“$5 Day and the Ropes Course Staff! *MANAGERS READ THIS!*” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 89 attractions in Tampa
Type: Science Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Explore a World of Possibilities at Tampa’s Museum of Science & Industry with more than 450 hands-on activities, plus Florida’s only IMAX® DOME Theatre, five-stories-tall and offering a higher resolution than any other theater in Tampa; It is more than a movie, it is an experience. Brave extreme weather conditions inside Disasterville, featuring Bay News 9 WeatherQuest, and explore the stages of life in The Amazing You exhibition. Gaze into the starry night sky in MOSI’s Saunders Planetarium, and don’t miss exploring the outdoors in the BioWorks Butterfly Garden and MOSI Backwoods. Kids get to run the show at MOSI’s Kids In Charge!, the largest children’s science center in nation, while kids of all ages get a rush from MOSI’s Sky Trail® Ropes Course and Zip Line.
Tampa, Florida
“$5 Day and the Ropes Course Staff! *MANAGERS READ THIS!*”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Do not let the rating fool you all... First I want to say I know that $5 days are busy in places like this however... I felt so bad for the staff, they were all horribly over whelmed! I have been to the Zoo's $6 dollar day and I have been to a $5 day here at MOSI like 2 years ago? All I know is they were building the rope course then.

I didn't mind the crowds as again I knew it would be busy but what I saw as far as staff was just awful! Now the staff I talked to were VERY nice and friendly, I could tell they were enjoying the small break I gave them by conversing. ARE THERE NO MANAGERS TO HELP THESE KIDS AND OR YOUNG ADULTS!? Are you guys even DOING YOUR JOB!? Or are you sitting in your offices twiddling your thumbs laughing at your workers expense?

When I got to Kids in Charge I was tempted to help the poor girl myself at the snack stand! People were getting mad at her because she couldn't hep them all at once... SHE IS ONE GIRL! Her name was Christina by the way, and though she was sweet I could tell she was near tears.
Why couldn't the woman HOLDING THE DOOR OPEN WHILE TEXTING ON HER PHONE HELP THIS POOR GIRL!? If MOSI needs this much help why not hire more people or advertise their volunteer program more?

After we saw our planetarium show done by Amy who even told us this was her first $5 day and she is new she WAS AMAZING that girl was nice, calm and very informative KUDOS to those that trained her! Who ever did I would like to come back one day and shake your hand!

Now for the ONLY reason this got a 3 rating.

Your Rope Course staff was by FAR the best of all. My son wanted to do the rope course and so we went. The line was HUGE but moved VERY fast, I was surprised by this and once we got to the desk we were greeted by a girl Mel. I asked her "How did you get that line down so fast?!"
She said that she is use to the busy days and that she enjoys them. We had not bought tickets but explained that we could there with cash and explained in FULL detail how the ropes works.

$17 if you have admission which I gotta admit it very high of an up charge but since it was only $15 for my husband, son and I I didn't mind. After we paid she went to put the wrist band on my 9 year old son Jason. Mel noticed his Sonic the Hedgehog shirt and got excited. She was telling him how she grew up watching his cartoons and playing his old games on the Sega. She also told him "Just because you're climbing the rope course wearing a Sonic shirt doesn't mean you gotta go fast" Gotta go Fast is like Sonic's catchphrase.

After we left Mel we were met by Christina and Jason both of which were very nice and friendly. After about 30 minutes I noticed Mel got another big line but this one was real big. I don't know who he is but another employee came up to her and she asked for help if possible. No on came... She again cleared the line and people were yelling at her and giving her attitudes and they carried those rotten moods over to the Blue shirt rope staff. Which infuriated me since they had been so nice to use and everyone else.

So I went back to talk with Mel, she didn't seemed phased by it at all. I asked her how long has she worked at MOSI ,just to make small talk. She told me she was a volunteer first but that this October will make 6 years if you count her volunteer time. Since it was slow I hung out at the desk with her for a bit. I had to ask what her name was since her tag said Mel she replied Melanie and I laughed since mine is Mellissa. I won't go into everything I talked to her about because I'd be here all day. Something just made me speak to her, I suppose it's because I could tell we had alot in common.

