“Nice Hotel, Nice Location - But Avoid the Cave” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #47 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida
“Nice Hotel, Nice Location - But Avoid the Cave”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

First time staying at this hotel. Need to first say that I stayed using Starwood points; so it was free...usually you can't beat free. First the good; this hotel is out in the bay...so water views (assuming you have a view - more about that below) on all sides. There's a Starbucks off the lobby and the hotel has a nice Bar as well. The rooms are Westin nice...although my wife complained that the bed was too hard to be called a "Westin Heavenly Bed". The room itself was standard, clean, nice TV, etc.. Near the elevator - but still quiet. The one thing....and the main reason for the 3 (versus a 4) rating was the "window/view" in the room (room 812 - see the attached picture). One of the smallest windows I've ever seen in a hotel room - and I travel all the time for work. Ironically....I guess that's the word...the hotel has a curtain covering all of the blank wall....when we first walked into the room, I actually thought the window was much larger and just covered by the curtain....which, I guess is the idea. What a shame, given the potential views of the ocean/city. I probably shouldn't complain...at least there was a window and, since we were on the 8th floor - there was no view of a dumpster. Plus, I did mention it was free.

Room Tip: Don't get excited when you get a room on the 8th floor...it's essentially the floor above th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
West Coast, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I stopped for the night on our way overseas. We arrived late and got the free shuttle to the hotel at 11:00 pm. The front desk was super helpful, room service was available and friendly, the beds were comfy ( as usual). I had a few quibbles in the morning with the restaurant hostess who insisted I couldn't order breakfast but had to eat their (2 star) breakfast buffet. But when I went to the front desk asking for a restaurant recommendation for breakfast, the front desk person marched back to the restaurant and arranged to get me fabulous service AND a fabulous meal. She made my morning and I was thrilled at the outcome. The concierge also printed all my boarding passes without a fuss and we hopped the free shuttle back to the airport.

Altogether an pleasant and uneventfully stay, the way it should be.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT overlook the noisy causeway if you want peace and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

First class service right from the beginning. I hadn't been in Tampa in awhile and the Front Desk person was very helpful in recommending a local restaurant. Immediately surprised at the reasonable parking rate of only $5. I had just paid $25 at another hotel in Orlando. The room was fine. The bed was great. I had a drink outside the bar overlooking the water. Really nice.
Worked out in the gym in the morning. While not fancy it was fine. (Only downside no free weights.) Went to their in-house Starbucks before leaving. Again, good service. I definitely will be staying at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
kissimmee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

If you are planning on booking a stay at this hotel DO NOT book through there site, they are a complete rip off.
First of all I went to there site, put in the information (dates,how many adults/kids) it directs you to a page for booking, the first result was fine 2 double beds, so continued to book and booking was made. The next morning not even 12 hours later my son falls ill, I call them immediately and ask if i can change the date, I was told no as this rate is a fixed rate and non refundable - the person on the phone told me A Special rate, this is not correct i am a FL resident and that rate is $ 20 less and you can change/cancel at any time without any penalty. Since our stay was not for another 3 days I thought we may be able to go if my son gets better but no my other two children and husband got sick.. I gave them notice and begged and pleaded even to just change the date the answer is no, funny I received an email stating that the website is confusing and it lists the non refundable one first, why would I want that first I would rather pay more and be able to cancel/change than to pay less and something happens where me and my family are not able to go. This Place is A BIG BIG rip off, it is so unethical that they can do this I will NEVER book a stay, I understand they may of held the room, but I called no more than 12 hours just to change it, so now they are up $200.00 its robbery.. go stay somewhere else because god forbid you or a family member falls ill they will just pocket the money... SCAMMERS

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Went to Tampa for a work trip and ended up staying here.

Great location, close to the airport but still in a fairly quiet area and about 25 mins from Clearwater Beach.

Starbucks onsite was super nice to have.

The private beach was great.

Rooms were clean.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed 2 nights for Valentines Day. The Club Level is on the 15 floor. Its private, you need to put your room key in the elevator to get to that floor. There is a private area for breakfast (continental) and a light snack every evening. Great location near Bahama Breeze and close to the airport. There is a resturante called Aqua we ordered room service from there and it has a great menu, the burger was great, the fries were so-so.

The indoor hot tub is very small and not a lot of seating, so its more for a quick workout swim or just relaxing in the hot tub. The gym was getting all new equipment and it is very spacious.

There is a small beach and some jet skis for rent. It was cool and rainy so we did not see how much it was. There is a nice fire pit outside by the beach as well.

This was my first stay with Starwood Hotel properties. I just loved the Westin. I am usually a Marriott customer, but this hotel had a great rate and deal for Valentines Day and we thought we would give them a try, so glad we did. The service is amazing. Doormen always there to greet you and open the door. Stay here if you get the chance, you will not regret it,

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hello alisa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your pleasant thoughts regardarding your recent stay with us. They have been shared with our entire team and provided more inspiration than you could imagine. It is feedback such as yours which that makes what we do every day all that much more rewarding!!!

Stay well,
Ron
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The rooms were very clean and the amenities were perfect. Service was pleasurable with a smile. centrally located. Starbucks and the restaurant were a nice addition. Would definately stay again. 10 out if 10!

• Stayed December 2013
Hello megthompson58,
Your extra-nice compliments are very much appreciated and have been shared with all of the appropriate staff members. They too asked me to share their gratitude for your kind words and your 10 out of 10 rating. We look forward to serving you again very soon and hope that we can exceed your expectations once again!!
Be well,
Ron

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!