“Contemporary Elegance at Westin Tampa” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #47 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida
“Contemporary Elegance at Westin Tampa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Flanked by water on both sides, the drive across Tampa Bay’s Courtenay Campbell Causeway is a scenic interlude to calm tranquility at Westin Tampa Bay.

The hotel is perched on the causeway with stunning views of Tampa Bay. It is fairly accessible from the causeway with two entrances. Under the porte-cochère awaits cordial valet attendants with self parking on either side of the hotel.

A door man holds open the side door or you can enter through the revolving front door. The lobby extrudes calm light colors and earth tones with modern sensibility. An open inviting front desk beckons for efficient transactions. To one side is a Starbucks Coffee shop and Aqua restaurant flanks the other side. Straight out the back door opens to a wrap around terrace that faces a sandy beach. There are outdoor seating with lounge sofas on the terrace and beach lounge chairs on the beach. Towards one end of the beach is an equipment rental hut and the other end is open access for water craft. Indoor heated pool and fitness center is nestled right behind the elevator banks.

Up the elevator to lavish plush carpeted hallways into magnetic keyed entry doors. Our room was two “Heavenly Beds” with a view facing the water. Resting on this bed is like floating on air. The Westin Essence experience delivers sleep, eat, move, play and feel well philosophy so you can be at your best. I’d say this Heavenly Bath delivers on that promise. For efficiency and protection of the environment only one shower head is turned on. There is clear directions to turn on the other shower head. These dynamic duos deliver a cascading soothing body rub that cleanses at the same time. Signature Westin White Tea scented bath products deepen the experience.

After walking around to the end of the hallways I realized that most if not all rooms have a water view.

In-room dining offers nutrient rich and SuperFoodsRx™ dishes that nourishes and revitalizes. Aqua Tampa Restaurant, Bar and Lounge makes a bold statement in the lobby with a stunning wine display. The interior surrounds in chic leather, lighting fixtures, a grand piano, bar seating, table dining and outdoor waterfront dining. A very accommodating menu boast a myriad of cuisines with steaks, seafood, and vegetarian choices. The kitchen is open for Breakfast, Breakfast Buffet, Lunch, Express Lunch, Dinner, Bar Menu, Raw Bar and Group Menu. The full service bar serves up signature cocktails and an extensive wine list.

Did I mention this place was super dog friendly? Well, I did not get the doggie check-in amenities, since my dog is allergic to air! I didn’t mind. Dogs are allowed in all public spaces and everyone wants to say hi or pet the furry guy. Well he is a handsome fella. There are several patches of grass on the hotel premises and a park across the street. Rocky Point Park shares space with Post Lake Properties and Rocky Point Golf Course. The circular walkway extends on one corner overlooking the bay. Picnic tables and long benches face the water. Ample vegetation borders the road to create a very calm and quiet setting. It’s like a neighborly doggie walk.

Westin Tampa delivered on modern tranquility and service. This is definitely a place I would return to time and again. Next visit, I am definitely dinning in Aqua.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Traveler Foodie 1,

