“Weekend Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Orlando, United States
“Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Great hotel for a getaway for two. Each suite has a kitchette to prepare breakfast in bed or enjoy the complementary breakfast in the lobby. Nice firepit to enjoy as you sip on drinks at the manager's recption. We didn't visit the pool, but others seemed to be enjoying themselves as we looked from our room window. The location was ok, right off I-275, easy to get to downtown and the Westshore mall. Very close to the airport, but not too noisey. Staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Patsy P, General Manager at Homewood Suites Tampa Airport - Westshore, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Andrea,

Yes location is key here at the Homewood, across from the best mall in Tampa! I will share the nice comments you shared about our staff.

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have been here twice for a total of 8 nights at this hotel. Both stays were great- staff was friendly and helpful, and it's really awesome that there is a complimentary dinner, wine, and beer Mon-Thurs evenings. Food is average (there have been a few meals that I really liked and you can usually count on having a salad bar), but since it's complimentary I really can't complain.

Some minor things- my remote stopped working at one point, and they had run out of batteries at the front desk. Ultimately, I accompanied one of the staff to a room that was undergoing renovations and switched remotes. My chair on my second stay did not roll very well, but was a minor inconvenience.

I liked the layout of the room on my first stay more than my second stay. On my first stay, I had a King bed- the living room and the bedroom were separated and there were two tvs. There wasn't as much room to move around, but I was able to relax in either rooms. On my second stay, the two rooms were combined instead with a single tv- the bed and the sofa were on two opposite sides, which I personally didn't like. If I decided to use the sofa area, I'd have to move the TV, and again if I wanted to watch TV from my bed.

One complaint was that on my first stay, I could smell smoking in the bedroom/bathroom (I was on the 5th floor- smoking rooms are on the 3rd) even though I was in a nonsmoking room. I was told this was due to their air/venting system. After turning on the fan in the bathroom, the smell cleared away but it was not something I liked. I did not have this problem on my second stay.

I had a hard time getting the temperature just right with the AC on both stays, but I believe they were working on maintenance with all air conditioning units at the end of September/early October. On my second stay, I also had a hard time staying connected to the hotel's wifi, but I am not sure whether to blame to iOS 7 update or the different room because I don't remember having a problem on my first stay. I did not have any wifi connectivity problems on my laptop.

I loved having free coffee/tea 24/7, but I was a little bit disappointed because their hot water was not that hot (just warm). If you drink tea like I do, I'd recommend heating up tap water in the microwave (the coffeemaker will just give you coffee-flavored water).

Overall, the complaints I've had can definitely be overlooked because there are ways to work around them. I definitely recommend staying here if the above listed don't bother you. It's also really close to the airport so if you have an early flight, it's definitely the optimal place to stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear elleodee,

I always like to hear from my guest and I appreciate you taking the time!

Thanks!

Springfield, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

this is the best hotel staff I have ever met. I stayed for multiple months and they took care of my family and I as if we were life long friends. They even made special dessert for my 5 year olds birthday. Amazing. Stay with them and you will enjoy your time in Tampa

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Walter,

WOW my team made your 5 year old a special dessert! Yes empowerment is a good thing.

Thanks!

Raleigh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel was well maintained and staff were pleasant, but I was disappointed that my room was not cleaned either of the 2 days I was there. I could understand missing one day, but 2 days in a row was pretty disappointing. I complained to the manager, Patsy, who seemed helpful, but as soon as I checked out, she was no longer interested in following up with me. I did follow up with Hilton Customer Service and they were very responsive. I stay at a lot of Hilton properties each year so I have come to expect a certain level of service. Would have given this property 4 stars, but because of the cleaning issue, I can't give them more than a 3.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear DRSJW7,

I just sent you a personal message. So sorry I did not get back to you? I do not recall what happen.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My family recently stayed for 19 days at the Homewood Suites in Avion Park after moving to Tampa. It is a great location - close to the airport, downtown and the beaches. Homewood is an excellent value with the free airport shuttle, free breakfast and free WIFI. The staff is professional and helpful. Of all the staff, Matthew Gendreau made a big impression on my family. Very professional and helpful, above and beyond the normal expectations. He is an outstanding example of what makes Hilton branded hotels my first choice when traveling. I often stay at Homewood suites when I travel for work and it is because of all the conveniences they offer at such a competitive rate. Highly recommend this hotel-especially for extended stays.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kendall W, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites Tampa Airport - Westshore, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your hotel experience and recognizing Matthew. He is a great asset to the Front Desk department. I'm know he will be delighted to hear your comments and will be sure to share them with the team. Thank you again and hope to see you again.
Birmingham, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The whole experience was great, the room was clean and love the over head fan. The bed was very comfortable and there was no noise. The breakfast was good and there was always plenty of coffee. Love the fact that it feels like an apartment

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Martha,

Great to hear you felt at home! See you soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Outstanding stay/tremendous staff! First, the staff is amazing and Kendall sets the tone. She constantly has a smile and is very much a professional. She represents Hilton at the highest level and is the epitome of a team player. I don't know what her salary is, but I can only imagine she performs well above it. I saw her when I was retiring for the day and when I was heading out the door for work. Does she sleep? I would clone here is you could. Kendall, a BIG THANK YOU! The front desk: Matthew, Mary, Hollie, Samantha, and Srecko...you made my day every day! Seriously! After a long day's work and entering the door, it was always a "Welcome home, Mr. Powell." If I had an issue with my room, it was quickly resolved. If I has a general inquiry, they would go above and beyond answering my issue. When problems arose with troublesome guests (yes, rude guests), I would sit back and watch these potential problems be remedied with a professional tone and solution-based response. In fact, Matthew should be praised for many of the issues he resolved on Hilton's behalf. He was always a gentleman and was a positive face for the chain. When presented with the opportunity, he will excel in any capacity Hilton challenges him with. Front desk, a BIG THANK YOU! And not to forget about the Dream Team breakfast/dinner crew. How could you? Nicey, Deanna, Jean, and Jaimee: You all are awesome! The food was always hot, delicious, and plentiful. It was always nice to see Deanna's smiling face and experiencing her humble demeanor. She has a great appreciation for the military and we have a GREAT appreciation for her. Nicey, I'll never forget your big smile and you desire to serve. You also are a great company asset and will move quickly in any organization you serve. Thank you for the morning I was in a hurry and you greeted me with a Ziploc bag of fresh, hot muffins as I quickly exited the hotel. They were awesome! Your kindness was better than that. Keep smiling! Nicey, Deanna, Jean, and Jaimee: A BIG THANK YOU! Lastly, if I'm ever back in the Tampa area, this is my hotel of choice. I feel as if I left family there. Thanks again!
John Powell

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mr. Powell,

Wow!!! Thank you for taking the time to recognize our team for all of their hard work and efforts. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team during our weekly huddle. It was a pleasure to have you with us and hope to see you again.

Been to Homewood Suites Tampa Airport - Westshore? Share your experiences!