“Extremely Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Jacksonville
“Extremely Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

I stayed at the Tampa Marriott Waterside from July 28-July 31 while preparing for the FL bar exam. This review will discuss location, rooms, dining, and extras.

Location
I chose the hotel because of its close proximity to the Tampa Convention Center. We spent the majority of our stay at the hotel and the convention center. The hotel is in a very nice neighborhood and I felt safe on the premises. The hotel is on the channel and the waterfront view is magnificent. There isn't much of a nightlife around the immediate area, but I hear there is an area nearby called Channelside with upscale shops, restaurants, etc.

Room
The room was average sized and relatively clean. Not the most stylist room, but very comfortable. The bed was plush and luxurious. My only concern regarding the bed was that the sheets would come off easily. The room had a balcony with a small table and two chairs. The bathroom was large and clean; however, I prefer hotel bathrooms with a sink separate from the toilet, tub and shower. The room had a safe and refrigerator; but no microwave.

Dining
The hotel knew the exam takers were stressed out and provided us with many perks. Upon check-in, we received a room service menu with breakfast and lunch items specifically for the exam takers. The hotel has three restaurants, Starbucks, and a lobby bar. We ate at the Waterside Cafe for breakfast and lunch daily, Champions twice and ordered room service several times. The food was very tasty and reasonably priced. Room service was quick and readily available. Unfortunately, I didn't dine at the more upscale restaurant in the lobby.

Extras
The lobby is huge with ample seating and wireless. There's a spa, concierge and other four star hotel amenities. The hotel even provides their guests with a computer and printing station to print your flight boarding pass...WOW!

Overall, this hotel was convenient and everything I needed and wanted was at my fingertips. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Dining/Room Service options
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

I stayed here one night for a conference across the street at the Convention Center. The location was convenient. The lobby is lovely, and the bar in the lobby was nice - busy but not too loud.

My room was typical Marriott. However, it was not as clean as I expect from this chain. The sheets had grey marks on them, like stains, as if a piece of charcoal had gone through the laundry with the sheets. The bathroom was clean enough, but there was a bit of hair stuck in the drain.

Next time I'd try the Embassy Suites or Westin.

• Stayed July 2008
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

We stayed here because of its proximity to the St. Pete Times Forum (for a concert). The location was great, we were able to walk to the concert. The lobby is very pretty, the breakfast buffet was good and the food at the sports bar was good too. The rooms are pretty basic (nothing in the mini bar), but clean and perfectly adequate. No complaints at all.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

Was here for a convention and it is a typical, nice Marriott property with excellent views. Lots of dining close in the Channelside area along with the Port and the Florida Aquarium. Staff was really nice, especially Joyce, the housekeeper on 18th floor (I don't think I have ever been able to say anything special about a housekeeper before).

• Liked — People, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

They advertise sleep but you may not get any.

PLEASE ask this hotel whether they have large conferences going on before you make your reservation. I have stayed at many Marriotts and this was by far the most miserable experience I have ever had.

By reserving over 600 rooms for members of a recovering narcotics group, the Marriott essentially handed over control of the hotel to this group. Fairly late in the evening when you would normally see people talking quietly in the hotel lobby here are a few of the things that I saw:
-a man blowing bubbles in the lobby
-a man drinking a gallon of chocolate milk he made himself
-people making sandwhiches
-tons of mcdonalds and pizzas being ordered
-people laying on the couches with their socks on

At the pool there were hundreds of people that weren't even staying at the hotel. There was no place to sit, cigarette smoke everywhere, and I was told that there were no more towels. Here I was a paying guest and was given no towel for the pool.

I am not blaming the individuals at the conference but rather the hotel for letting any large group get out of hand. Many of the people attending the conference were not staying at the hotel but were sleeping in nearby cars and hanging out in the lobby all night. These people were using blow horns, screaming, and were congregated on an outside patio until 4 or 5 in the morning.

Everyone in the hotel was calling security and security admitted that they had lost control of the hotel and could not control these people. One of the staff members told me these people were within their rights to make as much noise as they wanted to.
In the end, the manager compensated us for our stay but I still was only able to get 2 hours of sleep. I felt so bad for new hotel guests that were checking in as I was leaving--they had NO idea what kind of Marriott experience they were in for.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

After reading reviews by others on this site, I wonder if I stayed in a different section of the hotel than everyone else.
The good: beautiful lobby,nice lobby bar, good morning breakfast buffet. Location was also nice and easy to hop on trolley to Ybor. Nice walk to Port to see ships.
The bad: front desk personnel not very pleasant or helpful. The room was a disgrace. We were on the 26th floor: stained carpet; the second we arrived and opened the door I thought MOLD and my husband said MOLD! The smell was awful and frankly, in a sealed high rise I don't understand even if it is in Florida. The air conditioning was barely working; contacted help desk and someone came to check and turned thermostat to 60 as a solution.
The ugly: when I went to bed in an attempt to sleep, I quickly discovered the noise was like sitting in the middle of a tornado. About 3am I switched bed sides with spouse as a vent from bathroom into main room was loud and "spitting" on me and the air conditioner noise was competing with this vent.[switching was spouse's suggestion] At 4am I got my ipod out to use to hopefully block out the noise. At 7am I was at the front desk asking if this was normal. I was told yes, but maintenance would stop by and check. At this point, the air conditioner filter was changed; spouse said it was black and probably had not been changed in years. As for the bathroom/room vent I was told by front desk that other people put a towel over it to help block noise. This softened noise and prevented "spitting" which was dirt particles---confirmed by the # on pillows. Needless to say, a disappointing stay and I would never return willingly.
The less than honest: there is a Hertz rental in lobby. We wanted to rent a car for 2 of our 5 day visit. We paid a premium price for a 2 day compact [$160] which I accept as convenience factor. But we were then charged $20 for 2 nights to park a car which is normally stored in the hotel deck. My beef? As hotel guests, we could have just done 2 single day rentals [no parking charge]had it been suggested. Marriott's fault? No, but in my opinion Hertz is recommended by them since they sit in hotel lobby.

• Liked — Lobby
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

We were staying at the Marriott as part of an extremely large conference (thousands of people!) and had a very good time. We were surprised by our room - thinking we would simply have a little window hopefully looking our onto the waterway, but we had a balcony on the corner of the building overlooking downtown Tampa and the bay where they were holding fireworks during our stay. We were able to watch 12 different fireworks displays at once! Plus there was another display on the other side of the hotel 2 hours later! Because our gathering was so big we took over the hotel, but the staff were extremely gracious and accomodating - bringing in tons more chairs to help everyone get seated in the ballrooms ad such. The only complaint most people had were the elevators taking forever because meetings would get out and EVERYONE would want onto one of the few elevators available (not the hotel's fault!). The parking is $20 a day for overnight stays, so be forewarned. Even if you are just visiting the parking is $10 for visitors.

• Liked — The view!
  • Disliked — The feather top mattress! A bit uncomfortable and pokey!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!