So MOSI managers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Give this hard working girl what she deserves. Lemme tell you I can tell you that Mel, the rope staff, and that Poor girl at Kids In Charge deserve more than what they get. I don't know how you run things there but you have an amazing staff *the ones I met* and myself if I was at work and asked for help I'd get it! You need to figure something out because you have some hard workers.

My husband Mike, and I would LOVE to talk further and in more detail via email if possible!
If you have an email I can reach you at please let me know! Also Mel if you read this I hope you are having a lovely day and I will be bringing my son back to do the ropes either Saturday or Sunday I hope you're there, he wants to show you his Sonic action figures lol

Visited September 2013
MOSI_Tampa, Manager at Museum of Science and Industry, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time for your thoughtful feedback on your recent visit to MOSI. I was sorry to read your observations and I would very much like to talk with you further about your experience here at MOSI. I have listed my contact information below.

As you mentioned, our $5 Days are often the busiest of the season. As a non-profit, MOSI hosts several $5 Days each year to allow community members of all incomes access to its exhibit galleries and IMAX Dome Theatre. We actually have an "all hands on deck" policy for our $5 Days which means everyone was on the floor on Saturday helping, including managers.

I’m very happy to hear that our staffers at the Ropes Course and other areas delivered excellent customer service. I completely agree with you that our staff is amazing. I have already forwarded your comments to Mel’s, Jason’s and Christina’s supervisors. Thank you again for your feedback and comments, and I hope to talk with you further about your experiences here on Saturday.

Tanya Vomacka
Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Relations
813-987-6334
tanyav@mosi.org

Lanarkshire
25 attraction reviews
“Not for adults”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

As regular visitors to the Glasgow, Scotland Science Museum, we looked forward to a comparable visit but were disappointed. Firstly, the aircon is absolutely freezing! Even though the outside temp was in the high 80s, inside it's positively polar. Take a fleece or sweater. We sat through the Imax theatre movie Great White Shark, which we enjoyed. The theatre, however, was littered with popcorn. Then we went to the planetarium where there was a presentation by a young man whom we could barely understand. A very mediocre coffee shop where we had a hot drink to warm us up. We paid $45 including $5 for parking. Very overpriced. Very disappointing. Maybe our grandsons would have enjoyed this but not a lot for adults.

21 attraction reviews
“Geared to children”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Admission is pretty pricey, considering. On a normal visit, I feel as though a lot of the equipment is geared to children, and some of it doesn't work. If you go when there's something "special" going on, it may be worth it, depending. For instance, there was a body cadaver exhibit that was very interesting. You can purchase food there, but again, pretty pricey. And there's an IMAX theatre there, which was a unique experience.

Visited October 2012
“MOSI tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

visiting my friends in Tampa we was searching for something to do in a cloudy day "indoor activity" we ended in the MOSI this morning and it was a very disappointing experience it may be interesting for age 8-14 only,However its expensive and most of the monitors and equipments are not working, the idea behind is good and It would have been a little bit better if all the stuff are working.

Visited September 2013
Shannon H, Manager at Museum of Science and Industry, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your visit to MOSI. We really appreciate you letting us know that you had some issues, and I am so sorry for the inconveniences and problems you experienced. As a hands-on, interactive museum, MOSI’s exhibits take on a lot of wear and tear every day, but keeping our museum maintained and beautiful is one of our top priorities. If you could let me know specifically which exhibits you had problems with, we can get our exhibits team working on the repair as soon as possible. Email contact.us@mosi.org or you can call me at 813-987-6080, and I will do everything I can to make it right.

Thank you again for your comments and for your visit to MOSI.

Shannon Herbon
Communications Manager
edmonton
“MOSi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I like that it is so close to our home, our family can visit the museum whenever we want if it is too hot to go to the beach. Love their hands on displays and playground outside. My son enjoyed being here.

Visited August 2013