equipment.

There is this big sign on the front desk that claims "If you are not 100% satisfied, you do not pay". What a joke. I told the front desk many times that our room sucked... but guess what, we paid full price. If we are in the tampa bay area again, we will stay FAR away from this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the first floor!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
TPAVE, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North), responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Rachel, Thank you for staying with us a few weeks ago. We certainly are grateful for being so busy the past several weeks and I apologize that we were not able to offer you the requested employee rate due to that room allotment being sold out. And I also apologize that we had to put you in our last available room, which was a handicapped accessible one. As I’m sure you are aware, we go to great lengths to make sure our handicapped rooms are truly accessible as required by ADA regulations; this is the reason why that particular bathroom is set up as it is. Our need to adhere to these federal standards is mandatory and therefore not something we can change and does not qualify for the 100% refund program. I am more than happy to discuss this with you on the phone, however, and ask that you please call the hotel directly so that I can better understand your complaint.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

The hotel location is very convenient. Rooms are very clean. Stayed at the hotel for several times. Breakfast was very good. The hotel management team is very helpful if you have special need. Very friendly

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Very clean, a helpful staff. Wonderful breakfast and a reasonable nightly rate.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Clean and comfortable, 24-hr coffee, tea and juice. very nice setting, comfortable lobby and room. We have a flight to catch at 6am next morning, and asked the earliest shuttle service to airport. To our surprise, the shuttle service is ON CALL, and we schedule our own time for shuttle service, and it's FREE. Wow, this is like a free taxi to airport. Definitely recommend to everyone.

Rising Sun, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel a number of times of the years, the most recent being Feb.2012, and the one thing I can call it is consistant. This property is yet another example of how hotels should be operated. the staff was professional, the entire facility is clean, and the breakfast good and filling with a good selection of fresh fruits.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)? Share your experiences!