“Very disappointing surprise” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Boca Grande, Florida
“Very disappointing surprise”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We selected this hotel because they said on the Internet that they welcomed pets. They did welcome our 7-pound cat, but insisted we sign a "Pet Lodging Agreement" by which we had to agree to a non-refundable cleaning fee of $100. For our one night stay! Based on our travels, the fee is exorbitant and unprecedented. (Must have rubbed off from the nearby airlines?)

The room, best described as "compact," was not shabby, but it was not special in any way and it looked like it could use a good $100 cleaning.

We would have given the place a three rating (or maybe a four, due entirely to the gracious lady at the desk), if it had not been for the surprise fee, which made us verify that the complimentary breakfast, internet and shuttle were in fact free.

Stay here if you are not troubled by surprises.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHWSTAMPA, General Manager at Homewood Suites Tampa Airport - Westshore, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your time providing feedback on our hotel. I apologize that it was not communicated to you that we do have a nonrefundable pet fee. It is our policy that all suites are professionally cleaned by an outside company after a pet has occupied the suite. This is so future guests are not inconvenienced with any detection of the previous guest. I hope this does not deter you from using our hotel again. Thank you again for your feedback and I will make sure my staff always knows to inform our guests of our procedures and their cost.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel two times in the past month and I have personally had a mixed bag experience. Here’s some of the things that I liked and didn’t like:

Pros:
-The hotel is fairly new so everything is in working order and the elevators are really fast
-The front desk staff is efficient and friendly
-The fitness center, by Homewood Suites standards, is very well equipped and includes a scale, which is a nice added touch.
-Shuttle service is quick and efficient (provided by A-1 Express, I believe)
-There are laundry facilities (2 washers and 2 dryers) on the 4th floor and are very reasonably priced at $1 for washing and $1 for drying
-The dinners and breakfasts provided were pretty good, by Homewood standards

Cons:
-The housekeeping staff is the worst. They do not replace the tissue box when it runs out, do not replace sheets on a daily basis, do not leave dishwasher detergent (and subsequently don’t run the dishes in your dishwasher for you), and do not replace burned out light bulbs. It was frustrating to be constantly calling the front desk to resolve these problems. I would hesitate staying here again until this is resolved.

-Parking is a little inconvenient because you have to park in the garage next door to the hotel. If you are lucky, you might be able to snag one of the parking spots along the fence on the west end of the hotel.

Room Tip: 4th floor has laundry facilities, 2nd floor has the fitness center
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your time providing feedback on our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and look forward to your next visit to earn your respect. Thanks again for your time.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We liked this hotel very much. The shuttle to and from the airport was very helpful. They picked us up one minute after calling and the scheduled pick up at the hotel was on time. Make sure you let them know at the desk what shuttle you will be taking.
On some week days, aside from the breakfast, they have a light dinner free of charge that includes white and red wine. There was a nice salad bar and soup and bread. We didn't realize they offered this until we went down to the lobby about 6 pm so ask about it when you arrive.
We reserved a 1 bedroom but on arrival they said they would upgrade us to a 2 bedroom which we thought was very nice but we opted to take the one bedroom that was ready. (We arrived in the morning.)
The kitchen had granite counters and was equipped with things like paper towels that I really appreciated. The rooms were very nice, clean, good size with small full length mirrored closet. Nice couch with tables in living space and comfortable bed. They had free wifi. We would go back next time in Tampa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your time providing feedback on our hotel. I am pleased you were happy with your stay and look forward to your next visit. Come back and see us soon!
orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My boyfriend booked a 2 bedroom suite for us and my father since we were going to the Eagles Vs. Bucs game on Sun Dec 9 , 2012. Once we arrived the hotel appeared very clean in the lobby and halls, but our room was a different story. This could have just been an isolated event but none the less my boyfriend was upset. Whoever did the housekeeping did not do a good job. There was a old box of hotel soap that had been opened and looked slightly used placed on top of the towels. There was a football that was left behind placed on the bed instead of being removed from the room. The dishwashing soap bottle had not been replenished nor the stove and refrigerator had not been wiped down. There was hair all over in the shower in the other room and the floors had not been vacumed. One of the toilet was making a loud rattling noise when you flushed it. The next day after returning from the game only one of the bedrooms had been spot cleaned and the beds made up. The master bedroom had not been touched except for fresh towels put it in. We had to call down to get fresh sheets put on the bed and the toilet in the 2nd bedroom was making a loud noise like metal was clanking together. The guy who came up was very friendly and apologized on behalf of whoever the housekeeper was. Our stay wasn't that bad but it was troublesome enough that I don't think we would stay there again.A plus is all the staff I encountered were very friendly and being 5mins from the airport is a good thing since my boyfriend had to fly back to Philly at 6:30AM.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GMHWSTAMPA, General Manager at Homewood Suites Tampa Airport - Westshore, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post information on our hotel. I apologize for the unfortunate situation regarding the cleaning of your two bedroom suite. I will look into more details with that paticular situation and work with my team to prevent this from happening again in the future. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest quality service to all our guests! Happy Holidays!
Sarasota, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We've often stayed at the Tampa Marriott at the airport if we have an early flight from TPA. We found the Homewood Suites to be just as convenient at half the price. And we were 300 yards away form the International Mall and all the nicer restaurants available there. Definately will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for all your comments on Tripadvisor! Im glad you are happy with our location as well as the value for your money. Come back and see us soon. Happy Holidays!
Gainesville, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed here one night for work. Hotel is off a road in a 4plex with another Hilton and 2 Marriotts. The Homewood Suites seems fairly new, has a nice pool and lobby area. Hotel is centrally located in the west side of Tampa. Can get to the airport in 5 minutes but you don't hear any jet noise. 2 minute drive to the International Plaza Mall & restaurants, 5 minutes to the Westshore Mall. Can get downtown in less than 10 minutes even during morning rush. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to your next trip to Tampa. Happy Holidays!
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We only stayed one night as we were in Tampa for a getaway and to work towards continued Hilton Honors Gold status in 2013. The room was a very nice, SMALL suite with kitchen/living room combo in one room and bed and bath on other side of door. Everything was clean and seemed very new. Another positive was the front desk lady at check-in. The hotel was also quiet, but that was due to the fact that it was mostly empty. Each room had its own television although neither was extra large. There were about 45 channels, and reception was good.

