“Location/view are the highlights of this place.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Cruise Transportation
Ranked #45 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Location/view are the highlights of this place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I spent a week here on business and was pretty happy with the stay, however the hotel itself did not blow my socks off. The definite best part of the stay was the view of the bay from the room. I even saw dolphins swimming by a few times. (of course only half of the rooms have this view, so if you get a room facing the parking lot you'd be missing out on the best part of the place) The pool is also very nice, big, and clean. And if you have a room with a bay view, you also have a view of the pool which adds to the beauty of the view.

So, now that I've established what I really like about the property, I'll add my thoughts on the hotel itself... I must agree that the building is a little dated, but its more the design of the building as opposed to the furnishings. In fact the most of the interior (furniture, carpeting, furnishings, etc) looked quite new/modern. Additionally the rooms are very large with a bedroom and completely separate living room. Each room also has a 'kitchen' area with a sink, coffee maker, mini fridge, and microwave (which really raises my level of satisfaction with a hotel when it has these). The bathroom also was pretty nice and modern. There's a big modern TV in both rooms. The bed and pillows were very comfy, but the rest of the furniture (couch, chairs etc) was kind of cheap and not comfy at all. (But to me the bed comfort is the most important aspect of the room, so I don't much care about the other furniture) I had breakfast in the restaurant a few days and it was pretty decent. I was also pretty happy with the TV channel selection as compared to other hotels I've stayed at lately.

Of course there were a few negatives that I noticed, so I'll list them: The elevators were really annoying. They weren't slow, but there is only 2 of them for a hotel with over 150 rooms, so they are always hard to get and they stop on almost every floor when going up and down (adds a lot of delay if you're on the 6th or 7th floor). This place needs 3 or 4 elevators. Another negative, but kind of a minor one, was that in the kitchen area there was a huge area of cabinets under the 'kitchen' counter where the micro, coffe, etc sits. But despite the 4 or 5 cabinet doors, none of them opened? They are apparently fake doors that don't open despite all of the storage area behind them. I had a lot of snacks and other stuff that I wanted to store in the cabinets, but instead I had to pile them on the counter top. And finally, the last negative I'll mention was the AC. As others have mentioned it was pretty loud. But it really didn't affect my sleep too much.

And lastly I want to add my thoughts on the staff because I don't quite agree with all of the sparkling comments others have made here. I didn't find the staff to be horrible, but I wasn't impressed. Most of the staff that I interacted with was professional and polite, such as the waiter at breakfast each day that was really good. But there were a few that just weren't that nice such as the shuttle driver that just parked right in the middle of the driveway (blocking it) and glanced at me and then ignored me when I honked for him to move over (he made me back all the way back out instead of moving over) or the restauarant host that just looked at me indifferently without saying a word on my last morning when I walked in and said 'good morning, a table for one please'. So these few individuals didn't represent all of the staff members, but I just found the customer service overall to be so-so, not outstanding whatsoever.

In summary... I did like this place and would definitely stay again. It does have some issues, but overall it is pretty nice and the location is great.

Room Tip: Do whatever necessary to get a room facing the bay. The rooms on the other side aren't worth st...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is pretty awesome actually. It might need a little upgrades but it's not very noticeable right off. Yes the ac is loud but that happens to be something that eases me to sleep. :). The lobby needs more comfy furniture but that is not a deal breaker. The pull out beds blow. But regular beds are great. Overall good experience good area and no bed bugs. This is a good thing

• Stayed June 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Came from Ga for my nephew graduation, and I must say I was impressed. I did not want to leave after my 2 night stay. The bed was comfy, and view of the water was awesome. When I come back this will be my Place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012
TPARH, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel! We were glad to hear that you enjoyed our Sweet Dreams® bedding and the views of Tampa Bay that surround our hotel!

Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I travel to Tampa every 3-4 weeks and this is my hotel of choice. The staff are friendly and always extremely helpful. The location is very close to the airport, the view from the rooms is wonderful and there are a few decent restaurants close by. The hotel also has easy access to other sections of Tampa, including downtown.

The breakfast is typical for a Doubletree. If you stay at this hotel, the staff will definitely take care of you, the rooms will be extremely spacious and clean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
TPARH, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel! We were glad to hear that you enjoyed our friendly customer service and spacious two-room suites!

Loganville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I found this hotel to be very clean and the staff the best I have experience in a while. We had a king suite with a bay view and it was very lovely view of the bay and Tampa Hotel is conveniently located to airport, beaches and restaurants and shopping malls..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel! We were glad to hear that you enjoyed our friendly customer service and clean suites! We were also glad to hear that you enjoyed the views of Tampa Bay from your suite!

Decatur, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hotel is perfect for folks that are having surgery at Laser Spine Institute. A free shuttle runs between 6:00 am and 2:30 pm to take people from the hotel to the laser spine institute with at most a 5 miute wait. The other 24 hour shuttle will take you where ever you want to go within a three miles including the airport. There are 2 malls and many restaurants within the 3 miles. The front desk personnel will take your ice packs and freeze them for you. The suites are nice sized with 2 flat screen TVs, refrigerator and microwave. The staff at the hotel made us feel welcome and helped us with everything we asked. My sister was across the hall from my wife and I. Both suites has good views. I cannot say enough good about the people and the property. J. P.

Room Tip: I don't think there were any bad rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel! We were glad to hear that you enjoyed our friendly customer service while recuperating from your recent surgery at the neighboring Laser Spine Institute!

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Like other reviewers have posted, the staff at this hotel and the location are the strong points. The decor is old, the food is blah and my room was not the cleanest. For a one night stay on business travel, it was workable. I wouldn't stay here again though. There were many other hotels within a one mile radius to choose from.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
TPARH, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear that you had issues during your recent visit regarding the noise from the air conditioner. Please know that your feedback regarding the quality of the food and cleanliness of your suite has been shared with the appropriate members of management to further address.

Thank you.

The Staff and Management of the Doubletree Guest Suites Tampa Bay

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!