“Mostly Good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Suwanee, Georgia
“Mostly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Had a challenging time, but since then service has been great. Very clean rooms, well-kept property, and good staff. A good central location for downtown Tampa. Also offer a shuttle service for the downtown area.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Shab S, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
JJHenley,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I am not sure what issues you had in the beginning of your stay but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our location. I hope that we can have a chance to have you back at our hotel again! This time, I want your entire stay to be as good as how it ended up with us.

Have a great day,
Shab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Marriott Residence Inn,Tyler Street, Tampa
We come to Tampa every year for a few days at Yankee spring training.
Usually stay in Clearwater at a beach hotel, but decided to try closer
to the stadium this year. The way it usually works is that my husband
goes to the game every day, and I go to two or so and enjoy spending
those days at the hotel pool reading.
This is not a favorite hotel of mine. While the non housekeeping staff is extremely
nice and accommodating, the hotel is old and tired. Every time the mirrored closet is opened it comes off the track and gets stuck. I will say that the bed was fairly comfortable. When you leave your room for the lobby, there is an very, very obvious smell of bug
spray. I even wondered at one point if it might be a welfare hotel
because I saw a couple of people who were obviously drunk and not
functioning well helped onto the elevator by the staff since they
couldn't manage on their own..where were they going?? For some reason
I expected a huge pool with a pool bar and lots of activity. I was
wrong. Very small pool which only gets sun after 1 or 2 pm due to
buildings, no bar, no other activity. Maid service is spotty..a smear
of toothpaste stayed on the bathroom mirror for the entire time we
were there..rather than change the tissue box when it's empty, the
maid shoved tissues into the old box which stuck when I tried to pull
one out..they ripped because they were stuffed in there. We used all of the body lotion and never got a new (very tiny) bottle. It all reflects on the management. They are doing what is expected of them and nothing more. There is not much within walking distance except a couple of fast food restaurants.

We have decided to either go back to Clearwater next year or do a
little more research for another hotel.

Room Tip: Don't face the busy street
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GKealy,

Management is definitely taking notice and making changes. Nothing is more important to us then guest satisfaction. It is what our industry thrives on and we are hungry and passionate when it comes to making the changes that we need to so that your experiece and memories with us are only ones that bring a smile to your face. Please send me an email to shab.sachedina@marriott.com so that I have a chance to give additional training and follow through appropriately with the right individuals please. Thank you for taking your time to write the review and I would love the opportunity to show you what your stay SHOULD have been like. Look forward to speaking with you...

Shab
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is fine, it's a typical Residence Inn, but they have 2 major problems:

#1- They, on multiple occasions, overbook the hotel when there is more than one thing going on in Tampa. We RESERVED a 2 bedroom suite several months in advance. When we arrived they told us they no longer had a room for us. Their solution was to send us to another hotel for our first night, then have us move back to this hotel for our 2nd night, it was only after arguing with them that they gave us a studio suite at a marginal discount, like 20%.

#2- They don't have enough parking, and if you don't argue with them, then they won't tell you about their overflow lot and you'll be paying to park on the street.

Overall I was not very impressed with the way in which the hotel was run, it seemed as if the staff was very inexperienced. The rooms themselves were fine, but it's the management that is the issue.

There are several other options in downtown, I would suggest another location if you actually want to stay in the room you reserve.

• Stayed March 2013
Shab S, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
ErickBrown,

I can't apologize enough for not having the 2-Bedroom suite that you had reserved at the time of your arrival to the hotel. We do care about the comfort and convenience of the guests and I personally took the time to reach out to every single individual that had a 2-Bedroom suite to discuss it with them. Remember, it is very important to always give hotels a valid phone number so that you can always be reached! I also know that we made sure to also split your one reservation into two separate suites and split the rate as well. I hope that if we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again, that we would leave a better impression on you. As a management unit, we have been working together diligently to get all of these issues resolved. Nothing matters more than having you check in, get what you expected, have service BEYOND your expectations and leave with smiles on your faces. Again, we are sorry that this isn't what you were able to experience and I hope that we can make that up to you.

Thanks,
Shab Sachedina
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This Residence Inn on located on the North edge of Tampa's centra business district provides good value. The rooms are large, clean and the furniture is in good shape, though the kitchen cabinets were looking a little shopworn. The staff are pleasant and helpful.

My only disappointment is one I have encountered at several US hotels, namely the exclusive use of plastic cutlery and plates in the breakfast area. Not only is it a fantastic waste, it cheapens the experience. The entire Marriott chain needs to rethink its approach to plastics and styrofoam.

• Stayed March 2013
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Lets see:

High speed internet....not!
HBO...Not!
Parking...not much!
Hotel is clean...not!
Elevators...taking your life in your own hands!
People are nice...Yes!

I do not know what has happened to Marriott, but the last two I have spent some time in were 30 year old dumps. Just putting paint on everything is not the answer. The carpet in this hotel has to be at least 15 years old. The elevators are as slow, make noises and stop at floors that no button has been pushed. The hallways are dirty and dark. One of the worst hotel I have stayed in. If you are staying for 1 night, no big deal, but if you are staying for weeks or months there is a lot better in Tampa to choose from.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This trip was for business but we stay here for leisure also. This hotel is just off Ashely in Downtown about a block from the Performing Arts Center. It is also convenient to all of downtown including walking along the river or visiting the Courthouse.

Service is always the best. Staff are very friendly and professional. Evening gatherings are interesting and fun and the breakfast is very good. You always meet a variety of people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel numerous times when visiting in Tampa and have always had a wonderful experience. It was not the case on our last stay. I will list all the problems from A to Z. First of all, we booked our reservation back in October of 2012 for a two-bedroom suite as there were going to be 4 of us. When I called the morning of the stay since we were going to have a late arrival, I was told they overbooked and we possibly wouldn't get the 2 bedroom suite but we would get 2 rooms. I told them we had to have that suite as one in our party (our daughter) has a visual problem and can't see when it gets dark and would need to have help from an adult in our party. (Our granddaughter was the fourth person with us.) I called again at 7:30 p.m. to make sure we would get our room and was put on hold for a long time. I was told again we wouldn't get the suite as they had some people who had arrived and booked for 3 weeks and decided to let them stay and not honor our suite reservation. I told them we had to have this suite because of our daughter. Finally, they agreed to put us in a handicap suite. All ok, until we checked in and entered the room. No wastebasket in one of the bathrooms, clock didn't work in one bedroom, black dot stains on the wallpaper next to the kitchen sink, doors under the sink were broken and no shelf underneath for cleaning supplies, the carpet didn't lay flat throughout the suite, carpet was filthy by the front door, ice maker didn't work, sliding closet door jammed in bedroom, a shefl in the bedroom closet broke and fell down and the worst was when we saw a roach crawling on the bar area when we were eating breakfast. I will have to say when we checked out the manager was very nice when I told her all this. She is new and is trying to get things done and I trust that she will. We are members of the Marriott Rewards and hope we will get to enjoy staying in this hotel again someday.

Room Tip: I wouldn't choose this hotel for at least a years until all their problems are taken care of.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!