“Great experience in downtown Tampa” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Darnestown, Maryland
“Great experience in downtown Tampa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel has everything you would expect from a full service Marriott property. The front of the house is very well run, and there were always plenty of staff during busy periods to ensure efficient service. The valet service is to be especially commended; the crew is friendly, gives great advice (dining, directions, etc.) and very prompt service in 100+ degree heat. The sports-bar/restaurant is not only convenient, it turns out reasonably priced and good tasting food as well. The room was well maintained, and the housekeeping staff kept it cleaned and delivered all requests with a smile. The location can't be beat, and is across from the Convention Center and the Times Forum. Both business and family friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Vincennes, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Went there in early July for the Moose International Convention. The first time I had ever stayed at this location and WOW what a place. Excellent location, Superb staff and a wonderful view of the city of Tampa. Very easy access in & out except when an event is happening next door at Times Forum, then it gets pretty crazy because a lot of the concert or event goers also use the valet services from the Marriott.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the upper floors for a beautiful view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was on a business trip for 3 days. The hotel was very clean, in a nice location. Walking distance to the Forum, and the conventions center. There seemed to be a few things to do in the area. I think this is a great place for a business trip, but not for a family vacation if you are looking to do "Florida" sort of things for activites.

No problems with staff, food, or accomidations. The beds were outstanding.

The water front view was pretty cool, and actually the city view was not that bad either.

Overall... very nice place to stay, in a very nice safe part of town.

Room Tip: request a room, waterside, as high as you can get. The view will be the best.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Spent three nights at the hotel in August and were very pleased with everything except the $15 per day in-room wifi, which a pet peeve of mine. The rooms were nice, clean, quiet, and provided a great view of the water. The restaurant, bar, and cafe at the hotel were all good if you plan to stay in. The hotel is within walking distance of the Florida Aquarium, the history center, and the river walk.

Room Tip: Get a waterside room for the view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The location of this hotel and the suite option is why we chose this hotel over others. The hotel is very clean and updated and our room looks almost new. The beds were comfortable with nice sheets, coffee maker in the room, and theres a $2 drink and ice machine on every floor. We chose a waterfront suite so that the early riser could have the living area without disturbing the sleeper. There are a lot of positives about this hotel, but the room design will keep us from ever staying here again. In the suite situation, the doors between the bedroom and living room have glass panels which let all the light into the bedroom. The bathroom can be accessed through the bedroom or the living room but unfortunately, there is no door from the bedroom side which again creates a problem for a sleeping travel partner. The rooms do not offer safes. And as I sit and write this in the dark of my living area as not to wake my spouse, I just heard the man in the neighboring room coughing. I would recommend this hotel if the suite design isn't an issue for your situation.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor and for your kind words regarding the hotel’s cleanliness. We offer as many amenities to our guests as possible and will certainly review your suggestions when we renovate our rooms. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to improve the guest experience.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've stayed at tons of Marriotts, some good and some bad. This one is on the above average side. The customer service was just ok, not the best, but ok. But the location is amazing...I mean really amazing. Right on the water, on the waterfront walkway is just stunning. We took the boat ride around the bay and the overall ambiance is just stunning. The restaurants are run at a very low level, poor wait service on the decks and you must wait in line for take out; this place needs training in customer service and properly running eateries at a hotel. But if you don't mind the poor wait service and average food; the location and views are breathtaking. There are better restaurants in the surrounding area; go to those as you look around and enjoy the views. Skip the eateries at this place and enjoy the location and surrounding area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent feedback. I would like to apologize for what you experienced as well as let you know I have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverage Team. We appreciate your business and the opportunity to improve on our services.
Parma, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was in town for business and I was staying at the marriott for the night and I was very happy with everything, except when I had some free time the second day and went to play the piano. I played the first day and one of the cleaning ladies came by and approached me and talked to me about my playing and complemented me. I was playing the second day too. I did see that their were meetings going on and the first day i had a lot of staring so I asked if I was bothering them and they told me that I making them emotional. I was glad to see I was not bothering them. The second day, Pam, some employee came up to me and told me to get off immediately and that I was playing too loud. Seeing as there was really loud renovations going on downstairs that I could hear throughout the whole hotel, a piano using the una corda pedal and I could barely hear it. She then said, I quote, "This piano is not for you, you are not to play it ever, do not touch it again, its not yours." Rude, and I am not done with this fiasco. I also have notified group sites that scout hotels and I have given then a unsatisfactory hotel and will not receive as much business. I also have determined that my colleagues will never use this hotel for poster meetings or anything. Very rude, I have played in the middle of the Cleveland Clinic when I was free, in a very busy area and the piano playing is calming. Note: I have been playing for most my life and I was not playing loudly or anything inappropriate.

Room Tip: Do not stay here until they learn how to treat guests. the Embassy Suites has nicer rooms, free alco...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent posting. I would like to apologize for the treatment you experienced while playing our piano. We do allow guests to play and we will address your concerns with the associate involved. We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to improve on the overall guest experience.

Been to Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!