“Great Food & Atmosphere, Wait Staff Could Be More Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Grill - Tampa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 1,964 restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Golden, CO
“Great Food & Atmosphere, Wait Staff Could Be More Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I visited this restaurant just a few days ago. I was so impressed with the restaurant itself. It is beautiful and situated next to a pond with water fountains. Very picturesque. We had sushi and the food was absolutely amazing. Great happy hour prices. However, I found the hostess and waiter to not be very friendly. They didn't come across as welcoming or smiling and instead came across like we were a bother to them. I loved the food and the atmosphere but when the wait staff and hostess are not as equally pleasant, that can hurt a business a lot. I will try again and hopefully it was just an off night. I'm giving it a 4 rating because of that but if I were to rate just the staff, it would probably be a 2.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Tampa, Florida
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Food was okay but nothing memorable. It took a very long time to be approached by anyone after being seated on the patio. 2 servers shared the work on the patio. The male server was pleasant and friendly; the tall female server acted like she was a little above waiting tables. My biggest complaint is that the servers closed my check out at the same time as the large party next to us and unbeknownst to me had put that table's bill (as well as our bill) on my debit card. The next morning I happened to be doing my online banking and noticed that there were 2 charges pending from Kona Grill and one of them for $128 was not mine. I called and spoke to a manager who said he was sorry and that the server obviously made an error and that he has told servers that when this happens to bring the guest a voided slip so that the guest can see that it was an error. He assured me that the additional charge which was "pending" would not be finalized and would be off of my bank statement by Monday, (we dined at Kona on a Friday), and that IF IT WASN'T, to call him back and he would refund my lunch for the inconvenience. Two things struck me wrong about this. Number one, he made a big deal of saying that he has told his servers many times that when this happens, to bring a void slip to the guest that was charged in error, so that the guest can see that it was a mistake. This tells me that this happens too often. It should not be that difficult to keep the right card with the right check. Number two, he's telling me to watch my statement and call him again if it isn't rectified and he will make up for my inconvenience? Did he not think it was already inconvenient to have $128 unavailable for a couple of days because of their error? It was a debit card, not a credit card, so any pending amount comes off of my available balance immediately. Did he not think it was inconvenient to have to call about this in the first place? Did he not think it was inconvenient to have to go back and check to make sure the error was corrected? This place did not impress me but I am trying to be fair and call it "average" even though the check situation was handled poorly.

Visited March 2013
MA
“Happy Hour Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This Review is for Happy Hour only - including Happy hour menu items (we did not order anything from the rest of the menu). We visited this restaurant on a Friday night, which was pretty crowded but we did not have to wait for a seat at the bar. We then went again on a Monday night, and the bar area was less than half full so it was a lot quieter and less crowded.

Kona Grill's happy is from 3-11pm M-F, which is pretty awesome. We ordered a bunch of things off of the HH menu which were mostly hits but there were a few misses. The items that we got that we enjoyed included: Potstickers, Roasted Corn and Goat Cheese Flatbread, Wave Roll, & the Voodoo Roll. A few items that we got that we were not too impressed with include: The Shrimp tacos (flour tortillas with spicy shrimp and a weird sauce that did nothing for the dish) and the Chicken Satay, which was good except the sauces which were a little lacking.

Overall, Kona Grill has a great happy hour and I would definitely recommend checking it out - they have a wide selection of happy hour items and drink specials. All of the (bar) staff were very nice and attentive.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Service is ghastly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Party of 6 we sat outside which was very nice. Service was soooo slow drinks took forever food even longer and although the food was good it was not something worth waiting for as long as we did. Just flat out poor service.

Visited April 2013
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“Great Happy Hour prices for Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you like Sushi...go here for Happy Hour prices. Sat outside and had 3 different sushi rolls (@$3.50 each) and a beer for $15.00. Other items on the Happy Hour menu were also priced well. Can't beat it! Of course it was crowded at 5pm on a Friday but it was worth it. I'll be back the next time I return to Tampa. Didn't have dinner there but will probably do so the next trip.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Kona Grill - Tampa? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Kona Grill - Tampa, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.