“Good stay but only because....” 4 of 5 stars

Celebrate the Savings
Ranked #7 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Good stay but only because....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

Good hotel and a good stay while attending business convention with HQ at the hotel. Good Marriott quality and it should be for the price. Nice scenic location on the water with a nice outside deck to enjoy a beverage in the evening. Nice balcony overlooking the downtown skyline as well. Downtown Tampa is basically a no nothing area with few restaurants nearby. Publix within walking distance was a plus. Restaurant in the hotel was a "we gotcha trapped" rip-off for breakfast ($20+ for corned beef hash and eggs.)
When I first checked in I was assigned a room adjacent to the elevator bank (6 of them in this large hotel) and was able to be moved immediately away from the perpetual noise. Other than that, the bed was comfortable and I enjoyed the deck and my room balcony.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and the ice machine!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Let me begin by disclosing that I'm a Marriott Gold Elite member who stayed. Five days on accumulated points.
Having said that, it was one of the finest hotel experiences I've ever had. I couldn't have been more pleased!
We were upgraded to a luxury suite (photos on their website) which was a major plus. Housekeeping was exemplary. Service in general was above expectation.
Restaurants were average, so we at out most of the time. Wine sold at more than two times retail. (problem solved with a Publix supermarket half mile away).
Noise from the restaurant across the street was AWFUL weekend nights until 2:00 AM. The price of water view.
I loved the hotel and the experience. It may have spoiled me for other hotels, but it was a great time.

• Stayed May 2011
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Our room was ready when we arrived and they accommodated our request for feather free bedding by putting us on a feather free floor. Bedding comfortable and nice water view. Conveniently located across from trolley station into Ybor City and Aquarium. Walking distance to St Pete Times Forum and convention center. Near the Port of Tampa. Would definitely return although would probably wait for a resident rate special as the rooms were priced higher then others in the area when we visited.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Charleston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

The staff makes the hotel. Everyone was very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. The room was a little worn and nothing special. We requested a waterview and did not get it, the front desk took it off the bill without question. Every member of the staff we encountered went out of their way to help us, from getting taxis to a map of the area to holding our bags the next morning. The lobby was beautiful. We would stay there again just for the service.

• Stayed April 2011
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

My wife, granddaughter and I attended a company function here. Upon pulling up to the valet we were met by a courteous and informative staff offering help and instruction, and that was the last quality customer service we saw for the remaining 18 hours. The check-in desk promptly dashed any idea of an enjoyable and uneventful visit by informing us there would be a 40 minute wait as the room was not ready. My wife had inquired the day before the reservation as to early check in and had been advised the rooms would be available as early as 10am, though we were optimistic Saturday morning about an early arrival we arrived a hair before 3pm, and the yet the room wasn't available. After expressing our concern a room then miraculously appeared. We had asked for the room to be equipped with a roll out bed , which was delivered and left in an upright position, missing any pillows and with a top bedspread that had the insulation value of newspaper. A 13 x 13 padded square of what was expected to pass as a pillow was delivered and we were informed to remove the decorative cover off our bed and use it for the bedspread.
We attended the dinner function, the meal service was exceptional but the food quality was only average. We retired to the room for the evening and attempted to sleep only to have to continuously adjust the room thermostat due to it.s inability to monitor the rooms temperature.
While we're on the subject of the rooms short comings let me also note that the dressing room/ make up area is in the bathroom and that room has absolutely no ventilation what so ever ,leaving the room humid and unusable . Secondly, with 2 of us getting ready for the dinne,r the lack of thought that went into the rooms design made it impossible for both of us to get ready at the same time.
The room also lacked any form of a night light requiring the bathroom light to be left on all night.
Some of you may say I'm whining here but I have a tendency to keep score after the first couple of insults so let me add a little more. $14.95 to get in room internet connection and the valet was 20. The St.Pete Vinoy Renaissance , also a Marriott property, has free valet and internet.
And the final blow was this morning while waiting for my family to awaken I was sitting with my $4.00 cup of coffee in the lobby reading the news paper, and had put my flip flop clad feet on the marble table top of a coffee table. This is a sin, I was told and ask to remove my feet from the table. Would I treat my furniture at home like this, I would say there would be a good chance as it was marble and I wasn't wearing my goat roping boots. But more likely I wouldn't have purchased a non functional piece of furniture but had an ottoman in it's place.
I have to say after this experience I doubt I'll bother to return, and most likely will shy away from any Marriott property, though the Vinoy and her staff are such treasures.
The best description I could give this place is "Just another Patel Hotel but way more expensive."

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Miami Beach, FL USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We ended up staying here after first trying the Sheraton Riverwalk (left after an hour due to bugs and mold).

The Marriott is a top notch hotel.

Rooms are fresh smelling, very clean, very comfortable.

Room service excellent.

Price was excellent.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Truro, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Stayed here one night for sporting event at St. Pete's Times Forum. Location close with easy walk to forum. Room was adequate with a nice view. Beds not very comfortable. Matresses seemed old and feathers were coming out of them. Hotel has a nice pool and an elegant lobby. Staff friendly. Charge for the use of lobby internet kiosk. Worth noting also stayed at Embassy Suites across the street and found it to be a better value for the money. The pool was smaller and the view not as good but everything else was as good or better. Parking Valet only.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!