“Solid Westin” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Wadsworth
“Solid Westin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Rooms nice and clean, attentive and helpful staff - from the front desk to valet. Really like having a Starbucks in here. Great location, close to food options, airport and the larger city. Bay side rooms have a great view of the bay, especially at night. However, I Would not recommend the breakfast buffet at Aqua.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Scotch C,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us and please know that we certainly do appreciate your very kind words. Although it appears that we did a "solid" job overall, we fell short with our breakfast buffet. I would like to apologize for your displeasure with breakfast and your comments will certainly help us continue to improve certain areas of the buffet. We hope that you will be staying with us again soon and hope that you give the breakfast buffet another chance!!

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a room booked... But when called to confirm we were notified that our room was cancelled by a 3rd party. Not sure how that happened? When we requested a new room rate it was 2x the amount as we did not qualify for the wedding party rate at that point. The person we spoke to on the phone was nice... But we could not get any solid answers regarding our situation. In future I don't think I will suggest or go to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rusty P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your very unfortunate experience and I do apologize for the cancellation of your reservation by a third party. I do not understand how that could have happened and hope that you have been able to gain more information since you submitted this review. Unfortunately, we cannot pursue this matter and provide you with an explanation since we do not have your name or confirmation number. If you would like to provide that information, we would gladly look into the matter and get back with you.

Sarnia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I recently had the displeasure of staying at the Westin, Tampa Bay. Upon arrival, my party and I were informed that the wedding block arrangement we had agreed upon was not going to be honoured. We ended up being spread out across two floors rather than the block of rooms that were promised. We later found out, that the honeymoon suite for the bride and groom was also not delivered according to previous arrangements. While I understand the difficulties associated with booking a whole wing at such an establishment, I do not understand why they would make such guarantees only to go back on their word after the fact.

After several run ins with the staff throughout the night, what was left of our party decided to checkout and find accommodations elsewhere. At this point, the service resembled a scene from Dumb and Dumber while trying to sort out our cancellations. Amidst the blatant lies which they were continuously caught in, they were unable to find reservations under specific names, unable to print out cancellation confirmations, and were not able to provide transportation to a different destination after that again was agreed upon.

In the end, we ended up speaking to the General Manager about the transportation issue. He without question, turned out to be the most rude and ridiculous person I have ever talked to. He redefined every stereotype of arrogant America.

Aside from the ridiculous service, the location and rooms were great. With that being said, they are not nearly enough to overlook the treatment we received. Save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere. The Mainsail, roughly 15 miles down the highway is a great pick. Don't however ask for directions from the Westin. According to them: "Just walk across that highway there, it's right across the road. You can't miss it."

I can't make this stuff up.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Who says that you can't make this stuff up?

In reality, one of the members of your group was relocated to the Mainsail due to the fact that we received several noise complaints coming from their room. After giving them 2 warnings, the noise level actually worsened and the (valid) complaint calls continued. Out of courtesy and respect for the guests who were trying to sleep at 2:45 am, we secured reservations for your friends at Mainsail and drove them there in our Hotel Shuttle just to make certain that they arrived safely. The Mainsail is 4.5 miles from us and not "15 miles down the highway".
I wish that you would have explained "after having several run ins with the staff throughout the night" in a little more detail. Could it have been Security?
The next morning we comped two rooms for the guests who were kept wake all night!!
Also the next morning, four members of the group voluntarily CHOSE to check out and join their friends at the Mainsail. I am not positive if you are one of them, however a member of that group rudely demanded that we either shuttle them or pay for the cab fare. Our coutesy shuttle radius is 3 miles and we transported the others the night before out of concern for their safety. The same certainly did not apply the next day and is possibly the reason for this extremely inaccurate and unfair review.
I would also like to apologize for my response to the review "Worst hotel exprience, hands down" because we honestly did not recognize the distorted details in that review. The mention of "Mainsail" in this review is what helped make the connection to the developing trend. There was one other review submitted, but it was rejected by Tripadvisor because it was in violation of their guidelines!!
Hotel guestrooms are not intended for partying. Every guest is entitled to a safe and peaceful night's sleep and it is our responsibility to make certain they receive it.

Regards,
General Manager of The Westin Tampa Bay
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've literally never had worse service at a hotel. Each level of service was atrocious, and no one really seemed to know anything.
Is it saying something when the Valet was by FAR the friendliest and most helpful staff member on duty, even after speaking directly to the Hotel General Manager?

Our wedding group was not given the block of rooms that we had originally negotiated, there were errors in our booked accommodations, they could not find several of us in their files, they LOST 3 of our friends and had no idea where they were sent within the city, they mis-informed us regarding check out times and cancellation policies, we were forced to wait for 2 shuttles only be told each time that they could not even take us to the proposed destination, they could not provide paperwork to confirm our cancellations. This was all within an 8 hour stay.

