“Good for business” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 159 hotels in Tampa
DeLand, Florida
“Good for business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

This hotel located on a causeway has great water views on its east side. The decor is contemporary but already showing some wear and the finishes may look high end but aren't as evidenced by doors that won't shut lack of sheers behind the drapes , not quite comfy bed, etc . Hvac worked well though and the large floor to ceiling window was nice. View of the terrace with one lone tiny table and sad potted plants was a distraction . We stayed one night in a suite on the 9th floor. Personnel were very friendly and service w as quite good. Toiletries were a bit above average. We had a complimentary breakfast with our package in the Aqua Grill. Eggs benedict was nicely done. Good coffee. There's a Starbucks, pool and workout room on site. There are concierge levels I did not see and many meeting rooms. To earn another star they'll have to paint the marks on walls, fix the wrinkled carpets and tears in the upholstery , up the towels and mattress top,and use better toiletries. Decorating that patio would help too.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Luxurytraveler100,

Allow me this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share both your compliments and concerns regarding your recent visit with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed and appreciated certain aspects of your stay. However it appears that we fell short in some others. Those areas have been addressed and thanks to your feedback we will be able to make the necessary corrections. Although we strive to be perfect in every aspect of our goal to provide personal and instinctive service for every guest there are times when do not meet all expectations. Please accept my apologies for any area where you may have been underwhelmed and hopefully you will give us another chance.
Be well,

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This hotel has everything you want. Great location and nice views of the bay. Valet service is available. Check in was so easy. Starbucks and a great restaurant called Aqua is located in the lobby. Give the cocktails and raw bar a try. You can rent a boat or jet ski for some fun in the bay. A heated swimming pool and fitness center is available on the lobby level.

The room is very nice, comfy, and stylish. The bathroom has a standing shower with a great shower head that feels like a strong rain shower. The bed was so comfy and there are snack and drinks available in the fridge.

The staff here was very helpful and friendly. I will definately be staying here again next im in town.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Hello Mike M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. Your kind words and gracious score of 5 out of 5 are greatly appreciated and have been shared with our entire team. Comments such as yours provide additional inspiration to all of our Associates and certainly make us all happy to know that our efforts have paid off. Providing you with the rest and rejuvenation that you are entitled to is our goal and we hope that you will be back to visit us in the very near future.
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This has to have been the worst hotel stay ever in a Westin !
For startes the so called Jr. Suite was nothing more than a room with a couch on the lowest floor of the hotel. Then no safe in the room, took an act of congress & extensive complaints to have one put in the room (where it was supposed to have been) then the handset on the phone never worked despite it being "fixed". Last but worst of all, the room was not cleaned A SINGLE DAY OUT OF OUR 4 DAY STAY until we complained to the hotel manager who then tried to imply we had left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, which of course we did not ! After numerous complaints the mgr broke down & gave us a big $100 credit of a $1200 bill, whopty.
In any event, do urself a favor & go elsewhere when in Tampa !!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GA Biker,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent and less than pleasant stay, I would like to sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and I can honestly assure you that based upon your feedback, steps have been taken to guarantee there will not be a repeat experience as the one you encountered. We are also sorry that you did not like being on the 8th floor of the hotel. I would like to explain the compensation provided. When discussing the issues you encountered with your wife the day before your checkout, she was very happy with the compensation we offered, so I am sorry to hear that is not now the case. None the less, it is only through comments such as yours that we are able to continue to improve until we achieve our goal of 100% satisfaction for every guest every time. Thank you again and I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to prove ourselves.
Scott
Assistant General Manager
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed at the Westin Tampa Bay the night before a cruise. The shuttle came to the airport very fast and the driver was really nice. When we got to the hotel we were told we had been upgraded to an executive club room (WOW). The hotel was so clean and the room was really nice. The food at the hotel was very good and we enjoyed the bar that night. It was very busy and the bar staff tried really hard to keep up with the large crowd, even though they had one customer that thought they were there exclusively for her. The only problem we had, which was a small one, was I called prior to our arrival and asked about taxi service, which I was told it was not a problem. When we got to the hotel I called down to be sure it was lined up. The lady on the other end of the line said she didn't see it, but would set it up for the next morning. When we went down and checked out, I asked the person at the bell desk and he looked at the screen and said ok. We sat for 10 minutes after the taxi was supposed to pick us up. When I asked a different person at the desk he said I don't see anything for you. He called and a taxi was there in another 15 minutes. Other then that if was ever go out of the port of Tampa again I would not hesitate to stay there. Other then that the staff was great. Just a very relaxing place to stay. We would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: We were on a high floor and it was so quiet you would have thought we were the only ones on the floo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I ended up staying at the Westin Tampa Bay due to a flight cancellation (poor me!). The staff and service were great; the hotel was very well decorated and room service was fast and really good. They also had a great indoor pool and hot tub. If you're thinking about a place to stay for Yankee spring training, this is the place to stay. Not only is it 10 minutes from Steinbrenner Field, some of the Yankees stay there as well!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. Your kind words and gracious score are greatly appreciated and have been shared with our entire team. Comments such as yours provide additional inspiration to all of our Associates and certainly make us all happy to know that our efforts have paid off. Providing you with the rest and rejuvenation that you are entitled to is our goal and we hope that you will be back to visit us in the very near future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

As always the Westin is a good hotel with nice beds. This one has a very nice bathroom as well. The downsides are that their WiFi system is useless and they have no outlets by the beds at all.

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at this hotel in a month and both times I've had to call down to the front desk and complain about their WiFi. Both times they acted like it was news to them and offered to send an engineer. None of my traveling partners had WiFi either. When I checked out they apologized again but I informed them I would not be staying there unless they corrected the problem. I did not gat a warm feeling that they would.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Be well,
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I am a Starwood Platinum member. As a SWP you are supposed to be guaranteed a room. What they don't tell you is that when they will give you a room but charge you a ridiculous rate to get that room so in reality...the fact that you have probably spent thousands of dollars to get a Platinum status means they can just charge you more.
I had made a reservation for 2 nights and had to extend it to 2 more. They claimed to be oversold but then miraculously found me a room and wanted to charge me $500.00 per night for the extra 2 nights. I reminded them that they were located in Tampa and not New York City and asked to speak to a manager. Scott, the assistant manager took the call and basically told me he didn't care and said he'd leave a message for his GM to call me back. I explained that I have just opened a business in Tampa and would like to develop a relationship with the property because I enjoy Westins.
I called Starwood's help line to talk to them and they were not so happy about what was happening and requested a better rate but the GM not only refused but never called back either the fellow at Starwood or me. Starwood felt so stupid about this that they gave me 11,500 points.

If the service is this terrible before you get there...imagine what it's like when you're there. This hotel will never see a dime from me.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!