“Loved it, close to Pier, great service” 5 of 5 stars

Celebrate the Savings
Ranked #8 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edison, New Jersey
“Loved it, close to Pier, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

Stayed here before a cruise and loved it, within walking distance to the pier. Close to many different places, ie Busch Gardens, Baseball, convention center. Not far from beautiful beaches. Highly recomend it. Breakfast was a little expensive, might want to go somewhere else, but the food and service was excellent.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Price of the food
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

Just returned from a week-long stay at the Marriott for a convention held at the Convention Center.

The facility is excellent. Our room was comfortable and clean.

We ate in both the Champions Sports Bar and The Waterside Cafe. Food was good and typically priced for a hotel restaurant. The staff had no problem when we asked for separate checks (7 of us for lunch at the Waterside on a very busy afternoon).

Check in went smoothly, and when I asked for a roll-away bed without having made previous arrangements, it was delivered to the room within a half-hour of my arrival.

The bellmen outside were friendly and accomodating when we needed a cab/van to transport from 6 to 12 people.

Our only complaints - and that's too strong a word - we had to keep reminding housekeeping that there were 3 people in the room and we needed more towels, coffee, etc. And there was some confusion with separating our bill when we checked out; but the problem was solved in a matter of minutes with no arguing on their part or ours.

All in all, a nice hotel and a nice stay there.

• Liked — friendly staff, comfortable room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

Let me start out my review by saying that I am very loyal to the Mariott name. We usually stay at Marriotts once a month and in many different cities. This was the worst service we have ever gotten from a full service Marriott EVER!

We arrived Sat pm - went to our room on the 10th floor overlooking the bay and the marina with a balcony. Nice enough room, wanted an upgrade and they we looking for us while we went to the 3rd floor outdoor pool and bar area for lunch. Nice for a city pool and it was pretty hopping.

Went back to the room to see about moving - they had handicap rooms and that was all. We also had told the front desk that we wanted to have the down pillows and comforter removed and replaced with foam. I four days they could not get this right...The start of many conversations that I would have with the front desk.

We went for a drive, came back and took a nap. Got up at 8 and wanted to take a walk before dining at the resatruants Italian Restaurant that we have heard great things about. Came back before 9 and guess what - on a Sat night it was CLOSED. Sign said open until 10 but we were told that since it was slow they shut down. OK, we will go to the cafe in the hotel - yes, you guess it, CLOSED as it was slow. They did tell us we could go to Champions - the bar - but we wanted a nice meal, not junk. Went to complain to the manager and was greeted by 2 huge dogs on the elevator (no dog policy in place) and was told that the manager had made an exception for these dogs. They were not seeing eye dogs or the like - and I am allergic so this combined with no food really upset me. I will give this manager credit as she opened the cafe and had us waited on and we could have whatever we wanted...the highight of the stay.

Went to bed and there were all night parties going on...no sleep.

We were here3 nights and the restaruants were closed the rest of the stay. Told me that it was a management decision and that since the hotel was not at capacity that was the decision. I do not fee that Bill Marriott would have agreed with that.

ANyway, the hotel is beautiful, you can get good rates but the service stinks. The restaurants are never open and when they are the service stinks. Food is lousy and you will be going hungry. I do not recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2007
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

Spent what turned into 4 nights here just after the 4th of July. Originally I had booked one night paid, with an extra free night. Wound up paying for two and getting two free. My rate of $129 also included a credit of $50 towards incidentals per stay. This rate was well below any of the others, even without the $50 credit.

I arrived early on a Thursday, just before 10 AM. My room, a bay view on the 25th floor was ready. I quickly dropped off my stuff and headed up to the concierge lounge to see about scraping up a cup of coffee and maybe a Danish. To my pleasant surprise, the concierge was just putting things away and said I could have cereal or fruit if I wanted. I grabbed a couple yummy pastries, coffee and a juice for later and returned to my room.

The room was a decent sized king room with a chair and ottoman, desk and work chair (comfy), armoire with a TV and a safe. Also, there was what used to be a mini bar but it is no longer in use. There is a sign saying that it is neither a mini bar nor fridge. The bed was very comfortable although I could have used a few more regular pillows.

Nice, big windows with a view of the bay, and if you looked left, you can see cruise ships in port. I saw Carnival’s Inspiration and Legend over the course of the weekend. This is a great place to stay if you are cruising from Tampa. Literally, you could walk to the port if you travel fairly lightly and it isn't a million degrees outside. There are some balcony rooms but alas, I was not lucky enough to get one!

