“Amazing Girls Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Amazing Girls Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

WOW - just WOW!!
After reading several online reviews about the poor service at this Marriott location, I was a little nervous because I had already booked the spa escape package for my 30th birthday and a girls' weekend getaway. And it did not come cheap.
All my worries evaporated the moment we pulled up. Despite a packed house for the 2011 Redbull Flugtag, the valet service was quick and efficient AND included in the room price!
Check in was easy-breezy, and the room was ready earlier than expected. The bellhop patiently guided us and all our luggage to our room. We were a few minutes late for our pedicures at the spa, but it was no problem. The girls were friendly and thorough. A perfect way to relax and kick-start the weekend with freshly painted toes! Daily spa treatments were also included in the room price!!
Daily room service breakfast was our choice of the menu, delivered hot and on time, and again - included in the room price! We ate on the private balcony and watched the boats chug through the harbor. Back to the spa for express facials (amazing!), and then to the bar for a drink before heading into the crowd to watch the Flugtag events. It was extremely busy, but we needed to get a few items from the car. The valet promptly brought the car around for us and then returned it to the garage once we retrieved what we needed.
Sunday morning breakfast and late check-out aided our recovery from Redbull and Grey Goose hangovers. We rang for assistance and the bellhop was quick to come collect us. When I checked my invoice, I noticed they had billed me for Saturday's breakfast - it was $60!! I advised the front desk that I booked the spa escape package, and the entire charge was immediately taken off my bill with no questions asked. She priinted me a new invoice with the corrected charges, and we were off the casino to spend the rest of our weekend cash!
Yes, the spa package was expensive and yes, the tipping did add up - but all things considered, it was totally worth it! It was an AMAZING weekend at a FABULOUS hotel!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed here 4 nights for a convention at the nearby center. It is a great location. The room was very nice, with a great view. The service was also very good, from the front desk to the cleaning service. I'd be willing to give them five stars, except you don't get much for the money.

The problem is that there is nothing complimentary. They even charge $4 for a bottle of water. Now, I don't expect all the amenities to be free, but the rates for the extras were very high. Internet (wired) was over almost $13 per night (that's $400/mo -- I can get a year's worth of high speed internet from Cox for that). By the way, they billed me for a bottle of water even though I didn't drink any. When I had them adjust my bill upon checking out, the front desk attendant acted like I was trying to scam them.

I wouldn't be opposed to staying here if I come back for another convention. It is a great location. I just know now to be prepared to do without all the amenities some other, lower priced hotels offer for free.

Room Tip: Rooms on the riverside have much better views.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Saddle River NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I don't really like Tampa, it is busy, it is full of people but...... this is awonderful place when you are having a wedding in this town.
This hotel goes way beyond exceptional in accomodating the family members, the staff bends backward to bring extra towels, fill the buckets with ice, bring the cars forward, and actually thank you for staying there every time you eat, drink or have an activity there.Call ahead when planning your time, make sure you all stay close, the rooms are just wonderful with balconies and views.
The Spa is most accomodating, everything you need to prep you up, the fitness center is clean, full of bikes, weights, anything you need to create the sweat or shall I say get rid of the poundage that one does when having a wedding event.
Having a family brunch breakfast on the patio doesn't get better than that as you see the beautiful yachts of the Tampa families, who love to whisk around and yes there is a small boat one can go from hotel to hotel . Or perhaps take a Tampa history tour on the water. There were three weddings in house at this hotel, but it is so grandeur that one never knew it, it just accomodated everyone.
Food was great, and extremely fresh and staff was happy even their lovely coffee shoppe, those tiny deserts were just to die for, and the bar filled the back of the room with Palm trees that made you feel like you were on your own private island, even if you are staying at another place stop by and just visit, perhaps you might just stay the next time you are in Tampa. internet was in the hotel lobby in the room there was a fee.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

OK so there are some things that that go without say ... like if you are paying ~$200 a night for a room that there will be wireless internet present ... I'm even somewhat willing to pay for it ... but to not be available is tough to comprehend. though if you are on the right side of the hotel you can pick up the service from adjacent hotels and the conference center.

I asked to change from the double double that they provided me (even though I requested a King) ... I was told that for an additional $33 a night they would gladly change me to a room with a Murphy bed (um isn't that code for a fold down book case with a futon to sleep on)??? Ok so every hotel cant offer everyone the bed they want, but I find it offensive to not provide what I requested earlier, then offer me something asking for more $$$'s and an upgraded room ...

the concierge(s) were less useful then the front desk staff, not only did they not have suggestions on where to eat or what to do for an evening, beyond what would be easily found on this site, but when asked to help make reservations I was told "I don't think my calling will make any difference, here you take the phone and talk to the hostess..." WOW Thanks, I could not have thought to do that for myself ...

