“My Worst Stay Ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Boston, Massachusetts
“My Worst Stay Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My family vacationed one night here, as we wanted to be close to some of the Tampa attractions. While the hotel is in a terrific location, I couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. I will note that the hotel credited us bonus points on the card, but it wasn't enough to overcome our stay.

Upon check-in, even though it is noted that my preferences are for a high floor, refrigerator, allergy free pillows and away from an elevator, we were placed into a first floor location. Our reservation was made more than a month before our stay. After not being pleased at the proposed location, I made my way back to front lobby to speak with a manager. She eventually placed us next to an elevator on a higher floor. We brought up our suitcases and then headed out for the evening.

When the couch was unrolled it smelled like vomit. I called housekeeping and they came up to clean up the mess. I called to see if they had another room (the answer was no). They apologized, as the room now smelled like vomit and disinfectant. They somehow found a replacement couch but by not my stay was spoiled. The next morning they credited us for the stay and added bonus points. How could housekeeping have missed this? No quality control??

I will never stay at this location again.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing the mall - away from the pool and the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RIWestshoreGM, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Owen A,

I am very disappointed to hear that was not at all what it should have been. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service as well as a very clean property.

We are typically very successful in accommodating our guest’s special requests however, on occasion and typically due to simply non availability, we fall short. I assure you that this is rare. Many times it comes down to trying to determine which requests are more important to the guest knowing that we cannot fill all of them. I am extremely sorry that we failed you in the cleanliness of your room. There is absolutely no excuse for this and hope that you view this as an isolated incident. This in no way reflects the cleanliness of our property as can been seen in the other TripAdvisor reviews.

I would love for you to give our property another chance so that we can show you the level of service and cleanliness we can and do provide on a daily basis. Please feel free to contact me at the information below.

813.877.7988
ri.tpaws.ops@Marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed 3 days over This month. Location is very convenient and you get what you expect from a Residence Inn. Clean room, and friendly staff with a great food for breakfast buffet. This is our second time staying here, I love the housekeepers they are exceptional!! The Housekeeping manager was very helpful and friendly with my family, I love stay at Residence Inn!! believe me we'll stay next year a gain.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
RIWestshoreGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Hello Yankee s

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel again and I am pleased to know you had another memorable experience. I look forward to sharing your comments with my team at our monring meeting.

Until next time,

Donald Feith
Morgantown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I will not stay here ever again, the hotel is not being cleaned very well. In my room(707) there was dirt all over the rugs, rust stains in the bathroom, the overall appearance was very dirty. There also appeared to be lots a damage to the walls both inside and out. The windows in the rooms are not sound proof so if you are on the pool side of the building you will get to here a lot of people having fun by the pool.

I ate the free breakfast just once, you are better off just skipping it, I paid for it later.

The front desk staff is very nice, the location is close to the airport so the hotel is not a complete waste.

Room Tip: wear socks in the room, the carpets are nasty. the pool side of the hotel is a little noisy at n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RIWestshoreGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Good Afternoon RyanS1

It was a pleasure speaking with you on the phone and I am very apperciative of the additional details surrounding your stay. I am pleased that after our conversation you have decided to return to my hotel and although I sincerely hope your next experience is more positive I ask you to please share any issues with me personally and I will resolve them immediately.

I have spoken with my Executive Housekeeper regarding the "dirt all over the rugs" or as you cleared it up to be, heavy dust around the edges of the carpet, and she is committed to make this a focus for her team. She also has been working on the damaged walls or the scuff marks from the luggage. The one damaged spot you mentioned to me outside of the hotel has been addressed and although it was patched we are simply waiting for the color match paint to arrive. Also, we did locate some rust around the overflow plate located in the tub and my maintenance team is taking care of this today.

In addition I would like to invite you to enjoy our breakfast, with me, upon your return. Our eggs are 100% real (not powdered) and we have meats, pototoes, Belgian Waffles, yogurts, cereals, breads, juices, milks and fresh fruit.

Thank you.

Donald Feith
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in anticipation of my early morning flight. The location was great for the airport and would be fine if using for business travel when visiting a nearby office. I would not stay here for a vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
RIWestshoreGM, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear CWGators,

I want to personally thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your business trip and I would like to invite you and your family to try our hotel for your next leisure trip. Our Residence Inn is located just 20 minutes from Busch Gardens and Adventure Island. We are centrally located between the beaches and Disney World. For those who love animals, we're just 15 minutes from Lowry Park Zoo which is one of the top 10 zoos in the US. In fact, it was ranked #1 for children in 2009. On the other hand, If you just want to shop and have a great social time, International Mall Plaza is your best choice with the most distinctive shopping and dining destination of Florida's West Coast, and it is Just across the street from us.

