I spent a week here on business and was pretty happy with the stay, however the hotel itself did not blow my socks off. The definite best part of the stay was the view of the bay from the room. I even saw dolphins swimming by a few times. (of course only half of the rooms have this view, so if you get a room facing the parking lot you'd be missing out on the best part of the place) The pool is also very nice, big, and clean. And if you have a room with a bay view, you also have a view of the pool which adds to the beauty of the view.
So, now that I've established what I really like about the property, I'll add my thoughts on the hotel itself... I must agree that the building is a little dated, but its more the design of the building as opposed to the furnishings. In fact the most of the interior (furniture, carpeting, furnishings, etc) looked quite new/modern. Additionally the rooms are very large with a bedroom and completely separate living room. Each room also has a 'kitchen' area with a sink, coffee maker, mini fridge, and microwave (which really raises my level of satisfaction with a hotel when it has these). The bathroom also was pretty nice and modern. There's a big modern TV in both rooms. The bed and pillows were very comfy, but the rest of the furniture (couch, chairs etc) was kind of cheap and not comfy at all. (But to me the bed comfort is the most important aspect of the room, so I don't much care about the other furniture) I had breakfast in the restaurant a few days and it was pretty decent. I was also pretty happy with the TV channel selection as compared to other hotels I've stayed at lately.
Of course there were a few negatives that I noticed, so I'll list them: The elevators were really annoying. They weren't slow, but there is only 2 of them for a hotel with over 150 rooms, so they are always hard to get and they stop on almost every floor when going up and down (adds a lot of delay if you're on the 6th or 7th floor). This place needs 3 or 4 elevators. Another negative, but kind of a minor one, was that in the kitchen area there was a huge area of cabinets under the 'kitchen' counter where the micro, coffe, etc sits. But despite the 4 or 5 cabinet doors, none of them opened? They are apparently fake doors that don't open despite all of the storage area behind them. I had a lot of snacks and other stuff that I wanted to store in the cabinets, but instead I had to pile them on the counter top. And finally, the last negative I'll mention was the AC. As others have mentioned it was pretty loud. But it really didn't affect my sleep too much.
And lastly I want to add my thoughts on the staff because I don't quite agree with all of the sparkling comments others have made here. I didn't find the staff to be horrible, but I wasn't impressed. Most of the staff that I interacted with was professional and polite, such as the waiter at breakfast each day that was really good. But there were a few that just weren't that nice such as the shuttle driver that just parked right in the middle of the driveway (blocking it) and glanced at me and then ignored me when I honked for him to move over (he made me back all the way back out instead of moving over) or the restauarant host that just looked at me indifferently without saying a word on my last morning when I walked in and said 'good morning, a table for one please'. So these few individuals didn't represent all of the staff members, but I just found the customer service overall to be so-so, not outstanding whatsoever.
In summary... I did like this place and would definitely stay again. It does have some issues, but overall it is pretty nice and the location is great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Doubletree Guest Suites Tampa Bay is a full-service, all-suite, waterfront property. All of our oversized suites consist of a bedroom area with separate living room with sofa sleeper - all with spectacular views! As the perfect location for leisure and business travelers, we offer an outdoor heated pool overlooking Old Tampa Bay, On-Site Health Club, Galerie Restaurant & Lounge serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner and close to shopping, dining, and area attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Suites By Hilton Tampa Bay Hotel Tampa
- Doubletree Hotel Tampa Bay
- Doubletree Tampa
- Doubletree Guest Suite Tampa Bay