“With no car, it was a delight” 4 of 5 stars

Celebrate the Savings
Ranked #7 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Henderson, North Carolina
“With no car, it was a delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

We booked two rooms for a business conference, so took a cab from the airport. This worked well as it looked as though the valets were overworked, and the portico was small for the amount of traffic. There are taxis, and two types of trolleys nearby, so transportation never was a problem.

Check in was easy and quick. The people were all exceedingly friendly and warm.

The rooms were both fine - one faced the water and one faced the city. Both views were nice. The beds are exceptional - and I'm fussy. I was not bothered by noise, but I sleep with earplugs, so that may have helped.

The concierge were all very helpful, as was every employee I spoke to.

The wired internet in the rooms didn't work for my ipad, so I cancelled it, and just used the free wireless in the public places. That was my only disappointment.

I ate at the Waterside restaurant one time and had a fresh caught fish and it was excellent.

In spite of the other reviews, I found this hotel very pleasant for a business trip.

Don't miss eating at Bern's while in Tampa!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

When you first enter the hotel you get the impression that this is a luxury or high end Hotel. Quickly it becomes apparent that it is not. First, it is hard to find anyone who works there. Here are some key things that make this place not worth the price of admission:
The pool -- very average looking, no one working in or near it to hand out towels or pick them up, one bar with no ambience
The rooms -- average looking, with small bathrooms
The staff --- your room will not be cleaned until you call...we returned from ouir day at 4:30 and still no one had been by.
The noise -- this is the biggest issue. The hotel is situated across the street from a bar that plays live music on weekend. The bay carries the music (or at least the bass) across the water and into your room.
Service -- called for a wake up call and they blew it off. nice.
Car parking -- valet is a must and be prepared to wait 15 minutes each time for your car. And since there is little room in the driveway, be prepared to wait while cars shift around to let you leave.
Ammenities -- none. No fridge, no iPod holder, no wi-fi, nada.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Coral Gables, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I returned from a two night stay at the night and while I recongize a Marriott is not the Four Seasons, this hotel really is a one star in every way. First, the hotel was completely overwhelmed by the group that was in town and even for a Platinum member, the wait to check in was more than thirty minutes. I went to the front and identified myself as a Platinum guest and the agent looked dazed. The hotel was not cleaned on the second day until I CALLED at 5:00 PM. Even then the housekeeper looked suprised when I complained about the coat of dust on the vent. The hotel needs a heavy and deep cleaning as it is used alot and the abuse shows. I left two messages for General Manager Mary Scott who never returned my call. When I called for the third time, she finally answered and after I explained everything, she apologized and hung up. I really could not beleive how poor of a response I received from a General Manager. I would not have her "manage" my dog house.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Sorting through all the reviews on Tripadvisor, I saw a lot of mixed reviews on this hotel, and some big warning signs, but I got a good rate, so decided to plunge in. How bad could it be, I thought, it's a Marriott? Pictures look nice and some people just like to complain.

Well, let me tell you, it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had at a hotel, and I travel a great deal.

As you'll see in other reivews, here are the pro's:
- excellent location with stunning views of the Bay (if you're on the bay side) or good views of the city (on the city side)
- very good, polite, well-trained staff
- walk to convention center, quick trolley ride to Ybor City
- 10 mins drive to airport via !-275
- clean, spacious rooms, with incredibly comfortable beds. I stay in a lot of Marriotts and the sheets are of a higher threadcount than the typical Marriott sheets. Also, the mattress topper seemed to feature real down/feathers as did the duvet. Really nice.
- Did I mention the gorgeous views?
- Nice roof top pool (3rd floor) and big exercise room

