“Would not stay here again” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #54 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
“Would not stay here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel to check in before rushing off to a business meeting. I spent almost 20 minutes at the front desk waiting while the front desk clerk rummaged through papers to find my credit card authorization form (of which I had already verified receipt a week prior). I then had to call my company to resend it while she summoned the person who was listed in their system as receiving it. Once he got to the desk she asked him where it was and he went to the same location and pulled it out in a matter of seconds. She overlooked it because she only checked one file instead of looking through all of the papers once she realized it wasn't in that particular one. So, that was a wasted 20 minutes.

Next, I get to the room and the counters are dirty and the room has a stinch. I call down and ask her to be moved. She "upgrades" me to a two bedroom suite on a different floor. The room was very average. The carpet has stains throughout the room, it has the same stinch from the first room and the decorative bed spread on the beds look worn and dated. I asked if the hotel had undergone renovations and she said it had in 2008 but that's hard for me to believe since the rooms look so worn after just 4 years. Another thing was that the dishes were dirty but they were put in the cabinets anyway. There wasn't even dish washing liquid available for me to attempt to wash myself. I typically stay at residence inns for the convenience of cooking but I didn't want to use anything in the kitchen at all.

They serve breakfast every morning but its basically the exact same thing every morning. Other Residence Inns offer a variety from one day to the next. The only positive here would be the young lady who worked the breakfast bar. She was very sweet and accommodating.

Finally, their Internet and television was either slow or down depending on the day. They finally got someone to come and take a look at it towards the end of the week.

Overall, I would not stay here again. It is a very average residence inn. I have been to some exceptional ones that really set the bar high. Unfortunately, they set it too high for this one to measure up.

• Stayed November 2012
Shab S, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
TL1978,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our customer service and the comfort of your stay are our main concerns in life day to day. I am so disapointed that your stay with us left you feeling the way that it did. I would really appreciate it if you would please email me and give me details of the rooms you stayed in so that we can go in there and get 2 things accomplished. 1. Give it a deep clean 2. Find out who cleaned the room because it is obvious that they could use more training and/or supervision. We strive every single day to give our guests a wonderful experience while staying with us and I wish that I would have had the opportunity to hear about this while you were still here so that I could do something about it immediately. I will look forward to hearing from you so that I can follow up appropriately. Thank you for letting us know what we can do to improve to give that perfect service and comfortable stay that we work to provide each and every one of our guests.

My direct email address is shab.sachedina@marriott.com

Have a wonderful weekend,
Shab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Tampa and our Stay at Residence Inn Marriott. Breakfast each morning was fine, and we enjoyed the happy hour refreshments and light fare that was on Tues and Wed during our visit. Prior to our visit, we received a welcome email from Lexy, one of the managers. Marcus was the van driver that dropped us off for tourist visits during our stay. Sights: Tampa Aquarium, Cruise Boat Port Waterside Area aka Channelside Bay Plaza, River Walk, University of Tampa walking tour, Straz Center for Performing arts across the street. Out of the area we enjoyed Ybor City and the Columbia restaurant, and St Petersburg Downtown and Pier area. Hotel: When our light was not working, it was repaired quickly. Great Staff members helping us included Lexy, Marcus, Chad, Shalita, Amy, Maria, Laryssia. Larry and Jim, executives, are to be commended! We will visit again! Residence in is now our first choice of all the Marriott brands, very comfortable room, very roomy, nice pool.

Room Tip: We enjoyed higher floors, a bit more view of the Hillsborough River and River Walk area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
LLLplayadelrey,

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to name each and every single individual that made a difference while you stayed with us. I made sure to share that and the smiles that it brought to their faces was priceless. We work every day to do all that we can to ensure that our guests really have a wonderful experience while staying with us. Thank you for sharing your experience with others that are looking at staying at our hotel. Not only for what we can provide but also sharing how much fun it is to stay in downtown Tampa!

Have a great weekend!
Satellite Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We decided to spend Thanksgiving in Tampa this year. The staff could not have been more accomodating. It's a good location on the North edge of downtown. The library and performing arts center are across the street. The art and children's museum just a block away. The entrance to I275 is less than a block away. There is a complimentary shuttle for the downtown area.