Thank you very much for your kind words which did an excellent job of painting a picture of our hotel through your eyes.Your comments and detailed overview are very much appreciated as is the time you spent preparing it. Our entire Team is very grateful for your loyalty and we all look forward to your return in the near future.
Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My daughter got married on Saturday, January 25th. I arrived at the Westin Bay late Thursday evening on January 23rd. The staff was very welcoming and I was looking forward to a wonderful, family & friend-filled long weekend. Upon entering my hotel room (room 1302), I was pleasantly surprised by the lovely view. I went into the bathroom and discovered a bug, which I promptly squished with a tissue. Not thinking anything of it, and also because it was late, I went to sleep. The next day, my daughter and I met for breakfast at a local restaurant. After breakfast we did the final dress fitting and then meet the entire wedding party for the rehearsal. Then, went back to the hotel for a quick change and off to the Rusty Pelican for the rehearsal dinner. Again, it was another late night, so went straight to bed. Saturday was the "big day" - again, didn't spend much time in the hotel room. It wasn't until Sunday morning, the day that I was checking out, that I discovered a bunch of bugs in the bathroom. I video-taped the bugs with my IPhone, in order to show the front desk that existence of bugs. I checked out of the room around 8:00-8:30 a.m. and notified the front desk of the situation. I was thanked by Carlos for bringing this matter to the hotels attention, and assured that something would be done about it. I was quite shocked to discover BUGS at the Westin!! I explained that my daughter and her new husband had reserved a block of rooms for the wedding and that many guests were spending lots of money at the hotel (at Aqua) for drinks and breakfasts. I was notified by the General Manager that a 20 dollar credit would be taken off my $527.00 hotel bill due to the bugs. At first, I thought he was joking, but then quickly realized that he was 100% serious. I asked, "I'm assuming you are going to take off 20.00 / day?" He said, "No, because had you notified us earlier, we would have gladly moved you to another room, but because YOU didn't bring this to our attention until the day you were checking out, we will only credit you 20.00." I thanked the general manager for his call & follow-up but asked "Is this how the Westin would like to do business?" He said, "Yes" So, this is why I am writing a this report on Trip Advisor. Please check your room for bugs...and if you find any, please report it to the front desk IMMEDIATELY!! Even if it means your days are full of important plans (like your only daughter getting married).
**No maid service the entire stay (Thursday - Sunday)
**Room service order was wrong. (Thursday night @ 11:40 - I ordered plain spinach salad with grilled breast of chicken). What I got was oily spinach salad with cold breast of chicken.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 1302. If you do, check for bugs. If you find any, notify front desk immediately...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear A_GardeningAngel,
On behalf of the entire staff, please allow me this opportunity to sincerely apologize to you for all of the problems which you encountered during your recent stay. It is of particular concern to me personally that they occurred during the weekend of your daughter's wedding. I do recall speaking with you, once you returned to Colorado, but I do not recall the conversation going exactly the way you describe it in your review. In addition to a few discrepancies, I also noticed that you describe some other problems which never came up in our conversation. Regardless, I would like to once again apologize and I hope that you heard favorable comments from your guests regarding their stay with us.
Swan Point, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Great for traveling, located 2 miles from the TIA. Very clean, a little pricey but very nice. The Food and Beverage was excellent. If you wish to travel to Disneyworld, it is only a 1 hour drive. It is also located just a couple of miles from Raymond James stadium. THere are many good sites to visit while in Tampa. There are excellent restaurants located within 6 miles from the hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the Bay.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hello Jim S,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your pleasant experience while staying with us and for describing our convenient location to several exciting arttractions. In addition to Disney and countless restaurants, we are also only 20 minutes from Busch Gardens, 30 minutes from the Clearwater Beaches and within 3 miles of two fabulous malls which include too many name brand stores to mention. We look forawrd to your next visit and hope that until then you will
St Louis, MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

1) the double rooms have twin beds which a couple cannot sleep in
2) room air conditioning units don't appear to ever run
3) the bed are not heavenly they are rock hard.
4) pillows are the same

Westin has really gone downhill the last few years.
I have over 400 stays at Starwood hotels this is such a cookie cutter version. Stay elsewhere in Tampa.

Stayed January 2014
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Hello Mike 1742,
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding your recent visit. I would like to apologize for our shortcomings and can assure you that we strive to deliver a level of service that is consistently personal and instinctive. Your loyalty is very much appreciated and hopefully your stay with us will not tarnish your otherwise favorable opinion of our brand.

Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed at this hotel after a cruise. It was very easy to find. The reception area is very clean, the staff are friendly and helpful. Self park for the car is free and there wasn't any space issues. The room on the 12th floor had fabulous views over the bay area. Had 2 queen size beds and a large bathroom with separate bath and shower. The shower was fantastic, I could've stayed in there for hours. The is a fridge with a mini bar (chargeable) and a safe that is free to use.

We had an evening meal in the Bahama Breeze restaurant a short walk from the hotel. This was very nice and I would recommend this as a place to eat especially the ribs.

We had breakfast at the hotel and this was very good and not overly expensive.

Checkout was quick and easy.

Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Definately

Would I stay here again? Yes

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Hello TaffyDi,
We are all truly thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your post cruise stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience and please know that your comments have been shared with our entire Team. Your kind words and perfect 5/5 rating provide a great boost of motivation as i am certain you can imagine. We all look forward to having another chance to serving you in the very near future!!

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Tampa Bay and enjoyed the property. The building is relatively new and the room (we stayed in a suite) we stayed in was very nice. The resturant on the first floor was open/airy and it offered a big buffet. The concierce lounge was just OK, but it was free if you have access. The staff where nice but not very well trained. I would stay her again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Good Day,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit with us. We read every single review and survey received and truly value the comments and feedback given. We also take all comments, positive or negative, very seriously and look at it as a way to continue to grow and improve. We are happy to know that you consider the Westin Tampa Bay as a "Good Choice in Tampa" and we hope that you return soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

The biggest disappointment was the indoor pool. The water was heated but there was no shallow end for small kids and the room reaked of chlorine. When we saw how pet friendly the hotel was we assumed It would be kid friendly as well but I was wrong. The room service staff was wonderful, quick and personable. The room was nice but very basic. The staff were all very helpful and smiling.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear clw2001,
Happy New Year!! i wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay, but disappointed to hear that there were certain aspects that you did not overwhelm you. There are certain times of the year when the indoor pool comes in handy and guests really enjoy it. This past week was a perfect example as temps went into the 30's. The ideal situation would be to have one of each and we hope to achieve that some day. Despite the indoor pool, i hope that you might give us another opportunity and possibly enjoy a ride on the Jet Skies or one of the boats that we have for rent on our private beach.
Ron

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!