“Enjoyable stay despite the tropical storm nearby” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #32 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida
“Enjoyable stay despite the tropical storm nearby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Date of stay: June 23, 2012-1 night in Room #237
We drove from Orlando for one night since I needed one night to complete my Priority Club 2nd quarter 5000 point bonus reward offer. I had originally booked at the Intercontinental, where I stayed twice for 3 nights altogether in February (one of the rare times that I never wrote a review but will one day). I had a rate of $139, which included a $25 AMEX gift card but nothing else so basically $114 although I would have received an automatic upgrade, a fruit basket, and some bottled water because of my Platinum Ambassador status. About 3 weeks prior to my stay, I emailed Melissa Golub, who had been responding to reviews at this Crowne Plaza hotel and asked her to tell me why I should choose her hotel over the Intercontinental. On June 19, I checked the rates and saw that I could stay at the CP for $104 and receive breakfast for two so I decided to cancel my IC reservation and book at CP, even though I had received no response. The next day, she replied to my email and apologized for the delay and explained she had been on vacation. She offered me a rate slightly lower for the same package so I emailed her and told her that I had booked the day before. She responded quickly and gave me her better rate and offered me a Cabana suite. I accepted her offer. She also mentioned that I would receive one cocktail and one bottled water per person because of my Platinum status. When I arrived, she had also left a handwritten note plus her cell phone number, in case I experienced any major problems. What professional and caring service!
We arrived just after 1 pm and were warmly greeted. My Platinum status was recognized, and I received my room keys, breakfast coupons, and 2 complimentary cocktails because of my Priority status, as mentioned earlier. The water was waiting in the room with Melissa’s note. The Cabana suite rooms are in a separate 3 story area by the pool. The main hotel is about 10 stories tall although I only went to the 4th floor to get ice. This is one of my minor complaints-no ice machine in the Cabana area so you either have to go to the bar or to the machines on the 4th-10th floors. When I asked the housekeeper where the nearest machine was, she did offer to get it for me, but I said no. What over and beyond service! There were some other minor concerns-horrible music playing by the poolside even though it was raining as Tropical Storm Debbie was nearby. This could be heard very easily in the front, living room area of the cabana suite. It did go off at 9pm, and again, another great reaction by the staff, when I asked about 8 pm, they said they could turn it down, but I said, “that’s ok” since they mentioned the 9 pm turn off. One other minor issue was that when I stepped in the shower, the mold/mildew smell was overwhelming, but once the water started, it disappeared. They probably need to take the cap off and wipe or pour bleach or vinegar down the drain. Nothing major and no where near as bad as at the Holiday Inn in Sydney, Australia, two years ago when the smell lingered the whole stay. As I was leaving, it was raining and someone was sitting by the 2nd floor entrance to the elevator area and was smoking. Due to the rain, there was no was to go around him so I had to use steps, which are just partially protected from the weather when the wind is blowing. Smokers should be banned from anywhere with 25 yards (or miles) of the hotel!
The first room had a sectional sofa (leather, which was sticky to hot skin but understood for a cabana suite where people go after swimming), a chair, a table, a large screen tv with computer access (this was not free like wifi). The free wifi worked great, and they gave me an access code at check-in so only positive words there. There was also another table, a sink, and two closets, one of which has a refrigerator and a microwave. There was a short hall to the bedroom area. The bathroom was on the left and had a sink with many wonderful amenities and a rain shower. A tub may have been nice, but the shower was fantastic. The bedroom had a king sized bed plus an armoire with another tv, which was slightly smaller than the one in the living room. There was a closet with hangers. The annoying music from the pool could not be heard in the back bedroom. There was a small high window near the ceiling for exterior light but not much more. The air was controlled from the bedroom and was more easily cooled than the living room area. Separate thermostats would have been wise. One bigger negative was the lack of a safe. This should be a standard in a hotel that is used for business travelers and especially in the highest level rooms! Also, the tv channel selection needs upgrading-about 25 channels but many missing signals and many more potential ones not even offered.
The staff at the Mojito were very friendly when we went for our free cocktails. The coupon was for wine, beer, or well drink. Tanqueray was the well gin. How could you beat that? When I decided to consider booking there on June 19 as I mentioned earlier, I called the hotel directly to inquire about breakfast and parking. They had valet parking, but also free self service, and there were no issues. The nice, enthusiastic lady who answered my call on June 19 described the breakfast buffet as “extensive”. Not really sure where she got that idea. It was better than Holiday Inn Express since there were two hot meats, sausage patties and bacon, but there was no cheese, cold cuts, etc. The service was superb, but one had to ask for juices, coffee, etc. Other than the bacon and sausage, there were waffles (already made) and hot syrup plus mass produced scrambled eggs. I am not sure if it’s standard, but I did ask for and received 3 over medium eggs. This made the situation awkward since I wasn’t 100% sure if they would try to charge me for those 3 eggs even though I had asked the female server who implied that there would be no extra charge. I thought the male server may bring over a bill, but no one did so finally, I got up and just handed them my two coupons. If they had come over to get them, I would have left a tip, but due to the uncertainty and my having to make the effort, I chose not to leave anything. “Extensive” as the lady who answered the phone stated would have implied an omelet station and an offer for made to order egg dishes. I also was told on the phone that I could have either the buffet or order off the menu. I was told very abruptly by one of the male waiters/seaters that my coupon did not entitle me to the menu. There were many breads and a toaster wheel. There was some fresh fruit, but the oranges were very seedy and had lots of hard inedible sectional pieces. They also had yogurt and assorted cereals.
Checkout was smooth and quick. The statement left in my door included a request to post a review on TripAdvisor, but I most always do that anyway. That has happened to me twice, and both times I wondered if they did it because of my status and the perception that I would write a good review because of my attitude and smile. This hotel deserved a great rating so I am going to be honest even if there was a solicitation for a review!
In comparing the IC to the CP, it would depend on the rates at any given date plus my needs and travel reasons so both are top notch and will both receive my future business. To sum up, I had a great stay. I am very picky and write detailed reviews as anyone knows who has read my 100+ reviews on TripAdvisor. Holiday Inn and others should hire me to travel the world and review their hotels and restaurants anonymously! I do point out the few flaws, but I also try to point out the extras. This hotel and the IC both deserve top rankings for their service and accommodations!

