“Appalled” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #136 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Appalled”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Me and my friends were going on a spring break cruise out of Tampa and made the poor decision of not booking a hotel room in advance. We went to many hotels in the surrounding area and ended up at the Rodeway Inn, and the first red flag should be that their was rooms available at this time. As I was checking in, I should've also considered that the fact that the manager was on the phone with a customer telling them about getting a refund for their room was another red flag. Tired, me and my friends figured that we could rough anything for a night seeing as we would only really be there to sleep about four or five hours. We did not know where to park our car and spent a good bit of time trying to find a well lit area that made us feel comfortable enough to leave it unattended for a few hours since the area of town is so rough. We were given a "non-smoking" room, and as soon as we walked in were overwhelmed with the smell of cigarettes. We pulled back the shower curtain to find a variety of bugs living in there. When we went to pull back the sheets to go to sleep, a bug crawled from underneath the pillow, and about four other bugs were crawling behind the head board and around the night stand. None of us are high maintenance or snoody, but the conditions of this hotel were unacceptable. We went to get a refund, and had to talk our way into getting our money back. When we told the manager what was wrong with our room, there were two other couples waiting in the lobby to get their refunds as well. Mind you this was 3:45 AM, and no other hotels were available.. that's how disgusting it was. When we told the manager what was wrong, he did not only seem to not care about customer satisfaction, but could be less phased by the terrible condition in which the hotel was in. We were in and out in 20 minutes.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Magnolia, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Inside rooms open into a SMALL dark hallway. Rusty fixtures & chipped tiles. Small old rooms. Beds were clean though. Location was convenient to Busch Gardens. Would definitely look for another place first.

Starkville, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We made the bad decision of driving to Tampa without reserving a decent hotel room prior. Everywhere was full, so when we arrived here and found vacancy we were relieved. The guy at the front was a little too friendly and mentioned he could see the shape of my breasts through my shirt. His name was Tom George. Tired and ready to put our heads down we rolled our luggage to the room. We walked in and first noticed the smell resembled that of a strip joint. The room was filthy. The toilet possibly had never been cleaned and had things growing in it. Before pulling back the comforter on the bed I noticed something gold and shining on top of the pillow. This was not a complimentary mint. But a condom wrapper. We immediately called down to the front desk, where Tom George so graciously offered us a new room. The new room was not much better. Stunk, dirty, broken furniture, and brown water stains all over the curtains. The sheets had dirt and hair on them. We finally just stripped comforter and top sheet off the bed and slept fully clothed using our jackets for covers. Please, heed my warning. DO NOT STAY HERE.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

The room I was in the roof was leaking and dripping all night. In fact the carpet was wet from the drip! That is ridiculous we reserved the room for three and had two towels. Website said hair dryer,coffee maker and iron...we had non of these... Also, two of the lights In the room did not work and the lights in hallway were out!!! Horrible place.. Should be condemned

Ludowici, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I am retired military and I can deal with a lot but the TVs, although old, should have given me what i wanted to see. It seems to me that this is a Hotel with a right wing agenda when all I get for news is Fox and I could not access CNN or HLN. I am an online student and could not adequately access my classes. Your WIFI is too week and I wish I had direct connect. The bathroom toilet had noises what seems like when someone else flushed I could here it ALL NIGHT LONG. The heating and AC unit made so much noise, it was a great distraction. I know I am in a dog made room but my dog didn't even want to lay on the couch. Lastly, someone left a book so that the curtain would not be open. That is crass. I will return to Tampa and would spend a little extra for minimal comfort and adequate communication settings.

Room Tip: Stay with friends
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I left there yesterday,the place smells buzz and cigarettes, very bad location, its a bums place ,roaches in the guest room, you have to pay for ice , they wldnt let me stay in the Lobby till my shuttle come to pick me up they kicked me out and told me to pay if I need to wait in there for my shuttle to the airport !! What kind of hotel is that?? Be aware folks Stay away!!!

• Stayed February 2014
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

As soon as you pull in there are security guards outside ...need I say more. After sprinting to the room so I don't get mugged the first thing I smell is cigarettes in a nonsmoking room. After a long day in the sun I wanted a nice warm shower but I wanted to wear shoes because the floor was so dirty. There was dried up throw up on the curtain to the shower. There was pee left on the toilet seat. There was no conditioner bottles. There was blood on the sheets. I slept with my hoodie on and without any blankets. Don't come. I would rather sleep in my car but I'm too scared to leave the room. Stay away

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Rodeway Inn Tampa? Share your experiences!