“Would not return... would try the Westin across the street next time” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina

Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Las Vegas
“Would not return... would try the Westin across the street next time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I just returned from a 2 night stay at this Marriott. I was not overly impressed and would try the Westin Harbour across the street next time. The valet at this hotel was horrible. It would take atleast 10-15 minutes to get my car every time. The cars are pilled up in the front of the hotel - making it virtually impossible to pull your car aside to plug in the addresses into your GPS. One time, the valet brought the wrong car - so then I had to wait even longer for my car. As I was sitting in valet and trying to organize my GPS, the valet lead was yelling at his valet staff and telling them what a poor job they were doing... not very professional demeanor in front of your guests. I flew in around 7:00 p.m. from the West Coast so when I arrived in my room, I was exhausted and starving, My intent was just to order room service and organize my emails before my appointments the next morning. I called Room Service. The phone rang and rang and rang. I then decided to called the Operator when I couldn't get anyone at Room Service. The phone rang, then a machine came on to notify me that my call would be picked up by the next available agent, then it rang additional times, then the phone went dead. This discouraged me from ordering breakfast the next morning through room service so I decided to venture out for breakfast each morning. Frustrated, I went downstairs to grab something quick at the sports bar in the lobby. I was behind a group of about 5 people. We waited at the hostess stand for a good 5 minutes and then I left to try to find another restaurant to eat in. I figured if it took that long to be sat, what would the wait be like for food? The internet service ran pretty quickly so that is a plus. Other than that, I wouldn't say there are many "pros" for this property. Rooms definitely need to be renovated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent posting. I would like to apologize for what you experienced during your stay and would like to assure you that I have shared this feedback with our Food & Beverage Team. Additionally, I want to assure you that our Valet Team strives on being consistent with staffing levels and key handling. We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to improve on the overall guest experience we offer.

1,112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed here for a recent business trip and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Rooms were nice and I had a balcony that overlooked the marina.The meeting food was excellent as well as the II Terrazzo restaurant.

Room Tip: They do have rooms with balconies
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here in July and were upgraded to a balcony water view room. Marriott Gold status so I am sure that helped. The Red Bull games were going on in the water during the stay and it was nice to be able to watch from our balcony. Concierce lounge was very nice and the morning gentelman working was very helpful.

The only down I can think of for the hotel was the price of parking. I think it was like $23/day. Other that parking one of the nicest Marriott's I have stayed.

Room Tip: If possible get a higher room with a balcony overlooking the water.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bloomington, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

The building is nice and our waterside balcony view was beautiful, but that's about it. A friend and I stayed for four nights to study for and then take the bar exam, which was being administered right across the street, and I was told that 500 of their 700 rooms were filled with bar examinees during that time, as every year. It colored their service and they seemed annoyed that we were there at all. Everything I asked seemed like a hassle for them, and the front desk staff was particularly snobby and condescending.

I asked when I arrived if there was anywhere nearby to park because I couldn't really afford to pay $20 a night to park there. They said no, no way, all the garages around were closed. (?) I parked at the hotel for one night and specifically turned in my tags and asked them not to charge me for my remaining nights, because it turned out that the garages across the street were absolutely open and half the price. I moved, but they charged me anyway for each night I was there, and it was taken care of at checkout.

I had to keep a few items in the freezer downstairs (our room was equipped with a "cooler" rather than a refrigerator, and it only cooled to 50 degrees, I'd never seen such a thing) and it was a big deal each time I asked someone at the front desk for my items stored.

We were notified by email prior to our stay that there would be renovations going on during our stay and that the pool would be closed. I didn't think twice about it, because we planned to study rather than swim. I understand that the renovations are taking place in preparation for the RNC in August, but they could have taken a few days off from the jack hammering or drilling or sawing or whatever ungodly loud activity they were doing which made it impossible to study in any common area.

Hotel was clean and other staff (housekeeping, valets, luggage assistance) were all helpful and friendly.

Maybe we up-and-coming lawyers don't have a bunch of money now to buy all the extras (internet, valet parking, 5-dollar yogurt, etc.) -- but maybe we will someday, and we deserve courtesy regardless.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for recent posting. I would like to apologize for the service failures you experienced during your recent visit. I want to assure you that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate individuals. I would also like to apologize on behalf of the Valet Team for not informing you about self-parking options. For future reference please note that there our 2 self-parking locations across the street from the hotel. We look forward to the Florida Bar Exam every year and appreciate your business. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to improve on the services that we offer.
Dunedin, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

A group of us stayed at this hotel for a friends wedding at the nearby Florida Aquarium. The hotel is on the trolley route, but note the trolley is very unreliable as it's rarely on schedule. Entering the hotel as just like many other large hotels...nice lobby, very open and spacious. Check-in was a breeze as they were fully staffed with all positions open as it was a heavy check-in day with several weddings and Tampa's version of ComicCon all going on the same weekend. The Marriott is walking distance (across the street) from the Convention Center and a short taxi or trolley ride to the Aquarium and Cruise terminals.

Our room was nice and spacious, clean and well appointed, all things you expect a Marriott to be. My only complaint was there was no late night bar (other than Champion's Sport Bar) that was open late in the hotel. Overall this hotel is very nice, a good value and is easily accessible to a lot of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Verona, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed 7/19-7/23, during lobby and pool renovations for which we received no notice at time of booking (7/4). Had we known the pool was going to be closed during the entire time of our stay, we would definitely have booked elsewhere. We were told at check-in that the pool was expected to reopen in 2 days, which did not happen. Management was gracious enough to reduce the room rate charged, but who wants to stay at a hotel in Tampa in July with no pool, at any price?

With that said, our room was fine (though housekeeping was spotty), water views were lovely, location is great and the hotel's fitness room is good and is open 24/7. Valet parking attendants were fairly clueless (constant traffic jams at the entrance), restaurant was overpriced, Internet service in room costs $15 a day, which is ridiculous, and the hotel's "business center" is a UPS store where Internet access costs $6 an hour. It's true that there's free wi-fi in the lobby, but try finding a plug.

Overall, a nice hotel that disappointed, and could have been so much better.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize on behalf of everyone at the hotel for our inability to properly inform you about the pool closure. Your feedback regarding the valet service has been shared in order to ensure that they are staffing properly. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to improve on the services we offer.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We are marriott members so after arriving early at the hotel, they immediatly got us a room, upgraded at that. We had a balcony with a view- partial city and waterview- very nice. We love balconys! The room was clean and hotel was clean, pool was fantastic! That had a red bull thing going on which was entertaining, only some of the younger hotel patrons were swearing and using rude language on their balcony facing the pool so my kids could easily hear. Obviously not the hotels fault but lots of families with kids- they should go back in their room or at least talk quietly. Hotel is near some good restaurants and grocery store no need to drive anywhere. A nice walking area around the hotel. We would come back to the hotel.

Room Tip: If you become a marriott member they will try to upgrade you or give you a nice room if they are not...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!