“Pre cruise hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
BOCA RATON
“Pre cruise hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I searched for a long time as there were so many properties to choose from. My decision was made to stay here because there were 3 of us, so we went for the "suites." We each had our own sleeping areas and shared the bathroom. I will second the notions about dim lighting in the bathroom, no biggie but the bed was the Best ever. Sleeper sofa, not so much. Mall very close for shopping, steakhouse, next door, but we just chilled at the hotel. We used the hotels restaurant for all three meals, as the port was evacuated due to a bomb scare. The hotel was VeryNice in letting us extend our checkout as we couldn't go to the port until all was clear around 4:30, but had to vacate room at 2:00pm. All staff were very nice, ambiance very pretty and food yummy. Complimentary Starbucks coffee at check in desk was a wonderful plus. They also offered a shuttle to the port, which they charged I believe 10.00pp, which wasn't offered due to bomb scare. They catered more to the airport, and port was offered at 11.30am and 12.30, which on this particular day, didn't work, so we arranged a shuttle with someone recommended by the staff from the hotel, as we stayed there until the port opened back up. Can't go wrong with this property! Enjoyed our stay, nice and quiet.

• Stayed April 2013
dwrossman, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear SUZANNE G,

Thank you for the review and for choosing our hotel to start off your vacation. I am sorry that your sailing was delayed but I trust that you were able to get into the spirit of things after you were underway. I hope to see you all prior to your next voyage!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Booked a specific room type well in advance. Knew we would arrive late so on the day of arrival called the hotel and spoke with the staff onsite. We were assured the room would be held and a notation placed on the reservation. Despite this upon arrival the room type was not available.

Complained to management at the front desk the following morning but somehow it was my fault? So much for being an SPG Gold Member. Aside from the response at the front desk the other hotel staff were cordial and courteous.

Some other observations. The hotel and furnishings are a bit worse for wear. This especially applies to the beds which are extremely soft. There is limited parking. There is an overflow area available. However both the parking in the rear and overflow area are remote and unpatrolled. I certainly would not want my daughter or wife to use these facilities out of hours. The breakfast buffet selection is limited but fresh.

If you are looking for accommodation near Tampa Airport the location is convenient and the price reasonable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
dwrossman, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Liketotravel77

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay with us this past weekend. Please allow me to apologize for failing to properly note your bed type request on your reservation. We should have pre-blocked you into a king-bedded suite especially when you called to confirm your request. Our guest services manager has already spoken to the team and used this situation for training purposes. I am pleased to report that in May all of our suites will be receiving brand new beds! I will be interested in your opinion. As for parking, a few times per month we do need to use our neighbors for overflow parking. The parking deck that we use is patrolled by uniformed security personnel. In addition, our staff is always available to escort guests to or from their vehicle parking location. Thank you for staying with us and for your constructive feedback.
Weston, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for one night. Lobby is beautiful but room is a little dark and bathroom is very small with horriable lighting. The bed was Very comfortable and all the other amenities seem fine ( i. e. TV). Thought the Breakfast was extremely pricey ( $12.00 for the buffet) so we went around the corner to the Waffle House and had a great breakfast for a fraction of the price. The hotel is extrmemly close to the airport - so for convience to the airport it is great, and there are lots of restaurants close by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Loreen B

Thank for staying with us and for your review. I am sorry for the lighting in your bathroom. By private message I hope to learn the suite number you were in so we can take care of any defect. I am partial to our buffet as it has a lot to choose from including fresh fruit, yogurts, home-baked breakfast breads, cooked to order eggs, etc., etc. That said, I have been spotted at Waffle House once or twice (don’t tell my chef!).
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We checked in on a Thursday. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful. The front desk clerk was friendly, check in went smoothly and our room was ready early.
Our "suite" was dismal. The rug in the bedroom was unraveling; besides the bathroom being very very small, the bathroom was dimly lit, the mirror in the bathroom was peeling as was the paint. The cabinet that housed the refrigerator was rotted - really rotted. The sitting room furniture was dirty and there were large chips in the tables. The dorm sized refrigerator froze everything. It was not a Sheraton quality property.
I realize these are not easy fixes. I filled out a comment card and left it at the front desk as the desk was unattended. I stated on the comment card I had not spoke with anyone, but would love to. When we returned from a day out on Saturday, (after 11PM)our room was not clean. The bed was made, but the floor was not vacuumed nor swept, paper glasses were not replaced, no toiletries were left and there were only two bath towels - no washcloths or hand towels were in the room. On our way out on Sunday, we stopped at the front desk and requested the room be cleaned and explained the circumstances. She was not the least bit interested, did not even give eye contact, did not apologize, just simply stated - without ever looking up- she would report it. While I understand little could be done about the unraveling rug,
rotting cabinet, chipped furniture a little courtesy would go a long way.
The 'balcony' is not a balcony. Don't be fooled -
If we had not pre-paid, we certainly would have left.
While our trip was not ruined, this hotel certainly did not enhance our trip. This hotel is either neglected by corporate headquarters or by management - Undercover boss should come here. It may be capable of being saved. THIS IS NOT A SHERATON QUALITY HOTEL. S

