“Great place for an overnight stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #41 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great place for an overnight stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed at the Westin Tampa Bay the night before a cruise. The shuttle came to the airport very fast and the driver was really nice. When we got to the hotel we were told we had been upgraded to an executive club room (WOW). The hotel was so clean and the room was really nice. The food at the hotel was very good and we enjoyed the bar that night. It was very busy and the bar staff tried really hard to keep up with the large crowd, even though they had one customer that thought they were there exclusively for her. The only problem we had, which was a small one, was I called prior to our arrival and asked about taxi service, which I was told it was not a problem. When we got to the hotel I called down to be sure it was lined up. The lady on the other end of the line said she didn't see it, but would set it up for the next morning. When we went down and checked out, I asked the person at the bell desk and he looked at the screen and said ok. We sat for 10 minutes after the taxi was supposed to pick us up. When I asked a different person at the desk he said I don't see anything for you. He called and a taxi was there in another 15 minutes. Other then that if was ever go out of the port of Tampa again I would not hesitate to stay there. Other then that the staff was great. Just a very relaxing place to stay. We would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: We were on a high floor and it was so quiet you would have thought we were the only ones on the floo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I ended up staying at the Westin Tampa Bay due to a flight cancellation (poor me!). The staff and service were great; the hotel was very well decorated and room service was fast and really good. They also had a great indoor pool and hot tub. If you're thinking about a place to stay for Yankee spring training, this is the place to stay. Not only is it 10 minutes from Steinbrenner Field, some of the Yankees stay there as well!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. Your kind words and gracious score are greatly appreciated and have been shared with our entire team. Comments such as yours provide additional inspiration to all of our Associates and certainly make us all happy to know that our efforts have paid off. Providing you with the rest and rejuvenation that you are entitled to is our goal and we hope that you will be back to visit us in the very near future.
Stay well,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

As always the Westin is a good hotel with nice beds. This one has a very nice bathroom as well. The downsides are that their WiFi system is useless and they have no outlets by the beds at all.

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at this hotel in a month and both times I've had to call down to the front desk and complain about their WiFi. Both times they acted like it was news to them and offered to send an engineer. None of my traveling partners had WiFi either. When I checked out they apologized again but I informed them I would not be staying there unless they corrected the problem. I did not gat a warm feeling that they would.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Allow me this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share both your compliments and concerns regarding your recent visit with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed and appreciated certain aspects of your stay. However it appears that we fell short in some others. Those areas have been addressed and thanks to your feedback we will be able to make the necessary corrections. Although we strive to be perfect in every aspect of our goal to provide personal and instinctive service for every guest there are times when do not meet all expectations. Please accept my apologies for any area where you may have been underwhelmed and hopefully you will give us another chance.
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I am a Starwood Platinum member. As a SWP you are supposed to be guaranteed a room. What they don't tell you is that when they will give you a room but charge you a ridiculous rate to get that room so in reality...the fact that you have probably spent thousands of dollars to get a Platinum status means they can just charge you more.
I had made a reservation for 2 nights and had to extend it to 2 more. They claimed to be oversold but then miraculously found me a room and wanted to charge me $500.00 per night for the extra 2 nights. I reminded them that they were located in Tampa and not New York City and asked to speak to a manager. Scott, the assistant manager took the call and basically told me he didn't care and said he'd leave a message for his GM to call me back. I explained that I have just opened a business in Tampa and would like to develop a relationship with the property because I enjoy Westins.
I called Starwood's help line to talk to them and they were not so happy about what was happening and requested a better rate but the GM not only refused but never called back either the fellow at Starwood or me. Starwood felt so stupid about this that they gave me 11,500 points.

If the service is this terrible before you get there...imagine what it's like when you're there. This hotel will never see a dime from me.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Check-in was a nightmare. I have stayed in Westin's and (many other hotels) all over and this is the worst experience I've ever had. Dinner at Aqua (hotel restaurant) was very nice with good service. We knew it would be expensive, but didn't feel like leaving after our fiasco at the front desk. We stayed two nights and housekeeping didn't come (I've NEVER had this happen) and we were gone all day. Then we ordered room service that night that took an hour and fifteen minutes when service express said 4o minutes or less (the food was good). I called for our car from the valet the morning of departure, but the valet guy never got the message. Anyway, it's not at all worth the price or the amount of points!!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent and less than pleasant stay, I would like to sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and I can honestly assure you that based upon your feedback, steps have been taken to guarantee there will not be a repeat experience as the one you encountered. It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to continue to improve until we achieve our goal of 100% satisfaction for every guest every time. Thank you again and I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to prove ourselves.
Stay well,
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was looking forward to an upscale overnight stay while my bf and I were in town for a NYY spring training game. I've stayed in Westin's before and thought they were all very nice until now. The lobby was nice but I was very disappointed by the room. Yes, it had nice stuff and was clean but the presentation was surprisingly sloppy. It's like buying expensive linens and then leaving them in a messy pile to wrinkle before putting them out on the guest bed. (That is more of an analogy for the room as a whole.) It just didn't make sense to me that a westin would allow it to be that way. Plus, there was an open can of soda in the mini bar (gross!) and alcohol was missing. I expected WAY more from a Westin. The only reason I am not giving this hotel a poor rating is because the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
chelsea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is one of the hotels located near the Laser Spine Institute. The budget choices are the Hilton Double Tree and Sailport Suites. The more upscale choices are the Tampa Bay Westin and Grand Hyatt. These latter two are similarly priced but never, ever consider the Westin. It is one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed in. The Grand Hyatt (which we moved to, is one of the best). Some of our problems at the Westin

-Internet service, for which they charge a fee, does not work. We had to ask for help every day of our stay. At the end, when we talked to their provider, the problem was clear. The hotel refused to pay for sufficient band width to handle the hotels level of traffic.

-The Restaurant was a jock. See separate review of Aqua.

-Room service does not have heated carts. After surgery I had to use room service. Eventually, I just stopped ordering anything that was supposed to be hot - At best, it would arrive at room temperature.

-Typically in the evenings, there was no hot water

-We had to dispute our bill every day. We had two computers and, despite their policy of allowing 3 devices per charge, we were repeatedly billed every time we connected a device. Similarly, we informed both the front desk and the doorman that we were returning our rental car. Parking charges continued to be added to the bill.

-After surgery, there were only certain times of the day when housekeeping could be arranged. The hotel never managed to get this right.

This hotel has some concerned employees who make a sincere effort to provide good service. However, I do not believe we have ever encountered a hotel that was so incompetently managed.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Byrddawg,

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the numerous problems which you encountered during your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire Staff and Management team, I would like to sincerely apologize and assure you that the quality of service that you received is by no means typical of the level that we work very hard to achieve every day. I will not insult you by providing explanations or making excuses, but only reassure you that your comments have been taken constructively and they will help us to continue to improve. Hopefully, you will consider giving us another opportunity to show you that our guest is our number one priority.
Ron

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!