“Clean, Well-run, and Great for Business (Apart from one small thing)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Tampa Bay

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #40 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
andalasia
“Clean, Well-run, and Great for Business (Apart from one small thing)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed here for two nights before the Thanksgiving holiday on business

Staff were all very friendly, helpful, and courteous. The room was well-appointed and the gym was very functional and relatively big.

My only caveat is the lack of a buffet breakfast. I normally hit the buffet because room service, generally by its nature, is never warm and timing is always a question mark anywhere. So I headed down to Aqua expecting the typical buffet -- but no buffet during the week! Weird. The room was also very busy -- seemingly everyone wanted to eat at this time and the hostess couldn't keep up and people were seating themselves (Although her three-inch heels didn't help). Apparently the kitchen also couldn't keep up as it took 20+ minutes for my simple egg order to arrive. I spoke with the manager and he said it's normally never this busy and I suggested that's why hotels do the buffet as they cannot fully anticipate timing and demand for breakfast by travelers. Okay, so I'm a consultant and had to add my two cents. But seriously -- re-think this. I don't want to spend thirty minutes every morning in your restaurant because you're not running an optimized operation. Oh and please have teapots for tea -- those cups are too small for your waiters to be constantly asking me if I want more hot water.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear jj427,

Thank you for taking the time to share your very objective comments with us. We certainly value your input and steps are already in place to put some of your suggestions in place. Your comments on room service are spot on with all hotels, but we try our best to get the items to the room as promptly and as hot as possible. Thank you again for your input and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just stayed for three nights over the weekend.

They recognized my SPG status at check-in and gave me a room overlooking the bay. Hotel is very nice, the rooms are clean and seem fairly new. Great bed, huge bathroom with a great shower.

Everyone seemed friendly. Parking was free and easy.

And the Starbucks in the lobby is a real Starbucks - not like some hotels that just use Starbucks coffee.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Neil S,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Bay for your recent 3 night stay and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Your kind words and 5 out of 5 rating have not gone unnoticed and they have been shared with our entire team. On behalf of all of our Associates, I would like to thank you for taking the time share your experience and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I spent the night here in November 2013 - I had a very early flight out of TPA the next morning and I wanted to be close to the airport.

Pros:
Close to the airport
Very classy hotel (nice modern decor)
Very close to Bahama Breeze, Whiskey Joe's
Has it's own (tiny) private beach on an inlet
NIce restaurant / Bar area
Very nice rooms with the Westin Heavenly beds
Free parking option

Cons:
Restaurant / Bar food is pricey
Not very much withing walking distance of the hotel

Overall I was very impressed with this hotel. I used a suite night award and was upgraded to an 850 sq ft suite. It was a very nice room with great views, kitchenette, and a very nice bathroom. I would definitely stay here again. You will need a car to get around during the stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Chadmzimmerman,

Thank you for the time you took to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay. Your comments and 5/5 rating are both very much appreciated and we are very happy to hear that you intend to return. Please keep in mind that we do have a complimentary courtesy shuttle that will take you to both of the two major malls as well as to any of the countless retaurants which are all within 2-3 miles of the Westin. Please fell free to utilize this convenient service and there is no need to rent a car.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The location of this hotel is great. Easy access to downtown Tampa and Clearwater. Sits along the bay with views out over the water.. Want to rent a jet ski - right out side.. Full service Starbucks in the Lobby.. Agua Restaurant was great tasting.

Room was upgraded upon check in for platinum status. Didn't need to ask. That's always a plus. Room was very nice, clean, modern and comfortable.

Room Tip: Suite with a view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Rsingleton,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for your very gracious 5 out of 5 overall rating. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your return in the near future. Your comments provide inspiration to our entire team to continue to raise the bar and to deliver service that is unmatched.
stl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The hotel staff, especially General Manager Ron Alicandro, went above and beyond to make my stay and trip the best it could be, even going so far as to personally drive a forgotten item to my place of business before my flight out.

Dear Keith P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for your very kind words. Your 5 out of 5 rating is very much appreciated as well and we are glad that we were able to resolve your dilemna. We all look forward to your return and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The hotel was beautiful and the location was great for a stop between the airport and the cruise ship. The staff was very helpful and we enjoyed the aqua bar and restaurant. There were 3 of us in the room and it wasn't over crowded. The bathroom was especially spacious.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Gypsymothker,

Thank you for your very kind words and gracious 5/5 rating. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and hope that the cruise was fantastic! We truly enjoyed hosting your group and hope that you will all be back again very soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

When my husband and I had to stay at a Westin on business one evening, I was looking forward to it. I've stayed at Westins before and enjoyed my time there. Maybe it's because we had just stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay a few weeks earlier, but I was really disappointed with the Westin.

At the Grand Hyatt, they gave us a gift of baby toiletries at check-in and sent someone up with a crib all made up. At the Westin, the crib was waiting for us in the room, but I had to set it up. It wasn't difficult, but after an evening of driving, I didn't feel like dealing with it; kind of annoying.

The Grand Hyatt's grounds featured something of a nature walk; the Westin's paled in comparison. The Grand Hyatt had a refrigerator where I was able to store our son's formula and other food for him. The Westin had a minibar that was weight sensitive so I ended up being charged for a bunch of beer we never drank but had moved around to make room for the formula. Also, the sheets at the Westin suck. I felt like I was sleeping in a bed of chalk.

I don't think I need to say where I'll be staying next time.

Room Tip: The view of the bay was really nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sabusong,

Thank you for taking the time to share your disappointing experience during your recent visit. I would like to sincerely apologize for the problems that you encountered and assure you that we have taken your comments as constructive feedback and steps have already been taken to correct them for the future. Hopefully you will consider giving us another opportunity to provide you with a level of service that everyone has come to expect from Westin Horels and Resorts. If you are willing to do so, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be honored to personally handle your resrvation.
Ron

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!