Room Tip: Attain Platinum status and you will get the rewards you've earned
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed at this property in late May. My flight from D.C. had been delayed and upon arrival to the airport I called for a shuttle. Was informed that it would be 10-20 minutes, but the driver came much quicker. He was a young guy, very pleasant and professional.

Upon arrival, I was greeted and told my room was ready. The room was absolutely perfect. After spending the previous week traveling for work, this was the last leg of the business trip and I couldn't have asked for a better room. It was clean and spotless, with all the amenities one could ask for. There is a restaurant and bar at the hotel and a pleasant seating area outside to relax and unwind.

Wanting to get dinner one night, the desk clerk was kind enough to actually leave her post as the driver was out and take me to the nearby mall with restaurants and a movie theater. The actions of her earned this property an excellent rating.

I would highly recommend this property even though it is a way from downtown and the convention center.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This was an enjoyable stay. I stayed here for four nights 06/06 - 06/10 and had a very good stay. Except for a couple things.

Overall, the bed was very comfortable, the room was very spacious, and I found the temperature control and water pressure in the bathroom to be awesome. These are probably the four most important comforts I look for in a hotel. The room was relatively clean, but I did have to wipe off the glass desk top before I started to work.

I didn't have the opportunity to use the pool, but the food was excellent, and I found the bar, Mojito's to be a comfortable place to relax and watch some soccer.

The location is excellent for any business at or around the airport. I attended the US Soccer game at Raymond James Stadium, and it was wicked easy to get to and from.

The bad: The previously mentioned desk top. The first day, my room was made up in impeccable condition, and it looked great. The second day, the attention to detail wasn't quite there. Just little things like a fresh toilet paper roll when it was obvious that the one on the roll had about 10 sheets left, or recognizing that I used all three bath towels, but only leaving two fresh ones. In the curio under the TV, I'm not sure if there used to be a mini fridge, or shelving, but regardless, it was a big empty space that looked like someone had damaged it some time ago and it had never been fixed.
Day three (Friday 6/8), I didn't leave my room until about noon and had the do not disturb sign on until I left. I returned to my room around two, but left shortly thereafter for the soccer game and didn't return until 10:45p. There was no housekeeping service that day. That was really disappointing as it had been pouring at the game and I needed the towels to help get my clothes dry along with the blow dryer.
Worst thing about my stay: Saturday night, I returned to the hotel around midnight as I had to get up around seven am for my flight. Well, there was some sort of band/party at Mojito's, and they were enjoying themselves. I was on floor five and could hear the words, music, and the bass beat loud and clear. Around 1:30a, I called the front desk and was informed that it was scheduled to end at 2:30a. #awesome
I believe that a place like the Crowne Plaza is a hotel, and thus designed for people to stay, and primarily sleep at night. I am disappointed that the hotel felt that he revenue stream provided by allowing the party was more important than the comfort and well being of the guests who paid money to stay there (theoretically, relying on the Crowne Plaza brand as a guide to comfort).

Would I stay here again? Maybe. I would certainly call the hotel first to see if they had anything like this going on. I don't know how high I had to go to get away from the noise on Sat. night, but I can assure you that the fifth floor wasn't high enough!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to escape the noise of the nightclub.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear ifontaine,

We want to thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such important information about your recent stay. We are truly pleased to read that your overall stay was enjoyable. I am very sorry that it was negatively affected by the noise from the other guests at the bar. I have taken note of your comments regarding housekeeping, this will certainly be looked into. Thank you so much for your feedback as this helps us in improving our guest services.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Hosted a business meeting at this property in March 2012. The staff was helpful and professional in assisting with our every need from beginning to end. The complimentary airport shuttle was a major plus for my group as many were out of town guests.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Fort Myers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Just returned from a business tip to Tampa and stayed here. Check-in staff was exteremly friendly and helpful with great information to share about the area. Room was very clean and had an ultra modern decor with a great view from the floor I was on. Also the pool area looked very nice although we didn't have time to enjoy, Misty at the bar was very nice and took good care of us. I will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper nfloor with view of the bay.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed one night before our cruise. Really liked the courtesy shuttle - they picked us up at the airport; drove us to restaurants, church, liquor store and back again. Shuttle drivers were great - all staff were very gracious. We used the business center to print out more cruise ship luggage tags and stapled to luggage. The hotel shuttle doesn't go to the cruise terminal but they arranged for a commercial shuttle -$10.00 @. The hotel is very nice and an easy walk to a nice mall. All in all a good pre-cruise stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San José, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Having stayed at this hotel several times for business reasons, I have experienced different rooms. My favorites are the corner rooms on the 11th floor. Traffic noise is low and the view of the Tampa bay is fantastic, makes waking up in the morning a real pleasure. Service is friendly and efficient, the new Mojitos watering hole works just fine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore? Share your experiences!