“A well managed hotel near the airport” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #37 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
New York City
“A well managed hotel near the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at the Westin for a business meeting for 3 nights. It is an attractive, modern hotel situated on a causeway, only a 12 minute ride from the airport. While it had its own pleasant, small beach, there was a major highway only about 100 yards away – but the car sounds were unobtrusive in both the beach area and in the room.

My room (1321) was attractive (and faced the city which I feel yields the better view), spotless and spacious. It had two large beds and a sizable desk (with outlets conveniently facing outward making them easily accessible). The coffee maker had a supply Starbucks coffee (and there was a Starbucks in the lobby) and an assortment of tea. The well-stocked refrigerator was concealed by the entertainment unit. There were two cordless telephones and a clock radio with a docking station for iPods. The closet contained an iron and ironing board.

The bathroom had both a large shower stall with dual shower heads and a gleaming, sizable, separate bathtub. The attractive vanity had a lower shelf for additional space, and a shaving/make-up mirror extending from the wall. My only criticism was that the cups were disposable plastic which were not environmentally friendly. There was always a generous supply of towels.

The fitness center was outstanding: free weights and a plethora of state-of-the-art exercise machines at no additional charge. Free earplugs were offered for use on the machines for those who did not want to listen to overhead music. There were fresh towels and water, as well as sanitary wipes for the equipment. However, the room was very clean. Next to the fitness center was a sizable indoor swimming pool which was large enough for laps.

There was a free mini-bus shuttle that not only offered rides to and from the airport, but also was available for transport to local restaurants (as the hotel is a bit isolated). I do not know their policy, but I do not think the shuttle went as far as the downtown area. This service was a welcome amenity.

The staff was consistently pleasant and hospitable. The wake-up calls were personalized and done by the staff rather than the computerized alternative. They even offered a follow-up wake-up call!

The only shortcoming of the hotel was the very thin walls and doors. I would recommend a room at the far end of the hall to minimize invasive sounds.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the city give the nicer view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Richard 0304,

On behalf of our entire Team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your very kind words regarding your recent stay at The Westin Tamp Bay. It is a true honor to know that we met and hopefully exceeded your expectations. Comments such as yours are very inspiring to all of our Associates as we strive to achieve our goal of providing service that is purely personal and instinctive.

Be Well,
Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I stay at this hotel whenever we visit Tampa just to get away for a couple of days. We really enjoy our stays and have no real complaints. The bays views are outstanding, especially on the higher floors.

There is much to like at this hotel. The staff is friendly, courteous and attentive. Requests are handled quickly. The rooms are clean, spacious and very comfortable. Everything is well cared for. Nothing is worn or looks dated. On the negative side, everything is an additional charge. Self-parking and valet are both $5 though the valet service is very quick. WiFi is $10 per day and I will never understand why hotels simply can't include this in their rates.

The restaurant on site is quite good (another review, perhaps) with a somewhat eclectic menu. The fitness center is top of the line with several each of treadmills and stationary bicycles. It also includes a full dumbbell rack and LifeFitness weight machines.

Shop for prices if your dates are flexible and you're not traveling on business as rates can vary.

Dear Tony M,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences and for your very kind words expressing the fact that you and your wife see us as your little "get away". Insounds as though you and your wife have stayed with us a few times and hopefully we remain consistent with providing you both with persoanl and instinctive service.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Be Well,
Ron
Tampa FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We just got back from an overnighter to escape the Gasparilla crowds in Tampa. What a great place the Westin is! Originally we were going to have dinner and Key Lime Pie at the Bahama Breeze, but the hotel's ambiance was so pleasant and the staff so accommodating that we decided to stay in and get room service instead. What a great idea that turned out to be! Our room had a fantastic view of the Tampa and the Bay. The sunset was romantic and the city lights transitioned wonderfully. Not only did we enjoy the experience but we plan to repeat it for New Year and 4th of July when the crowds return! Kudos Westin!

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am a Tampa local. My husband and I just wanted to get away from home and enjoy the weekend at a hotel together. I am a SPG member so I wanted to try out one of their properties that I have not been to yet. There is not one negative thing that I have to say about this hotel.