Terrible experience, and although the room itself was nice with a great view, it still seems
The General Manager did not care whatsoever and was completely dismissive. Awful.overpriced. With completely new management and staff, this COULD be a fantastic hotel. At the moment it leaves a LOT to be desired.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Ryan595,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent experience. However, I am the General Manager and I do not recall any such circumstances surrounding an incident as you have described it. Is it possible that you have the wrong hotel in mind? I have also checked with the members of our entire Management Team and none of them recall a situation remotely close to your description. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can help clear any of this up for you.
Regards,
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Our family was at Disney and then traveled to Tampa to see family for a few days. We were looking for a hotel near the airport and were pleasantly surprised by both the hotel and staff at the Westin Tampa Bay. The gentleman that checked us in was very friendly, and the staff overall were quick to say hello and greet our family. My wife liked how the beach area was well suited for our younger children and mentioned the cleanliness of the rooms. We ate at Aqua twice when there were other restaurants nearby; the food was great and atmosphere near perfect. I spend about 25 nights a year in hotels and have to say the combination of the staff, food, property, and rooms puts this Westin at the top of the list. I noticed an award about being the top hotel in Tampa and I can see why, well deserved and we will return.

Room Tip: I prefer a higher room that over looks the bay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Justyn M,

Thank you very much for your extremely kind comments and for scoring our hotel a 5 out of 5. More importantly, we are happy to know that you and your family enjoyed the food in Aqua your overall stay with us and that your children had fun at the beach area. You are obviously an experienced traveler and we are extremely proud to be at the top of your list!!!
We hope that we will have the privilege of hosting your family again next year or even sooner.

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at the Westin for a business meeting for 3 nights. It is an attractive, modern hotel situated on a causeway, only a 12 minute ride from the airport. While it had its own pleasant, small beach, there was a major highway only about 100 yards away – but the car sounds were unobtrusive in both the beach area and in the room.

My room (1321) was attractive (and faced the city which I feel yields the better view), spotless and spacious. It had two large beds and a sizable desk (with outlets conveniently facing outward making them easily accessible). The coffee maker had a supply Starbucks coffee (and there was a Starbucks in the lobby) and an assortment of tea. The well-stocked refrigerator was concealed by the entertainment unit. There were two cordless telephones and a clock radio with a docking station for iPods. The closet contained an iron and ironing board.

The bathroom had both a large shower stall with dual shower heads and a gleaming, sizable, separate bathtub. The attractive vanity had a lower shelf for additional space, and a shaving/make-up mirror extending from the wall. My only criticism was that the cups were disposable plastic which were not environmentally friendly. There was always a generous supply of towels.

The fitness center was outstanding: free weights and a plethora of state-of-the-art exercise machines at no additional charge. Free earplugs were offered for use on the machines for those who did not want to listen to overhead music. There were fresh towels and water, as well as sanitary wipes for the equipment. However, the room was very clean. Next to the fitness center was a sizable indoor swimming pool which was large enough for laps.

There was a free mini-bus shuttle that not only offered rides to and from the airport, but also was available for transport to local restaurants (as the hotel is a bit isolated). I do not know their policy, but I do not think the shuttle went as far as the downtown area. This service was a welcome amenity.

The staff was consistently pleasant and hospitable. The wake-up calls were personalized and done by the staff rather than the computerized alternative. They even offered a follow-up wake-up call!

The only shortcoming of the hotel was the very thin walls and doors. I would recommend a room at the far end of the hall to minimize invasive sounds.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the city give the nicer view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Richard 0304,

On behalf of our entire Team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your very kind words regarding your recent stay at The Westin Tamp Bay. It is a true honor to know that we met and hopefully exceeded your expectations. Comments such as yours are very inspiring to all of our Associates as we strive to achieve our goal of providing service that is purely personal and instinctive.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I stay at this hotel whenever we visit Tampa just to get away for a couple of days. We really enjoy our stays and have no real complaints. The bays views are outstanding, especially on the higher floors.

There is much to like at this hotel. The staff is friendly, courteous and attentive. Requests are handled quickly. The rooms are clean, spacious and very comfortable. Everything is well cared for. Nothing is worn or looks dated. On the negative side, everything is an additional charge. Self-parking and valet are both $5 though the valet service is very quick. WiFi is $10 per day and I will never understand why hotels simply can't include this in their rates.

The restaurant on site is quite good (another review, perhaps) with a somewhat eclectic menu. The fitness center is top of the line with several each of treadmills and stationary bicycles. It also includes a full dumbbell rack and LifeFitness weight machines.

Shop for prices if your dates are flexible and you're not traveling on business as rates can vary.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tony M,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences and for your very kind words expressing the fact that you and your wife see us as your little "get away". Insounds as though you and your wife have stayed with us a few times and hopefully we remain consistent with providing you both with persoanl and instinctive service.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Ron

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!