CWGators, thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Erika Gomez
Ri.tpaws.ops@marriott.com
Davenport, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We spent a week here during spring training. Several times found the same dirt/trash in the elevators and halls a couple days in a row. Room was fine, but the mattress was terrible. We flipped it after three days, but found little relief. Breakfast and dinner selections rotated daily, which was nice, but the food quality was only average. Am a loyal Marriott customer, would look at one of the several other Marriott properties in the area if we return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
RIWestshoreGM, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear dmarkiowa,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us. We strive in providing excellent service and amenities at our property and I am sorry we fell short of these offerings during your stay. Please rest assured that this is not typical of our property and we would love to show you during your next trip to the area.

ri.tpaws.ops@marriott.com
North Arlington, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed here during St. Patty's Day weekend for a Spring Training weekend. We only stay in Marriott hotels because they really do provide the best of everything. The location of the hotel is fantastic as it is right across the street from International Plaza, about a mile from the Yankees spring training complex, and pretty much in the middle of anything you need quickly. We arrived at 2:30am on the first night and found there was a Walmart a mile from the hotel so we picked up a few snacks for the weekend.

The room was very nice. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite and the fact that there were 2 bathrooms was outstanding. I wish more Marriott hotels that offer a 2-bedroom suite did this. The bed was super comfortable as well.

The staff was very nice as well and came through for me when I left behind a bag of baseballs on the day we checked out. I left it in the business center but the woman (I want to say her name was Daniella?) I called said she saw it and had it behind the front desk for me to get later in the day before we left for the airport. The gentleman who checked us in at 230am was also very helpful as he switched the Marriott rewards number from my name (the name the reservation was under) to my friend's account (we alternate who gets the points on trips).

If there were 2 things I would knock off that extra point are, frankly, fairly nitpicky. One I hope can be fixed and the other obviously can't. The first is the breakfast. The food was good and look, it's a free breakfast so you're going to get the relatively bare minimum. But they did have 3 hot food platters, breads, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, and a waffle maker along with juice and coffee. So the food was not the issue. It is the location. On a crowded weekend, like the one we were staying for, the area where they have breakfast can get really tight and have way too many people in it. And there's no real understood method. It's pretty much every man for himself so you wind up having to wait on people just standing there and you bump into others. The other is the parking situation on the the hotel grounds. If the hotel is sold out there is not much parking, however, there is an open lot not 15 feet from the hotel and you can park in there without a problem. That's just a nitpicky reason.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone as Residence Inns are relatively cheap and if you don't want fancy, 5-star service, and just want a nice clean bed and good room, absolutely stay here.

Room Tip: You can reduce total cost and cost per person if you're traveling with 3 or more people by getti...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
RIWestshoreGM, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear tjoyce82,

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the room accommodations, and that our team was able to assist you. I do understand your frustration with the crowded breakfast and limited parking space. Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience and thank you, not only for choosing our hotel but for recommending it to others.

Erika Gomez
Cumming, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We've stayed here for two years for the Yankees Spring Training, and this hotel has yet to disappoint. We typically stay in lower cost hotels, but you really get what you pay for. For the little extra money, we feel like this is a very nice, clean and hospitable hotel. The breakfast is good: scrambled eggs, yogurt, fruit, hot sausage, onions, peppers, biscuits, muffins, cereals, fresh waffles, and oh the coffee. The coffee in the lobby is always fresh and hot. The staff is friendly, and the housekeeping responsive. We love having the mini-kitchen so we don't have to spend a fortune on meals. An oven or even a toaster oven would be a nice addition. Also, the shower pressure was amazing. The mattress was a little hard for our liking, as we can get used to the pillow-top mattresses that some hotels offer, but the sheets and bed are comfortable enough. The temp in the room is perfect, and we really appreciate the black-out curtains. The location is easy to anywhere, but it is not hard to get in and out of, and the parking is a breeze. The restaurants right around the hotel are very expensive, so just be aware of that. There is a mall just a block away if you're looking for a cheaper meal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear fitnessinharmony,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule and giving us such great compliments. I completely understand that you have your choice of hotels when visiting this area and it’s great to hear that you are a repeat customer to our property. Our location and amenities are perfect for several different spring training sites in the area specially the Yankees. It was our pleasure having you with us and we look forward to seeing you next year!

ri.tpaws.ops@Marriott.com

Been to Residence Inn Tampa Westshore/Airport? Share your experiences!