Rooms were clean and spacious, and the kitchen had all the necessary utensils to prepare a meal or two. Great for families or a quick get away.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the south side. It faces the courtyard with the pool and nicely landscaped area. I...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
SybilB,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your time while you stayed with us. Also, thank you for letting future guests understand from your perspective the area that we are in and how accessible we are to so many great things!

Have a great weekend,
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Great service by the front desk staff throughout my recent stay. Walking distance to several newer restaurants/bars, and conveniently located off the highway in the heart of downtown. Would recommend staying here if in the area again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
lawrencemon,

Thank you for taking your time to write such a nice review about our hotel. I made sure to let our front desk staff know that they got mentioned and they were delighted to hear it! We hope to have a chance to have you stay with us again.

Have a great weekend,
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at this downtown Tampa hotel overnight before our cruise. Location was great in terms of being downtown, close to cruise ships and walking along the river. Our room was clean, well maintained and provided lots of room. Small kitchenette was a bonus especially if you are travelling with children. Staff were busy but helpful. Free breakfast was typical but fine. Our only concern was a lack of restaurants there or nearby especially later in the evening. The other Marriott Courtyard Inn right next door did, however, provide a quiet bar for a glass of wine. Lots of good things to recommend here, especially for the price and location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We chose this particular hotel because one of us was having surgery at a nearby hospital. We wanted somewhere to stay with a homey atmosphere. Given the purpose of our visit, we knew we would be spending more time in our room than the average tourist and wanted the ability to do some minimal cooking in a comfortable atmosphere. We found the perfectd place with the added benefit that the hotel environs did not have that typical “hotel” smell; it was really almost like a home.

When we left, we both agreed that we could not possibly have made a better choice. From the initial reservation contact with a very helpful sales manager, through daily encounters with staff including effective housekeeping; from the comfortable sofa and chairs in the living area to the separate bedroom (we had a suite), from a full-service kitchen (microwave, oven, dishwasher plus bowls, plates, cups, glasses and silverware; to the modern bath/shower, this hotel is well-above standard accommodations. As a plus, we found the best and most responsive temperature control we have ever seen in many, many years of hotel visits.

A nice touch were the “social hours” Monday through Wednesday from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM, with a complimentary buffet and wine and soft drinks bar. There was a different theme each night for food. I particularly enjoyed the Italian and the BBQ nights. The complimentary morning breakfast, served from 6:00 AM to 9:30 PM, consisted of three hot dishes—scrambled eggs, a varied type of potatoes, and some form of turkey sausage or bacon—plus the usual oatmeal, cold cereals, yoghurt, waffles and pastries. There even were fresh blueberries for the waffles or cereal. The lobby has snack-type vending machines including microwave meals, even to my surprise, frozen White Castle cheeseburgers! These are not coin-operated, which I liked, because I could just pay at the desk.

There is a small bar area in the hotel but no restaurant, understandable given the purpose of a residence inn. However, a short walk across a courtyard takes guests to a Marriott Courtyard hotel, with a “bistro” type restaurant, open for breakfast and dinner, with hearty appetizers, specialty sandwiches and cocktails in the evening. Having this option, when you are not in the mood for an expedition to a formal restaurant, was an additional benefit. As an aside, grilled chicken quesadillas with salsa and sour cream seems to be a Marriott specialty; it has been delicious in every Marriott sports bar/bistro eatery we have visited.

Overall, I give the Marriott Residence Inn Downtown Tampa my highest recommendation, particularly if you need the amenities described.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed two nights for a trip with friends and was not disappointed.

Here's what you'll get:
* clean/large rooms
* free breakfast
* small store (food/toiletries)
* gym
* pool/hot tub
* basketball hoop
* downtown location
* parking (across the street for a fee)
* friendly staff

The price is very reasonable for the location and quality of accommodations.

Room Tip: Two bedroom suite sleeps 6 very comfortably (even sofa bed was comfy).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Shab S, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
LittleCristy, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. Giving our guests a great experience at our hotel is our top priority! We hope that you will be able to come and stay with us again.

Been to Residence Inn Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!