The gym and spa are nice, and the one highlight was a server in the hotels breakfast offering named Cindy (I am almost positive that was her name) who was as nice a person, providing top level service and helping to make you forget the issues from the front of house.

Finally the parking staff seemed to compliment the ineptness of the concierge in that they had no idea what or where things were either. I know there job is parking cars, but I thought it was the first and last impression of the hotel ... when asked where outside of the hotel I could walk for breakfast I was told "walk that way for about 8 minutes and there are several restaurants to choose from ... " first it was 18 minutes to walk there (and I am a runner so no discount for being a slow walker ... that would have just added more time). Next there were BARS there ... not somewhere to get breakfast, they don't open until lunch on the earliest!!! PLEASE learn to politely say I don't know, but follow me inside and lets find out an answer for you that is correct ...

Will I stay there again??? Nope, there is a Westin a few hundred yards away as well as an Embassy Suites across the road. I cant imagine their service or hotels to be anywhere as challenging as this one.

Room Tip: Look for a diffrfent hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit. I was deeply regretful to learn of your experiences and want to reassure you that we have reviewed this information with the departments involved so that they can implement corrective steps so future guests do not have the same experiences. Additionally, I am pleased to inform you that we have begun the process of installing wireless internet in all the guest rooms and we will complete it by the end of the year. Again thank for your feedback and for your kind words regarding the breakfast server.
Richland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a conference and it was a pleasant place to find a bit of luxury and rest. The lobby is huge and modern. There is a bar in the lobby as well as access to the hotel restaurants. There is a sports bar and an Italian restaurant. There is also a coffee bar that serves Starbucks, but does not take Starbucks cards
The room was incredible – very clean, nice comfortable beds and with a water view had a great viewpoint. I was right around the corner from the elevators and at first thought that I was going to be up all night with elevator noises; however I was delighted to find that this was not the case. Whatever they did to dampen the elevator noise worked well. The bathroom was nicely sized and had very clean.

The staff was incredibly helpful at every turn. They were very knowledgeable and were incredibly polite and professional. Willing to go out of their way to assist. The rate I had was a conference rate which I think was a steal.

The location is in Tampa Harbor and the back entrance opens to a patio and to the river walk which will take you to the local restaurants and nightlife. It is also right across from the convention center which is handy of you are at a conference there.

Overall, a very clean, excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room. If you are a Marriott Rewards member - they may even upgrade you.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The hotel is very nice. I think the rooms are great, the pool is awesome. There are several restaurants on site, as well as laundry facilities, spa, fitness, starbucks, etc. The valet service is extremely busy and rushes you out of the car. The staff is also super busy and doesnt seem to want to make the time for you. When we checked in our sink was backed up and had water and sand clogging it up, we had to call maint. to fix it, but they came and fixed it quickly. It seems like due to the high volume of people staying here, there is less customer interaction, and more transactional. If you don't mind being rushed away and pushed aside, the hotel itself is awesome. The price is a little high compares to others in the area, which actually have better reviews. Due to the number of sports events going on in the area, most of the other hotels were sold out. The location is in a central downtown area with lots to do. It is within about 15 minutes of everything. I would probably stay here again,

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit. Please accept our sincere apology for the service failures you encountered. We have reviewed this feedback with our leadership team and moving forward we will focus on being more consistent about ensuring that appropriate staffing levels are adhered to. We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our location, guest rooms and other facilities.
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

As Tampa goes, this is a above average hotel. We had a great rate and pleasant staff. The only cons to the visit were the room was a bit small. It also look as if someone had checked in and moved rooms as the complimentary soap was opened and a hand towel was on the floor when we check in. Otherwise the room was very clean. Other Cons where parking. Valet is the only option and it's $20 + tip. Very pricy even for this area. We had two autos also! We did order room service and the food (Fish and chips) was bland. All in all this is a nice hotel to stay at.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate your recent visit at the Tampa Marriott Waterside and for your kind words regarding our staff. We appreciate your feedback and have shared this information with our Housekeeping Leadership Team so that they can address the issues and ensure that future guests do not experience similar things. For future reference there is self-parking available just across the street. We have shared your feedback with our Valet Team and have stressed the importance making sure every guest is aware of alternate parking options.

Been to Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!