“Ghetto Service and Location” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #56 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Ghetto Service and Location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I came to this property in hopes that " Marriott Standards" are the same around the world. Upon entering the hotel ( should call it a motel), no one was at the checkin desk. I kindly rung the bell, and a young african fellow in sneakers by the name of Kenneth came up to check me in . He made no eye contact me with, and didnt offer any of the hotel ammenities, and above all, didn't give me the password for inernet access. I had to call down, without anyone picking up the line. Left me no choice but to come down myself and interrupt my conference call. That night, I was told that walking was acceptable to get to the nearby bars. Literally three homeless men stopped to ask me for money!!! On top of that, there were homeless bums sleeping outside of the library!!How weird is this? Upon checkout, I was rudely interrupted by a housekeeper with a bad attitude. She didnt knock, entered my room, and told me I had to checkout To me, it looks like they hire any one from the street to do the job. . I asked for a late checkout upon checkin, and again, another problem. I marched down to the desk, and spoke with one of the Head Managers about everything. This guy was a total moron, and didnt offer any solution. I will be writing to Marriott Customer Care about everything, and hopefully shuy this place down for good!! Never stay here, or any other Marriott again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
GMRITAMPADOWNTOWN, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Mar 1, 2011
Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn Tampa Downtown and providing your feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you took advantage of our Residence Inn secured High Speed Internet while a guest of ours. We offer both wired and wireless connectivity and at no additional cost to our guests. However I do apologize that you did not verbally receive the password at check in. As a second resource for our guests, our front desk key cards jackets are stamped with the WIFI password. Either way, I do apologize for the oversight and will communicate this to our team for follow up.
You did mention the late check out as a second item. We are pleased to offer an extended a courtesy late check out when coordinated through our front desk in advance. In some cases, additional charges are applicable however we do make every effort to accommodate our guest special requests.
I personally invite you to give us another try during your next visit to Tampa and invite you to contact me if I can ever be of service.

Stephanos G. Anamisis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Timbuktu, Mali
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

A group of us (four girls) stayed at this hotel last weekend. We opted for a two bedroom/two bath room which worked perfectly.

There was a queen bed and bathroom in each room. Each room also had its own desk, closet, and flat-screen TV. In the living room, there was a nice big couch, a chair, a flat-screen TV and also a fireplace! The room setup was PERFECT and that's why I love the Residence Inn properties. They really make it nice to travel with a group!

The kitchen was stocked. It was your typical Residence Inn-style with granite countertops, a big fridge and an oven, plus a coffeemaker and microwave. Also had plates, utensils (including a bottle opener!), cups, etc. There was a small dining table just between the kitchen and the living room.

Free wifi did work (get the passcode from reception).

The pool area was quite small. It is shared with the Courtyard, which is a Marriott-sister property. We arrived at the pool area around 1 p.m. and were only able to find a few seating chairs around a table - the loungers were already taken (and there was only about 10 of them to begin with). The towels were all in use as well. Staff said the pool was heated but yiiiikes, it was not!

When we asked about getting more towels, we were told they were in the dryer. 40 minutes later, still no towels. We finally asked for shower towels (a towel is a towel, right?) and instead they handed us damp pool towels that they had plucked out of the dryer. How classy!

The small area where you can buy snacks is OK, but the lack of health food is downright atrocious. I mean, come on Tampa. There wasn't even a frozen pizza that wasn't laden with meat products (so if you are a vegetarian, COME PREPARED). No booze for sale in the small marketplace either, so again, come prepared. The Courtyard does have a bar that I believe opens at 4:30 p.m. every day.

We used the free shuttle to get to Ybor which was very convenient. The shuttle stops at 11 p.m. so we had to cab-it back to the hotel (no big whoop).

Unfortunately we were too hungover (ugh) to get up in time to take advantage of the free breakfast...

I lost an earring while I was there and unfortunately after 3 calls to lost & found I have yet to get a call back on it (just tell me that you DON'T have it, that's all I need to hear!).

