“Great option.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 159 hotels in Tampa
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Great option.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I love Tampa in general. Been there several times, but never stayed overnight.
I attend a conference last February, held at this hotel. I stayed in the Marriott Waterside for 4 nights. The room was great, everything you might need, a truly 5 star hotel. The staff was really helpful, conference rooms where huge, and comfortable. It has breathtaking views from its high floors. You can walk around the hotel in a little park or in front of the marina.
It is 1 block away from St. Petes Times Forum, home of the Tampa's NHL team.
They have 2 restaurants on site, both have high quality food.
They charge you $15 for internet daily in your room.
Overall a very good option in this area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

1,042 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is a big business hotel next to the convention center without much else going for it and nothing of interest near by. If you are looking for a resort type experience or think the pool is important this is not the place for you. The room was comfortable, but unimpressive. The gym was undersized and had many broken pieces of equipment, which proved frustrating to many people waiting for equipment. The pool was next to the gym and I would not have wanted to go there. Over all the experience was ok, but i would not go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for your recent comments. We were sorry to the learn that we were not the right fit for your needs. Should your travels bring you to Tampa in the future, please note that we are currently sourcing new equipment in order to update our fitness facility.
Sebring, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Had to pay $20 for parking. They also charged for wi-fi in the room (or you could get it free for a day in the lobby). Valet took a while (~8 minutes), but they were pretty busy. I was upgraded from a regular room to a suite ..... but the suite had a queen-sized pull down Murphy bed. The suite was huge though. We were in a corner suite and had great views of the water, but we were above the pool which was a little loud at times. Had to call each of the two nights we were there and ask them to turn down the pool speakers because the hotel pool music was still blaring past 10pm. Bathroom was nice. Room was clean. Had breakfast via room service one day, which was good and prompt. Staff was all super friendly!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I stayed here for five days during a conference and having friends that stayed at all the nearby hotels this is the best choice in the area. The rooms are up to date, clean, and comfortable. The gym needs work, it is small and a lot of the equipment needed repair. The spa is adequate, lacking ambiance but having a full suite of treatments. The pool was great, I ended up spending most of my time there and my friends from the other hotels all chose to come there too. The only complaint about the pool area is all food and beverage service is self serve. There is a bar at the pool but no wait staff to bring the drinks. All food must be ordered by the guests from room service where it will be delivered to the pool. It would have been much more enjoyable to have poolside wait staff. Other than that, the service was good throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for the best view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent posting to TripAdvisor regarding our hotel and for your kind words about guest room cleanliness. Please note that we are currently sourcing new equipment in order to update our fitness facility. Additionally, we have reviewed the feedback regarding staffing levels at the pool and moving forward we will focus on being more consistent about ensuring that we have the appropriate staffing. We appreciate your business and this opportunity to improve on the overall experience we offer our guests.
Monterey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Overall the hotel & room was good. I enjoyed the amenities - pool & gym - however the valet service was expensive. I rented a car and really didn't have any choice but to leave it with the valet as there is no self parking lot. My husband is a Marriott member so when I called before arriving there, I was told that the valet service would be free of charge for members. I found out that was not the case when I arrived. Staff made no apologies for the incorrect information I was given over the phone. My husband was there for a conference so we get a "preferred rate" for valet which still came to $15+ a day (normally $20+).

As a member, we did enjoy complimentary internet but it is not WIFI in the rooms. The members lounge was also nice & they did have a friendly staff there.

There is a nice walking path along the marina right next to the hotel. It's also a 5 min walk from Channelside for handful of restaurants & bars. It is also across from a museum and convention center. I would stay here again but would think twice about whether it was worthwhile to rent a car unless I felt the need to have one.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent posting and for your positive remarks regarding the concierge lounge and the friendly service. We have shared your feedback with our Valet Team and have stressed the importance of making sure every guest is aware of alternate self-parking options. Additionally, I have shared this feedback with our Front Office Leadership Team so that it can be used as a training tool in order to show the importance of being apologetic as well as emphatic when a customer receives the wrong information. Thank you for your continued loyalty to Marriott. Thank you for allowing us this opportunity to improve on our service levels.
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

WOW - just WOW!!
After reading several online reviews about the poor service at this Marriott location, I was a little nervous because I had already booked the spa escape package for my 30th birthday and a girls' weekend getaway. And it did not come cheap.
All my worries evaporated the moment we pulled up. Despite a packed house for the 2011 Redbull Flugtag, the valet service was quick and efficient AND included in the room price!
Check in was easy-breezy, and the room was ready earlier than expected. The bellhop patiently guided us and all our luggage to our room. We were a few minutes late for our pedicures at the spa, but it was no problem. The girls were friendly and thorough. A perfect way to relax and kick-start the weekend with freshly painted toes! Daily spa treatments were also included in the room price!!
Daily room service breakfast was our choice of the menu, delivered hot and on time, and again - included in the room price! We ate on the private balcony and watched the boats chug through the harbor. Back to the spa for express facials (amazing!), and then to the bar for a drink before heading into the crowd to watch the Flugtag events. It was extremely busy, but we needed to get a few items from the car. The valet promptly brought the car around for us and then returned it to the garage once we retrieved what we needed.
Sunday morning breakfast and late check-out aided our recovery from Redbull and Grey Goose hangovers. We rang for assistance and the bellhop was quick to come collect us. When I checked my invoice, I noticed they had billed me for Saturday's breakfast - it was $60!! I advised the front desk that I booked the spa escape package, and the entire charge was immediately taken off my bill with no questions asked. She priinted me a new invoice with the corrected charges, and we were off the casino to spend the rest of our weekend cash!
Yes, the spa package was expensive and yes, the tipping did add up - but all things considered, it was totally worth it! It was an AMAZING weekend at a FABULOUS hotel!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed here 4 nights for a convention at the nearby center. It is a great location. The room was very nice, with a great view. The service was also very good, from the front desk to the cleaning service. I'd be willing to give them five stars, except you don't get much for the money.

The problem is that there is nothing complimentary. They even charge $4 for a bottle of water. Now, I don't expect all the amenities to be free, but the rates for the extras were very high. Internet (wired) was over almost $13 per night (that's $400/mo -- I can get a year's worth of high speed internet from Cox for that). By the way, they billed me for a bottle of water even though I didn't drink any. When I had them adjust my bill upon checking out, the front desk attendant acted like I was trying to scam them.

I wouldn't be opposed to staying here if I come back for another convention. It is a great location. I just know now to be prepared to do without all the amenities some other, lower priced hotels offer for free.

Room Tip: Rooms on the riverside have much better views.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!