LOCATION is one of the best things about this hotel. You are just a few minutes from the Tampa Airport, the Buccaneers stadium, International Mall shopping area and more. You are literally staying on the bridge that connects Tampa to Clearwater Beach and St Pete Beach. There is not really anywhere to walk to besides restaurants. If you need a store or CVS or mall you will need to have a rental car or taxi but most places in Florida are like this. There is not good public transportation in Florida like they have in big cities but you do get the laid-back beach life and beautiful weather in exchange!

The hotel is definitely basic. There is no spa etc Just the necessities but everything is Starwood
quality.

THE ROOM : We had a basic King room and got a good deal because we have AAA. We had room # 1203 and the view was beautiful. We saw a pretty sunrise and sunset! The bathroom was very spacious. Seperate tub and shower with dual shower heads. The room and the entire hotel feels VERY CLEAN. The Signature Heavenly Bed was of course Heavenly! We were on the "Preferred Guest Level " which I thought was a nice touch. There are no balconies which was a bummer but I checked and no hotels in the surrounding areas have balconies either.

PET FRIENDLY: We traveled with our 6 pound Cavapoo puppy and she was treated like royalty at this property. Major brownie points here! There was no pet deposit. We only had to sign a waiver agreeing to pay for any damages that she might do during the stay. We keep our puppy in a crate so I was not worried about this. A few minutes after we had settled into our room, the bellman delivered a Westin Heavenly Pet Bed and water bowl to our room. It was a really nice touch. At some hotels you feel like you have to sneak around and you feel bad for bringing your pet. The Westin made us not only feel at home, but we felt a little spoiled too! There is a park directly next to the hotel that is perect fopr walking your dog. Even if you don't have a pet - it is a nice place for a walk or jog.

DINING: We had lunch on the outside patio of the AQUA restaurant. It was excellent. The view was wonderful. There is a TINY man made beach area where you can lay out or rent jet skis there. We took the FREE SHUTTLE to Armani's which is an upscale restaurant just about two minutes down the road. The experience there is a must if you are in Tampa. It is sort of an older crowd but the service is impeccable and the view on their outside patio is wonderful. We enjoyed many glasses of champagne by the fire pit. We had late night snacks at the bar which closes at 12midnight once we returned to the hotel. We also ordered breakfast in bed which , like at any hotel, was way overpriced but worth it!

RECREATION: It is about a 25 minute drive to the actual beach from the hotel but you are driving over the Tampa Bay most of the drive so it is very nice. Directly next to the hotel are some areas where you can still enjoy laying out by the water of the Tampa Bay. The pool and the hot tub at the Westin were very basic but clean and open 24 hrs . I really enjoyed our late night swim. The pool is indoors on the first level of the hotel. The hotel now rents out workout clothes and sneakers for you to use. I didn't use this service but it is a great idea because I hate packing sneakers! They take up so much room in my bag.

The staff was wonderful. They went out of their way to fulfill every request we had. We were given at late check out for 2pm. The valet, the front desk, the drivers, the service - all the staff were great.

Over all a wonderful stay at the Westin. If this hotel had a spa I would be returning on a regular basis. Too bad they don't :( For a very basic stay it is great! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the Westin or travel in the Tampa Bay area!

Room Tip: Room 1203 has perfect views of the water and the surrounding areas. It is on the Preferred Guest Lev...
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayd Herr for 40th anniversary. What a deal.you would expect to pay much more.Dverythiing has been updated and valet overnight parking only $5. Staff was brest. Will stay here eberytime when in tampa

Tillsonburg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. It has its own beach with water sports. We got an upgrade which was nice. Our room was very nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. We had a great sleep. We also visited the Bar and it was a positive experience. The singer had a very good voice and was very entertaining. The staff are pleasant.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I travel a lot but have never come to grips with this Westin. My keys NEVER work. The first night, arriving near midnight, tired and ready to be in, I have to call down to the desk from the hall and they "oh" activate my key. The next morning I got a 6 am wake-up call - and I had NOT requested a wake up call, especially at 6:00 am. Upon check out they asked if the bill they left under the door is right, and they hadn't left a bill. The thermostat is gated and doesn't really work, so my room never got cooled off, making if hard to sleep.

The staff is pleasant enough they just don't seem to be well trained. The pool is nice and quiet, the starbucks is great, the shuttle bus drivers are great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!