Internet was high speed, and part of the "wired for business" package which includes unlimited free local and domestic long distance calls. At $13.95 per day, I took a pass. The concierge lounge does have a free, wired connection and I was able to pick up some sort of slow, weak wireless signal from my room but it served my purposes. You can also use a computer in the lobby to surf, plus there is the complimentary boarding pass printer. Parking is Valet only and $18 per day plus tax.

The hotel has three restaurants, Cafe Waterside, Champions and Il Terrazzo. I tried the first two. Cafe Waterside has an early bird from 5-6:30 daily. For $15.95 you get soup or salad, an entree (8 ounce prime rib-YUM, fish, chicken and a couple other choices) plus carrot cake, key lime pie or chocolate cake. The dinners come with mashed potatoes and asparagus. I swapped for rice. Very tasty food and a bargain. Dinner in Champions wasn't bad; however, the service was slow or nonexistent and one time they put the wrong toppings on my burger which took 30 minutes to begin with. However, management was always nice and bought me dessert. Works for me! Actually, when I told the restaurant manager that the food wasn't ready in the concierge lounge one evening, he brought me a little sample plate of stuff that was being served up there. Very nice!

Over the weekend, since the lounge was closed, I got the buffet in the Cafe. For an up charge of $2 I was able to choose from the hot and cold items. I think it is $16 which is a little steep but there are many rates which include breakfast. The selection was good, eggs, pork and chicken sausage, bacon, ham one day, pancakes, waffles and omelets to order, potatoes (too many peppers and onions, actually I don't think there were more than 5 potatoes!) lox and fixings, lots of yummy pastries and breads-one of the biggest selections I have seen on land! (Last time I saw such a variety I was on a cruise!) Decent tasting but I didn't care for the waffle or my omelet for some reason, but that's just my opinion. Overall, no real complaints and plenty to choose from.

The hotel was very busy with a gymnastics tournament, a comic book/animae convention and the American Idols! Yup, Jordin, Blake and Sanjaya and company were all guests and caused quite a crowd. They were performing at the adjacent St. Pete Times Forum center. This hotel is great for attending events here too.

Both the streetcars and trolleys stop right in front of the hotel, plus cabs are plentiful. Apparently, according to a brochure I picked up, cabs are a flat $3.00 per person for short trips within the downtown area. Again, you can walk or even hop the streetcar to the pier. Right at the pier is Channelside, a collection of shops and bars and restaurants. For you cruisers, there is a wine shop in Channelside if you feel the need! Also, there is a Publix grocery store about 3 blocks away, a Walgreens shortly beyond that and a CVS maybe 6-8 blocks away. Several churches are in the area as well.

Also nearby is Ybor City, another great place to shop and eat. Didn't make it over there. No real reason, but the streetcar goes right over. I believe the cost is $2.00 or you can get all-day passes for about $4.00 from the lobby concierge or bellman. Many people also went to the Hard Rock Casino, Busch Gardens and the beaches of St. Pete/Clearwater. The Hard Rock is accessible by cab and most likely by bus. The other places are short drives away. The airport is maybe a 20 minute ride, although I took a bus to the Marion Transit Center and switched to the trolley which let me off right outside.

There will be a business center near the ballroom as soon as the area is recarpeted. No noise or construction issues. There is also a nice pool with a bar and grill for those desiring to soak up some rays.

Aside from the banging made by the air conditioner which kept me up all night one time (the last night) I had no real complaints. The room was very clean and fresh and everything else worked.

Didn't need housekeeping during the day. If I needed something, I just swapped towels and such with one of the ladies in the hall. They had their hands full with all the groups and families. I did get turndown every night. They actually do this correctly, refreshing towels, dumping trash, shutting curtains, fixing the bed and leaving a treat. Candy, cookies or chocolate covered pretzels. Way to go!

Sorry this is so long, but the Tampa Marriott Waterside really seems to "get it." All the staffers were very nice and service was great with just a couple exceptions-not enough to make me give a bad review. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I was cruising from Tampa. Seems like it is much less hectic than Miami. There are plenty of things to do in the area or a short ride away. Check it out, you wont be disappointed! It would get 5 stars if I didn't run into some service and taste issues with the restaurants.