All in all I would recommend this hotel but when people griped in previous reviews about the customer service, I presumed they were just being touchy. But they were right - this place's staff could use a refresher.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
GMRITAMPADOWNTOWN, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn Tampa Downtown and providing valuable feedback. Your feedback is important and will be shared with our hotel staff for quality improvements.
I am pleased to hear that you took advantage of our hotel's proximity to Tampa nightlife including Ybor City, Channelside, and Hyde Park. I did see where you mentioned a few items including our heated pool and its size. I apologize for your experience during your visit. In addition to this leisure space, we do offer two heated spas, a Sport Court ® and a guest barbeque area with additional and moveable seating. You also mentioned the availability of health food which is very important to many of our customers. I will review the selections that were available for sale in our Market and make appropriate adjustments.
Moultrie, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Stayed here because it was close to st Pete forum. Staff was friendly, room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was good, although the space wasn't big enough. The weather was great so we took our breakfast outside. There is a basketball court outside, which people were always taking advantage of. The court needs a gate if some sort.I got hit with a ball once, and almost twice. Parking area isn't big enough - hard to find a spot when you come in late. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Looks are deceiving when it comes to this hotel. I was in town last weekend for my college graduation. I had friends and family fly in who also stayed at this hotel. My first experience was checking in and the front desk attendant (Kenneth) was EXTREMELY rude to both myself and my sister. We said that we my mother had already checked into the room and that we were wanting to check in. After a long day of traveling, he responded "Well, I am supposed to just guess that you are who you are or are you going to give me some ID?" Not exactly what I was looking for when most hotels have friendly, at least engaging, staff. The room was okay overall... but appeared old and somewhat dirty. The pictures are the website make the hotel look brand new and clean and this was a far cry from the pictures. There is no actual bedspread on the beds, so you have to use the blanket they have in the closet at night. The second day our air conditioning broke and they did have someone from maintenance come quickly to fix it, but of course there was no follow-up from staff checking to make sure it was working correctly. The funny thing is my boyfriend also stayed at this hotel in a different room and while I was visiting with him in the room the a/c also went out and never worked again during his stay there.

On the second day we were there, we had to call the front desk and ask them to send someone to clean and bring towels. We never had refused service or put a sign out, so I have no idea why they didn't come.

I will say the breakfast here is good, but if you are NOT wanting to pay $200 a night for breakfast than LOOK ELSEWHERE!!! You also have to pay $10 a night for parking across the street and at night there are NO SPOTS most of the time. It's a bad area of downtown overall... there are projects a couple of miles from this location. DEFINITELY NOT A SAFE AREA OF TOWN. Also, very loud as it is downtown and you can hear traffic all through the night.

• Stayed February 2011
GMRITAMPADOWNTOWN, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn Tampa Downtown and providing valuable feedback. I did want to personally congratulate you on your achievement.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hot breakfast while a guest of ours. I apologize for your experience with the front desk attendant requesting proper identification. I can understand your frustration and provided additional training to this associate. You also mentioned the location, noise, and parking as a particular concern. The Arts District of Tampa is a vibrant location with a great deal of activity. Our location is preferred by many who prefer to be adjacent to the performing arts venues, museums and colleges. We do offer convenient self parking in a secure lot and we are available 24/7 to handle all parking related questions.

I personally invite you to give us another try during your next visit to Tampa. I would be happy to assist you in making your reservation and assuring that you have the room type and amenities that you need.

Stephanos G. Anamisis
Residence Inn Tampa Downtown
South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed here for business one night recently. Parking is in a gated lot across from the hotel and you use your room key for ingress and egress. The hotel is connected across a "courtyard" with a Courtyard. This is the nicer of the two hotels. The lobby is clean and modern with a slightly small but very functional eating/social area. The fitness center is small with two treadmills, a stairmaster and a stationary bike. There are some free weights. There is an outside basketball court. The rooms are modern with modern furniture and appealing pain and decorations. There are two flat screen TVs in the room. The bed is comfortable. After a not-so-great trip to a Residence Inn in Orlando the night before, this was a welcome relief.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I stayed at the Residence Inn downtown Tampa pre-cruise. The stay got off to a wonderful start when we got a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. Our room was very spacious and impeccably clean. The only (very minor) issue that we had with the room was a running toilet. When I called it in, a manager came right away to fix it.

