“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #64 of 158 hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Parking situation is annoying if they are full...you have to park in a garage 2 blocks away. It just feels outdated when you step inside. The outdoor pool area\patio is nice. The room was just alright. I kept finding hairs though...under the fitted sheet, on the hand towels, in the tub...there were also cigarettes on the balcony, not from us....The girl working the evening shift on NYE was really nice and helpful, along with the engineer.
BUT! overall it was satisfactory for a one night stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
La Liberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Clean everything, same art in every room, felt safe and secure and all that. Good time. Fitness center is decent, I liked the basketball court and pool. Clean and had more than a treadmill, which was nice. Women at the desk were friendly. Only four because it lacked personality and there was absolutely no excuses for being even a minute late on breakfast. It was gone exactly at 930 am. Reasonable and all, but a boy can dream, eh?

Room Tip: Get a high room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lakeland, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here last weekend when we were in town for a concert. We walked in and were greeted promptly and they found our reservation without a hitch. Both the lady and the man at the desk were super friendly and explained some of the restaurants nearby when they overheard my wife and I talking about what we wanted to do for dinner.

Our room was great. It had a full kitchenette with fill size refrigerator, desk, couch and chair. The way the bed sat off to the side and the bathroom was around the corner gave the room more of a on-bedroom apartment feel. The colors were rich and comforting.

Once getting back from dinner we decided to take a cab to the concert since the complimentary shuttle was full. Our cab never showed up, but the shuttle returned and a very friendly driver took us and another couple to the TB Times Forum, bypassing a lot of the traffic and getting us there in plenty of time for the show.

The breakfast was also good, not your normal continental breakfast but complete with eggs, sausage and biscuits and gravy.

Checking out was as easy as checking in. All in all, I will definitely try to stay at this hotel again when I need to spend a night over in Tampa.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the "04" rooms if you want one with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shab S, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
JimFromLakeland,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let our future guests see the wonderful experience that they themselves can enjoy as well. Nothing is more important to us than making each and every individual guest know that we are here to make their stay as enjoyable as possible. I am so happy that all of our hard work and training is making the difference! We really hope to have you and your wife come and stay with us again. Happy Holidays!!!!

Shab Sachedina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel to check in before rushing off to a business meeting. I spent almost 20 minutes at the front desk waiting while the front desk clerk rummaged through papers to find my credit card authorization form (of which I had already verified receipt a week prior). I then had to call my company to resend it while she summoned the person who was listed in their system as receiving it. Once he got to the desk she asked him where it was and he went to the same location and pulled it out in a matter of seconds. She overlooked it because she only checked one file instead of looking through all of the papers once she realized it wasn't in that particular one. So, that was a wasted 20 minutes.

Next, I get to the room and the counters are dirty and the room has a stinch. I call down and ask her to be moved. She "upgrades" me to a two bedroom suite on a different floor. The room was very average. The carpet has stains throughout the room, it has the same stinch from the first room and the decorative bed spread on the beds look worn and dated. I asked if the hotel had undergone renovations and she said it had in 2008 but that's hard for me to believe since the rooms look so worn after just 4 years. Another thing was that the dishes were dirty but they were put in the cabinets anyway. There wasn't even dish washing liquid available for me to attempt to wash myself. I typically stay at residence inns for the convenience of cooking but I didn't want to use anything in the kitchen at all.

They serve breakfast every morning but its basically the exact same thing every morning. Other Residence Inns offer a variety from one day to the next. The only positive here would be the young lady who worked the breakfast bar. She was very sweet and accommodating.

Finally, their Internet and television was either slow or down depending on the day. They finally got someone to come and take a look at it towards the end of the week.

Overall, I would not stay here again. It is a very average residence inn. I have been to some exceptional ones that really set the bar high. Unfortunately, they set it too high for this one to measure up.

• Stayed November 2012
Shab S, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
TL1978,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our customer service and the comfort of your stay are our main concerns in life day to day. I am so disapointed that your stay with us left you feeling the way that it did. I would really appreciate it if you would please email me and give me details of the rooms you stayed in so that we can go in there and get 2 things accomplished. 1. Give it a deep clean 2. Find out who cleaned the room because it is obvious that they could use more training and/or supervision. We strive every single day to give our guests a wonderful experience while staying with us and I wish that I would have had the opportunity to hear about this while you were still here so that I could do something about it immediately. I will look forward to hearing from you so that I can follow up appropriately. Thank you for letting us know what we can do to improve to give that perfect service and comfortable stay that we work to provide each and every one of our guests.

My direct email address is shab.sachedina@marriott.com

Have a wonderful weekend,
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Tampa and our Stay at Residence Inn Marriott. Breakfast each morning was fine, and we enjoyed the happy hour refreshments and light fare that was on Tues and Wed during our visit. Prior to our visit, we received a welcome email from Lexy, one of the managers. Marcus was the van driver that dropped us off for tourist visits during our stay. Sights: Tampa Aquarium, Cruise Boat Port Waterside Area aka Channelside Bay Plaza, River Walk, University of Tampa walking tour, Straz Center for Performing arts across the street. Out of the area we enjoyed Ybor City and the Columbia restaurant, and St Petersburg Downtown and Pier area. Hotel: When our light was not working, it was repaired quickly. Great Staff members helping us included Lexy, Marcus, Chad, Shalita, Amy, Maria, Laryssia. Larry and Jim, executives, are to be commended! We will visit again! Residence in is now our first choice of all the Marriott brands, very comfortable room, very roomy, nice pool.

Room Tip: We enjoyed higher floors, a bit more view of the Hillsborough River and River Walk area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
LLLplayadelrey,

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to name each and every single individual that made a difference while you stayed with us. I made sure to share that and the smiles that it brought to their faces was priceless. We work every day to do all that we can to ensure that our guests really have a wonderful experience while staying with us. Thank you for sharing your experience with others that are looking at staying at our hotel. Not only for what we can provide but also sharing how much fun it is to stay in downtown Tampa!

Have a great weekend!
Satellite Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We decided to spend Thanksgiving in Tampa this year. The staff could not have been more accomodating. It's a good location on the North edge of downtown. The library and performing arts center are across the street. The art and children's museum just a block away. The entrance to I275 is less than a block away. There is a complimentary shuttle for the downtown area.

Rooms were clean and spacious, and the kitchen had all the necessary utensils to prepare a meal or two. Great for families or a quick get away.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the south side. It faces the courtyard with the pool and nicely landscaped area. I...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
SybilB,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your time while you stayed with us. Also, thank you for letting future guests understand from your perspective the area that we are in and how accessible we are to so many great things!

Have a great weekend,
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Great service by the front desk staff throughout my recent stay. Walking distance to several newer restaurants/bars, and conveniently located off the highway in the heart of downtown. Would recommend staying here if in the area again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
lawrencemon,

Thank you for taking your time to write such a nice review about our hotel. I made sure to let our front desk staff know that they got mentioned and they were delighted to hear it! We hope to have a chance to have you stay with us again.

Have a great weekend,
Shab

Been to Residence Inn Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!