“great food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Refinery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #222 of 1,877 Restaurants in Tampa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Frierson Ave
Description: This is a new restaurant that openend in Tampa in March of 2010.
East Brunswick, New Jersey
“great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Food is very good, but since prices are so low, it is a busy place. Wine selection is poor, although the few wines available are good. I would suggest treating it as a BYO, pay the $15 corkage, and tip generously. The food was excellent, and so was the service. The outdoor second floor seating is first-come-first-served. Reservation are for ground floor indoors. We found it noisy indooors. We will go back.

Visited April 2013

USA
“What's all the rave about?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I wanted to love the Refinery...after all, it's right in my neighborhood. After hearing about all the chef's culinary awards, I was sure I'd become a regular at this place. Well, after dining there this weekend, I will not be back. The food was just okay. I think the tastiest thing I had was the quail appetizer. My main dish, pork shoulder, was dry. My main complaint is the staff's attitude toward's the end of our meal. Everything had gone fine but then someone from our table wanted to split the checks. We were told that The Refinery's "no splitting the check" policy for large parties was on the menu. Who likes to be told by your waiter, "Just read the menu"??? No one I know. Point is, the message could have been delivered a tad more professionally. There was a second person who came to pick up our checks perhaps for "quality control" and he asked how everything was. Everyone tried to be nice and say everything was good. Then one of us mentioned that we didn't like how the waiter handled telling us that the checks couldn't be split. Guess what Mr Quality Control said. The policy is on the menu! Furthermore, he went on to rant about how all of us didn't arrive at the same time. What? That has nothing to do with splitting checks. I'm glad I checked The Refinery out, but once was good enough for me.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dunedin, Florida
“I expected more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to love this restaurant but I am not a fan. The wine list was terrible (too many from South America and not enough domestics). The food was delicious but no substitutions was difficult. I had snapper that was a little dry and my husband had the hanger steak that was wonderful. The portions were too small with no salad or anything except the entree and a few veggies. Had room for dessert. The orange pie had a bad texture think Knox gelatin but the crust was good. The service was also slow. It took about one hour for the food to arrive. Atmosphere over 41 terrible. I probably won't be back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lutz, Florida
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We dined at The Refinery last night for the first time. How could we have lived in Tampa for over 20 years and never heard of this fantastic place? I do not remember enjoying a meal this much, ever. The concept of changing their menu weekly depending on what ingredients are available locally is unique for this area and makes the prospect of returning interesting.

I am not a strict vegetarian, but lean that way about 75% of the time. The menu specifies which items are vegetarian and/or gluten free. I decided to stick to both and did not regret it. My appetizer, main course and dessert were all artfully prepared taste sensations that digested well. What more could you ask for in a meal? It is obvious to me that a very creative, experienced and skilled chef is involved in designing the weekly menu.

Prices are moderate (main dishes $13-25) and the atmosphere is eclectic. Move over Seasons 52, I may have a new favorite restaurant!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I went to this restaurant 2 weeks ago and absolutely loved it. The rooftop seating adds more value to your dining experience to go with the weekly menu changes. They have great beer collection as well.
I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking to try it out.

• Visited March 2013