“Comfortable and practical” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Oslo
“Comfortable and practical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Nice hotel, with a practical location. Hospitable staff, good value and a friendly 5$ valet.
Not a big fan of the room service menu being on the TV, but apart from that the room was clean, contemporary and comfortable. There is no outdoor pool, and the beachfront did not strike me as a place you would want to take a swim. It might be best suited as a business hotel rather than a vacation spot, but with it's location beach or city are within a short drive. The beaches of Clearwater and St Petersburg are within a 30 minute drive drive, and downtown Tampa within 15.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Oslo,
Thank you for your kind response and we are happy to hear that you found our hotel to be both comfortable and practical. In addition, it is great to know that you had a chance to experience the convenience factor and our proximity to the beaches and downtown Tampa. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Stay well,

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past year and have never before written a review. When I am on a business trip I look, and am willing to pay, for a full service hotel - restaurant, wifi, room service, gym, etc. I needed to work all night in my room on Thursday night and planned to order a nice dinner via room service. I twice checked with the front desk and was assured I could order from the full menu up to midnight. I got back to the hotel late Thursday night and went to the front desk. I asked if I could just order room service there and they said no that I could only order from my room and that the only menu was on the tv. I called down from my room and was told that due to a problem room service was closed early. I could order only off the late night menu which had 3 items. I ordered 2 of those items - a microwaved egg sandwich and a bland turkey- like sandwich - which were bad. I was now tired, angry and hungry. I called the operator again and complained and asked about the problem that caused room service. I was told the problem was that the cook left early and there was nobody who could prepare food. I asked for the night manager and was told he left early too. What every happened to the guest coming first? There was no mention to me that if it was a slow night services would be cut back. If you are going to bill yourself as a full service business hotel you need to act like one. My night and next day were ruined. Had I known room service was going to be shut down early I would have stayed at another nice hotel. I frequently travel and am a SPG Platinum and have never had such a bad experience. I have actually encountered the opposite - several hotels have offered to keep the kitchen open later to accommodate guests. I hope the cook and night manager enjoyed their extra time off, my stay was ruined.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear JLB123456,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your unfortunate experience and please accept my sincere apologies for the extremely annoying series of events. Please rest assured that every aspect of your experience has been addressed to avoid such an incident from happening again.
I actually responded to your other review earlier today in hopes of obtaining your telephone number so that I could personally apologize. Although you were never charged for your room service meal, I would still appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter with you.I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Be Well,
Carmel, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a very fresh, clean property, professional and helpful staff. The bathroom is large and well-lit! One of my pet peeves is dim bathrooms in hotels. I carry my own lighted makeup mirror when I travel, and I left it in my suitcase, didn't need it! Our view was great, of the bay and the little beach area. The hotel is dead quiet. It was pretty full, and we never heard a sound while in our room. I didn't check on the pool before we booked since we were there for a family event, but there was a day we had some down time and were disappointed to learn that the pool is indoor. That's the only reason I'm not giving it a 5. We love Starbucks in the lobby.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view of the bay
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hello RQRO8,

Thank you for your very kind words and we are happy to know that you enjoyed your visit with us. It is also great to know that you found our hotel to be fresh and clean with bright bathrooms. I can understand your disappointment in discovering that we did not have an outdoor pool. But our indoor pool gets quite a bit of use when the weather is not all that great. I guess that best case would be to have one of each. Until then, it is great to know that we have a Starbucks :)
Palm Bay, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We recently stayed at the Westin for five days. The hotel was very nice and clean, and our room had a nice view of the bay. The beds were very comfortable to sleep in. It is located close to the Tampa airport. It is also just minutes away from major roads. There is a five dollar parking charge each day. Be careful of the parking spaces, as they are very close together! There is Internet access for the hotel, but you have to be in the lobby area only. If you wish to have Internet access in your room, there is a charge of $10 a day. I found this to be a little pricey. There is a Starbucks downstairs next to the hotel lobby. In my opinion, this hotel accommodates more business people than families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Laura G,
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and kind words. Our famous Heavely Beds do make for a comfortable sleep which is obviously a major factor when selecting a "nice place to stay". The five dollar parking charge is for either self or valet parking if you feel that the self-park spaces are a little too tight. We look forward to your return in the near future.
Stay Well,
Prescott Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is my second stay at the Westin Tampa Bay, both times for business travel. The hotel is convenient to the Tampa Airport, about 10-15 minutes away. The Westin beds are very comfortable and I look forward to staying at the hotel just for the beds. The views overlook the Bay and make the room even more enjoyable.

The only real negative to me is the charge for internet access - $10 per day per device. I bring my work computer and iPad so it would cost $20 per day for the internet and I'm there for three days. Westin Tampa Bay, you've got to be kidding . . .

Dear YorkiesD,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and we are happy to hear that you find out hotel to be convenient and enjoyable. We enjoy having you as our guest as well and look forward to your return. I am sorry that you are unhappy with the $10 internet charge, but I can assure you that this price is extremely competitive with the daily fee at the other upscale hotels in Tampa as well as all of the Westin hotels throughout North America. However, once you reach Gold or Platinum SPG status, the option to waive this fee exists. I appreciate your understanding.
Regards,
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have stayed at all the other Starwood properties in the Tampa Bay area, so thought I would try this relatively new hotel. It is only 15 minutes from downtown Tampa and 10 minutes from the Tampa Airport. $5 self or valet parking. Quiet. Good water views. Easy access to major highways. Typical Westin quality which is a good thing. I really enjoyed the Club Lounge on the 15th floor for breakfast. Check in and out was easy with no lines and friendly service. As SPG Platinum member, was upgraded to junior suite. Price for 1 night was more expensive than I would have expected for the area.

Nothing particularly impressive about property. It was what I expected except Club Lounge was a nice touch. Will likely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Hello PAQ,
Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and for staying with us during your most recent visit to Tampa. Your kind comments and the time that you spent to share them are both very much appreciated. We look forward to your return to the Westin the next time that you have reason to stay in Tampa.
Be Well,
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for business a few weeks ago and found the location to be very close to the Airport and offer all conveniences. Rooms were very comfortable, bathroom was spacious with a separate shower and tub. Having a Starbucks onsite was a bonus for a quick coffee and bite to eat vs. a full american breakfast.

Great stay !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello Ottyb,

We are all happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit and that you found your room to be comfortable and spacious. It also sounds as though the Starbucks was an added plus. Please visit us again soon or the next time that your travels bring you to Tampa.
Stay Well,
Ron

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!