• Liked — Location, service, overall facilities
  • Disliked — Really nothing-just a few service and taste issues with some food.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Daytona Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

My stay at the Tampa Waterside Marriott was in August 2006. It was just me and my daughter (3 at the time). It was a weekend trip to the Florida Aquarium, which is awesome btw. It was my first time back to the Tampa area in about 5 years. Boy have things changed, and for the better. The city has begun to revitalize the channelside district so there was plenty to do.

I hear parking is terrible, but not in my experience. Valet was inexpensive in comparison to other hotels I've been to. The room was awesome. We got a corner room on a high floor. The city is beautiful at night. To beat the heat we traveled to Clearwater Beach on Sunday afternoon. (Now this is where you have to pay top dollar for parking.) The beach was very crowded. The drive was longer than expected (about 30 - 45 minutes). I'm a Floridian so that's a little far, but you can't beat the beaches on the gulf. My daughter was so excited that she could see the fish as she was in the water. Especially since we had been at the aquarium a day earlier.

The hotel has a cafe that has excellent food. Not too pricey either. I'm a big critic when it comes to food and I was pleased. Sunday buffet was not bad. My only complaint was that music can be heard from one of the restaurants across the channel until around 2 - 3am. Didn't disturb my daughter though and I go to bed pretty late anyway.

Great trip! I recommended it to my sister and she'll be staying at this Marriott next month. I'll be returning to it later this year.

• Liked — The Marriott Bed!!!
  • Disliked — Noise at night
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
home
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

We spent 2 nights this past week, 2 rooms, AAA rate of with 188.00.Arrival was a little chaotic with regard to valet parking. The hotel is massive and the valet system is a bit hurried and harried but Check-in was efficient and courteous. I requested a high floor, away from the elevator and asked for adjacent rooms when I made the reservation, At check-in I was offered rooms with a view if I would forego the adjacency, we went with the view. Beautiful, overllooking the marina and bay (25th floor, odd numbered rooms), we even saw sting rays feeding in the bay. The rooms are pretty standard in size but very comfortable beds, good bath products and a large bathroom. We never heard a sound from the rooms next door(even though the hotel was sold out). A few minor issues....the afternoon we checked in, 5 of the 6 elevators were not working. They fixed this pretty quickly but I don't think there was a time when all 6 were operational. The pool area is very nice and very clean. We ate breakfast at the Waterside and had drinks at the lobby bar and at the Sports Bar/restaurant. Service was good, typical hotel food, not great but not too bad. The hotel is right across the street from the Forum and the convention center. There is a streetcar available but we were not very impressed with service or the destinations along the route. I would recommend this hotel for someone who is attending a show/meeting/function at the Forum or convention center for its convenience. Otherwise, it's not a really great location. However, I have no complaints with the rooms or the service.

• Liked — proximity to St. Pete Times Forum
  • Disliked — no restaurants, shopping etc. within waliking distance
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

I am an elite member for Marriott, so I stay at Marriotts and Marriott branches all the time. But this particular hotel has major issues that cannnot be ignored. While staying at this hotel for a Lightning game, my girlfriend and I were treated shabby in the restauant outlets. The lobby bartender with long dark hair seemed short and brash when we tried to initiate conversations. After "pulling teeth" trying to be friendly, we just gave up. Her poor attitude resluted in no tip. Our service in the sports bar was atrocious; no one was there to greet us and the bartender gave us a single finger point to the tables and said flatly to seat ourselves. Our server Julie was the only positive employee we encountered, which was a breath of fresh air. It took an actual 23 minutes to get our food, and when it arrived it was wrong. Julie kept apologizing which I could understand her frustration. When we finally got our burgers, they were undercooked and the fries were dead, which Julie fixed in a flash. When we recieved our bill, the burgers were too overpriced for the quality we recieved. The lobby was indeed beautiful with the petrified trees, and the pool was amazing with roof views of the city, but the beauty was only skin deep. Our view was better than our room; the bed was uncomfortable and the lavatory was smaller than an airplane's. The worst part of ourstay was when I pulled back the covers and saw a cockroach on the sheets! I reported this to the front desk and we were moved. I inspected the luggage for more roaches so I could not take them with me.
Overall, the staff was sub-par, the room was unacceptable, the food was terrible, and obviously the wait staff needs an attitude adjustment. For those traveling to downtown Tampa, there are many fine hotels in the area, but this isn't one of them. Avoid it like the plague.

• Liked — Beautiful building outside, beautiful views from every window
  • Disliked — Staff service, room condition, staff attitude, menu prices and selections, strict pool hours, no mini bar or fridge in room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!