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel. Honestly - stay elsewhere. But if you have to stay here It is a noisy hote...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
dwrossman, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear christine g

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. By private message I hope to learn the suite number you occupied so I can perform an inspection with our chief engineer and director of rooms. Please allow me to apologize for the condition of the suite and for the failure on the part of the staff to rectify the situation. As I await your response, we will use this situation for re-training for the departments involved. Thank you for your constructive comments.
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Very happy with my stay at the Sheraton Suites. The bed was comfortable and the staff was friendly. I arrived late and there was adequate staff to get me checked in quickly. I wasn't feeling well so it was nice to get to my room quickly. This is a great hotel for a business traveler given the location and amenities available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jonathan S

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you made a full and quick recovery from being under the weather. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We checked in on St. Patrick's Day with the Front Desk help of Jennifer, who has a personality and sense of humor as pleasant as your very favorite relative. The suites are very clean, large, open and airy. A 42 inch television, a computer, and a couch and easy chair in the front sitting room separate from the bedroom with its own 42 inch television. Nicely appointed dining area and separate computer lounge as well as a beautiful center atrium. We had a nice shuttle ride to and from the Brick House restaurant/bar by van driver, Dean. Other staff who were of great assistance were David and Brook, the Hotel Manager, who was able to finish the Iowa Fight Song I initiated just before we left. She adds a Midwest hospitality and pleasantness that you must experience! A great place made great by the beayutiful personalities of its employees!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Neil W

Eventually, everyone from the Midwestern U.S. will move to the west coast of Florida. So, start looking for real estate now. Yes, our wonderful Brooke is a proud Hawkeye having graduated from the University of Iowa. Brooke is a great role model for the other fine team members you came in contact with and when she’s not working (which is not often) she is rooting for Herky and ‘Our Dear Old Gold’!
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is an airport hotel ,I waited 45 minutes for the shuttle because They sent it to the wrong
Place twice. I stay in starwood properties over 100 nights year,so I know what to expect in a hotel.

While the front office manager was explaining to me why the shuttle couldn't find me and
Why my room was not ready she excused herself and said I would have to wait while she
Checks in a group of airline employees that came in after i did,and oddly enough their rooms were
Ready!

This used to be an embasy suites,its old and dumpy(see picture of the room)they painted over
The windows around the door,so it feels like a cave.

They do not press the sheets in this hotel.

It looks like someone already slept in the bed(see photo).

The management in this hotel is worst I have ever experienced!
There are banners and placards all over the lobby that announce the hotels wine promotion for happy hour(see photo)they even have it on the room keys and yet when you go to the bar and ask
The bartenders,they know nothing about it!!!!!!!!!!! How can that be,they have to walk past the signs to get to work!

The gym is a joke,the pool is rented out for private swimming lessons.
The hotel is like a saturday night live parady of what a hotel should be like!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear TravelLikeaStar

We will never be satisfied until we exceed the expectations of 100% of our guests. I am sorry that you left with a poor view of us and I consider that a failure, and I hate to fail. I know each of our hotel’s team members and I can vouch that each one of them works hard to take care of our guests. This is evidenced by the great number of positive TripAdvisor reviews we receive and the dozens of written comments I get each month. I am sorry that we did not succeed in making a connection with you as that is what we strive to do with everyone that walks through our doors. I hope that someday we get the chance to show you that we are better than what you experienced.

Been to Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore? Share your experiences!