“First bad review I ever written.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites by Marriott Tampa North / Tampa Palms

Save Saved
You added SpringHill Suites by Marriott Tampa North / Tampa Palms to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Tampa North / Tampa Palms
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5396 Primrose Lake Circle, Tampa, FL 33647   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #24 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Chicago, Illinois
“First bad review I ever written.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have written many reviews and I don't like writing bad ones. I do understand not all hotels are perfect and sometimes things just go wrong, but the problems at this property I believe are all mangement ones.
We stayed there five days last week of February, 2013. The worst problem was that we didn't have hot water for showers the whole time we were there and I'm sorry but that's a priority for me, I put my 3 year old grandson in the shower and he cried out " it's cold gramma". After our visit I spoke to others that stayed at this property and they had the same problem especially when the hotel is booked, the only time we had hot water was in the afternoon. That tells me it is an ongoing problem that management doesn't do anything about.
The other problem we had was we called the front desk around 9:45 that we had a problem with the toilet and need someone to come up with a plunger, we were told they didn't know where it was and we would have to wait for the next shift for someone else to come up. We waited till 11:00p.m. and called agian, well by then there was a shift change and the only person on duty in the whole entire hotel didn't know anything about our call and said she could not leave the front desk and that she didn't know where the plungers were. So I had to go down in my pajamas to the front desk and ask her for the plunger. I did feel bad for this person as it was totally dumped on her. Anyway, she left an already made sigh that apparently they use when they DO leave the desk stating that they will be right back. So I followed her to our floor she went directly to a closet and pulled the plunger out and gave it to me after she stated she didn't know where they were kept. This is another management problem having only 1 person avaiable for a fully booked hotel.
Those are the 2 main problems we had, the following problems are ones I normally wouldn't bother writing about if the 2 main ones didn't exist.

The drinks in the refrigerator at the mini market in the lobby were expired. The mini market was pretty empty and not till our last day did they replenished it.

They didn't have enough help during the breakfast time in the lobby, they had 3 bus load of kids for some kind of competition and only 1 lady trying to keep up with the breakfast. Breakfast items and coffee constantly out and having to wait to even ask about more forks. There was another lady in a suit that would come around every once in awhile and try to help but mostly just chatting with the guest apologizing for running out of the items. I work in service and know that this is management not having enough help for the amount of guest that are booked.
The ice machine was not working on our floor and had to go to two other floors before we could find a working ice machine and this apparently had been out awhile and remained broken through out our visit.
Basically, we will not return to this hotel. We travel a great deal and know that there is other options. The Holiday INN express down the street is rated the #1 in this area and those reviews are great, we only stayed at the Spring Hill for the reward points but hot water is more important than points.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Yamini T, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Tampa North / Tampa Palms, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to write a review regarding your stay at our property. Please accept my personal apology for your experience. The issues with water pressure, landscaping, and busy breakfasts (during the weekend) have all be resolved. We would like the opportunity to regain your confidence. Please contact me should the opportunity to return to Tampa arise.

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The employees here, especially the front desk, are extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming. We had many questions about the area and they were always more than happy to help. I actually found the location near I75 and Bruce B Downs very convenient, and there is ample parking at the hotel. Our room was bright, clean and comfortable with plenty of space to spread out and relax. I was happy to see a recycling in the room! My only complaints are: the bathroom setup in the room - the door is difficult to open and close, and since it's separate from the shower there is no trash can; and the complimentary breakfast. The items were not well stocked, we went down around 8:30am and many items were out and no one came to refill them while we were there. Lacking in variety, and the eggs tasted watery and cold. However, there's a McDonald's right around the corner, so we were still able to get a convenient breakfast. I'd definitely stay here again!

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having moved from Tampa to another state for a while, I come back to visit friends often. This is my first stay at this hotel but I have found a keeper. It is in north Tampa near Wesley Chapel. Yes, Bruce B Downs gets a little congested but what road in Tampa doesn't?
The lobby is whimsical and lovely in ocean shades of blue. You may not be near the beach but you will feel like you are! The entire hotel is immaculately clean and tidy. The room is extremely spacious so you do not feel like you are cooped up away from the Florida sunshine. The breakfast room is sunny, cheery and welcoming and the breakfast itself is very nice. Nothing fancy but everything well presented, neat and tasty. The front desk has been very helpful. I was scheduled to stay at another hotel for the next few nights (to be closer to the Gasparilla marathon events) but I asked the front desk clerk if there were any vacancies here for the next 2 nights. I told her I would get back to her when I decided. Later, when I firmly decided to stay, I found that she had already gone ahead and held the room for me without even being asked as she explained it was getting full and she could always cancel it. So thoughtful! That is what makes a good hotel and outstanding hotel! There is a nice pool, small but comfortable. This is a pet friendly hotel so on my next visit, the pup is coming along!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a good alternative if you want to be on the north/northeast side of Tampa. We were going to Busch Gardens, so it was perfect. It's right next to I-75, which is great for convenience, but, as I found out the hard way, is really noisy throughout the entire night due to the volume of trucking. The noise was bad enough that I had a really hard time sleeping the first night. After the first night, I asked to be switched to a room on the farthest end of the hotel facing away from the highway. Even though the hotel was heavily booked, Laurel was great at finding me a room that worked and the rest of my stay was much more pleasant. The rooms are decent size and the bed is fairly comfortable. The bathrooms have opaque glass doors, which look pretty stylish, but are not the greatest for function because if someone goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night or showers really early the light shines through the glass and makes it hard to sleep. Also, the doors are noisy and heavy and make a loud bang when closed which can also wake up the other room occupant. None of this stuff should be deal breakers, but is just small things that I noticed during my four nights there. The breakfast is good except that the oatmeal is placed in a place that makes it really difficult and almost dangerous to get to because one has to reach up and over a glass canopy to maneuver the ladel while simultaneously holding a bowl under the canopy. Hopefully, someone from the hotel will read this and move it so it is more easily accessible. Anyway, overall a good place to stay if you need to be near USF or any of the area hospitals or is you are going to Busch Gardens. If you are a light sleeper and need a really quiet room, make sure to request a room on the back side of the hotel away from I-75.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from I-75 and at the farthest end of the hotel away from I-75, otherwise the...
Medellin, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Fairly new, a little tricky to find, next to the USAA builnding which is the tallest in the area.
Small pool, no jacuzzi, good breakfast.
Not a big fan of the bathroom set-up, shower is in a different room from sink, just seems a bit odd.
Nice big couch.
Fairly close to USF, but as stated - bruce b downs, the road close to the hotel, sucks at rush hour - lots of construction and traffic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Etna, WY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We drove into Tampa the day before our flight home and really were lucky to find this place. It was immaculately clean and our room was very well appointed. The staff was always smiling and we wished we had stayed here a few days longer. Would absolutely stay here again.

Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here on business after selecting it from the corporate travel site. Was not really sure where it was or what I was getting other than the Marriott name. First impression on walking into the main lobby was very contemporary/European, bright, and tropical. The rooms are similar, clean and roomy with a great work area. The morning breakfast was typical without anything out of the ordinary. We did a manager's reception one night that was very enjoyable. The manager was friendly, outgoing, and mingled with the guests making us feel welcomed. The next time in the area it will be the hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Bit of a challenge to find. Be sure to have directions or a Garmin.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott Tampa North / Tampa Palms? Share your experiences!