On Friday night, we went on a ghost tour. We walked over to the meeting spot about half a mile away and it was a beautiful walk. We could have taken the shuttle but it honestly never even crossed our minds. There are several restuarants withing half a mile of the hotel but most close around 10 or so.

On Saturday morning, we walked over to Channelside (once again, we actually wanted the exercise) for a Segway tour, which was amazing. It was an easy beautiful walk. After we ate lunch, had a drink and did some shopping, we called for the shuttle back to the hotel. It was only about a five minute wait and the driver was very friendly.

On Saturday night, we got a map from the very friendly front desk staff and walked half a mile to the nearest pharmacy, a CVS. Be aware, they close early and we barely made it. We got some pizza that we ate by the pool. There were some unruly kids running around that slightly ruined the peaceful atmosphere of the courtyard area. We also signed up for the shuttle to the port the next day. With 11 people and luggage, I didn't think that everyone would fit, but the manager and driver did an awesome job getting everybody onboard and with leg room. Sign up early if you want an early shuttle. They fill up fast.

The breakfast buffet was wonderful and the staff there was very attentive. There is also a small convenience store area in the lobby that was a little pricey but nice for when you really want something late at night. Everyone working at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The shuttle drivers were speedy and nice. Our room was very clean and the bedding was extremely comfortable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Residence Inn Tampa
Got off to a bad start because we arrived at 3:30 pm and room WAS NOT READY. They did have one ready in less than 15 minutes but not what one expects when arriving after check in starts.
Room 205-room right next to elevator waiting area so noisy at times. Room not up to standards of other Marriotts where I’ve stayed and well below my recent stays at several Holiday Inns. Telephone cord comes loose if phone is moved. Fold out bed uncomfortable and not prepared when we arrived. Bathroom looked iffy-not sure if it had been cleaned thoroughly since seat down and no strip.
Room had two rooms: 1 had kitchen area with full kitchen-stove, refrigerator, microwave but no oven. There was also a sink, toaster, coffee pot, and dishwasher. Coffee/tea and condiments also provided. A desk with chair and telephone with loose cord, a table with two chairs, another chair by window with lamp, a flat screen tv on top of a dresser, and the sofabed. The other room had a bed, two bedside tables, a dresser with another flat screen tv, a closet, another phone, and a sink. There was no safe! A few amenities were provided. Standard bathroom with tub/shower combo and toilet. Even though hotel was recently remodeled according to their website, it could still use some more finishing touches. Basketball court was just outside room and the pool could be seen not too far away. We were on the backside that shares its pool and courtyard with the Marriott Courtyard behind it.
All of the above was written just after check-in. It’s now 3 days later. Noise not so bad at night-no problem sleeping, but I had lots of beer at the U of Tampa reunion parties-not my alma mater but with a friend and always have a great time. The breakfast was so so. We only did it the first morning. Scrambled eggs, sausage patties, potatoes, bread, juices, etc. ok but nothing to write home about. Lots of women-1 other man eating-cackling so very noisy. Staff was friendly and no issues there. Room cleaned and nothing missing the second day. I slept on sofa bed, and it was good with my bad back-no pains-actually comfortable good nights’ sleep but I did have some antifreeze in me! I wish we had been higher and had a better view. TV worked fine although I don’t think there were as many channels as listed. I tried a menu scan, but it was blocked. Bathroom had one major issue-bathtub has sand paper like strips to prevent falling when showering but made bath painful!
I would stay here again, but I prefer their neighbor hotel: the Courtyard by Marriott…but this hotel is less expensive and met all our needs. I wish there were a Holiday Inn brand downtown, but there isn’t. We didn’t use the shuttle, but there was a sign saying to expect delays anyway! Tampa is an energetic city, much better than Orlando where I live, and this hotel is above average unless the room is not ready for hours or there is too much noise.
And the free high speed internet worked perfectly...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!