OK, here go the cons:
- Many of the reviews complain about the parking. There is no self-parking offered by the hotel so the only option is the valet parking (or booking the honeymoon package rate which includes parking). I thought I'd just park in the nearby garages operated by the City of Tampa, but THAT IS NOT ALWAYS AN OPTION as I learned -- if there is a game, the garage is turned into a $10 per entry garage with no in and out privileges so the valet parking looks like a great deal. There was a big convention there and the only parking option was the hotel valet parking. I will say the valets were super fast and efficient and friendly. But don't go like I did and think you're going to find a parking garage or street parking.
- The noise. If you're on the bay side, the view side, there is a bar called Jacksons across the river and OH MY GOD... Friday and Saturday nights, the booming bass of dance music permeated my room on one of the top floors of the hotel. I even called the Tampa police who informed me that noise ordinances only apply to the bars after 3 am. Seriously. After i heard that, the manager moved me to the city view side where it was quiet. And let me put this into context -- I had the down pillows wrapped around my head and could feel the bass on the mattress. I had the a/c on high to try to drown it out. Nothing would drown it out. It was the most powerless feeling. The manager said this is a frequent occurrence. Be warned.
- The smell of the rooms. Other reviewers have complained of a musty smell. My first room was perfect, no smell. The second room on a lower floor definitely had a musty smell. So it's a random drawing, sorry folks.
- The restaurant. I go to Disney World and I know crowds. This hotel was completely overcome by the convention in town. Breakfast wait for a table for two was THIRTY MINUTES. The line for the front desk was ridiculously long and disorganized, with not enough staffers. This hotel could learn something from Disney on crowd planning and management. The lobby was like an airport at 9 am, really busy, loud, and impossible to find a staffer to talk to.

When all is said and done, we go to a hotel to SLEEP. All the other stuff is extra. If I can't sleep at a hotel, it's a failure as a hotel, and unfortunately, this one failed the test.

Again, read all the other reviews, and don't make the same mistake I did...I was excited by the thought of the views and really dismissed the negatives other reviewers brought up. I paid the price.

Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I was here on business, so amenities were not my priority. However, my room on the top floor overlooked the water and I could not have been happier. The room was reasonably large, and the bathroom was quite spacious. Everything was clean and updated. The only downside was that housekeeping cleans late in the day, and I didn't get my room cleaned because I took a nap from 3-4 (twice).

The lobby was large and comfortable, and you could access free wifi as opposed to paying $14.95 in-room. There is a river walk that is quite nice, but don't go alone as there are a fair number of homeless people around. The breakfast and service in the cafe was quite good. A little pricey, but on a par with other hotels.

I was impressed with the access to entertainment. The hockey arena and convention center were across the street as was the terminus to the trolley. The trolley is a restored electric trolley and well worth the $5 round trip to the Ybor district. You can also walk to the aquarium and the Tampa Bay History Center. The Art Center and the Plant museum are a slightly longer walk but highly recommended. Also local cruises and such are available at the dock nearby. It would be easy to entertain children here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Gastonia, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stayed here for a conference, and appreciated the fact it is close to the convention center. While there was not a lot to do in downtown Tampa, that was mitigated by the fact that I didn't have much free time anyway. The double-bed room was a little on the "small size" but was perfectly fine for me. I had a balcony room, and only wished the balcony had a few chairs on which to relax while watching the activity at the marina. Be aware that the pool and pool deck are currently closed for some reason, but that information was posted prominently on their website, and arrangements have been made for guests to use a nearby hotel pool. Not an issue for me, but could be serious downer for those with kids. There are three restaurants in this hotel, and I enjoyed the sports bar (great nachos). The housekeeping staff are great, and I appreciated the hand-written note left by my housekeeper...and she responded nicely to my handwritten note I left for her, requesting a few extra towels (I appreciated the personal touch of the note). Cab ride from the airport is a set fare of $25.00, and credit cards are accepted, but not appreciated. Overall, this Marriott was one of the better ones that I've stayed in lately.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel....the first time I reserved a suite, this time we had a regular room on the concierge level. Both times I had an excellent stay. This hotel is located right down town close to the convention center, Ybor City, the port and other attractions. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms were quiet. If you like to run, there is a great path that goes along the Bay and a Starbucks across the street (very important if you're a junky like me). House keeping was GREAT. She left us personal messages and left the room looking great daily! We also utilize the spa on the last visit. The staff was very nice and the services were on par. I recommend this hotel to anyone on business in Tampa....but be warned there is no internet service in the rooms....WiFi in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!