Now for the negatives:
1) Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and, of course, the most important as well. I was happy to see that a hot breakfast was advertised. There were pictures in the elevator of moist, tasty looking, fresh-made scrambled eggs although I prefer over medium. We went down with my stomach in anticipation of at least a decent breakfast with either bacon or sausage or both, and what did we find? Two metal containers with two items each. One had plain mass produced scrambled eggs and the other side had mass produced scrambled eggs with something nauseating mixed in. Both look dried out! The other had mushy potatoes on one side and greasy, fatty, nasty-looking fried chicken pieces on the other. I was not happy. I made some comments, and others agreed that the chicken looking mixture was nasty. I complained at the front desk since no one was around the breakfast area, and, I think, she offered to have them make something else, but I was already too upset to eat so I returned to my room without breakfast and had the coffee that was in the room. This ruined my morning and put this motel off my list of any future stay. If you advertise a hot breakfast, give the people something traditional that they want and deserve.
2)We were there on a Friday night so no manager’s reception. This may have been a blessing after seeing their attempt at a “hot breakfast”. The menu was on the refrigerator in the room and looked like a junior high school lunch menu before health was a factor. I guess that’s why they have beer and wine (not sure if there are other spirits), but you would need something to wash down a heartburn nightmare.
3)Parking-you could either park in a garage with about a hundred other cars parked by people who leave their car there while they fly in the Park & Fly special-they claimed there was security at night, but it still looked dark. There were about 10 spots between the pool and a chain linked fence enclosed area with dozens of cars, probably also belonging to those who were flying. We parked by the fence. I am writing this before we check out, but the car looks ok since I can see it from my window, which leads to #4.
4)The view from window would be lovely with the bay in the distance, but there are many lanes of highway (the Veterans, I think) that block the view. Looking down, you see a small pool, the 10 or so cars by the fence, including mine, and those inside the chain linked fence. (This is not the hotel’s fault but adds to list)
5)The free shuttle-this is shared with the Hilton Garden Inn next door. It was not marked with either hotel as far as we could tell. I drove my friend to the International Mall and left him to take the shuttle back, but he never saw one for the Hilton Garden of the Homewood Suites, even though he was at the spot listed and waited 15 minutes around the pick up time stated on the paper they have at the front desk. Most hotels that have shuttles put the hotel's name on the side and have them parked near the door or continuously making trips. There were times posted for trips to the 2 nearby malls. I’m not sure what you do about pickup and dropoff times if you’re going to the airport since no times were posted! It seems that this has been outsourced. Maybe they’re driving people around Bombay!
6)We were supposedly upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite, but the overall square footage was less than a standard room I’ve had at Crowne Plaza. It was cookie cutter design. The bedroom barely fit the king sized bed (about a foot on each side with end tables squeezed in between bed and wall). There weren’t enough outlets either so one of the lamps had to be unplugged. The bathroom had a shower/tub combo, but the tub was very slippery-needs safety strips or something. The living room area was cramped as well. It would have done better as a studio suite with the wall removed between the two rooms. The kitchen was nice with plates and utensils, but there were some extra touches missing like a restocked, rather than quarter full, small plastic bottle of dish washer soap. (only enough to wash one or two spoons). We didn’t use stove. Ice maker was nice to have but was loud when ice dropped. I did enjoy the microwave popcorn!
In summary, I was not impressed with my first stay at a Homewood Suite. I am giving it a 2 since there were at least a very few bright spots. I had no issues with smokers, but in 2012, the whole hotel should be smoke-free (they said that the smoking rooms were on the 3rd floor). Due to the lack of guests, I assume that they put out their least impressive breakfast. To be honest, the breakfast offering often makes or breaks my overall impression. If I’m not expecting anything, then I’m not disappointed, but this place built up my expectations for a great, “hot breakfast” and provided chicken fingers!

Room Tip: Plan to skip breakfast if you want more than coffee and toast!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHWSTAMPA, General Manager at Homewood Suites Tampa Airport - Westshore, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your valuable time providing us with your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was below your expectation. I too am a breakfast lover and I feel terrible that your were so unsatisfied. This information will be shared with my staff and addressed immediately. I am committed to providing excellent service and accommodations to all our guests. Please let me know when you will be coming back to the Tampa area so we can earn your business back. Have a great day!

Been to Homewood Suites Tampa Airport - Westshore? Share your experiences!