“Flawless Stay at Westin Tampa Bay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #41 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Flawless Stay at Westin Tampa Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am a Tampa local. My husband and I just wanted to get away from home and enjoy the weekend at a hotel together. I am a SPG member so I wanted to try out one of their properties that I have not been to yet. There is not one negative thing that I have to say about this hotel.

LOCATION is one of the best things about this hotel. You are just a few minutes from the Tampa Airport, the Buccaneers stadium, International Mall shopping area and more. You are literally staying on the bridge that connects Tampa to Clearwater Beach and St Pete Beach. There is not really anywhere to walk to besides restaurants. If you need a store or CVS or mall you will need to have a rental car or taxi but most places in Florida are like this. There is not good public transportation in Florida like they have in big cities but you do get the laid-back beach life and beautiful weather in exchange!

The hotel is definitely basic. There is no spa etc Just the necessities but everything is Starwood
quality.

THE ROOM : We had a basic King room and got a good deal because we have AAA. We had room # 1203 and the view was beautiful. We saw a pretty sunrise and sunset! The bathroom was very spacious. Seperate tub and shower with dual shower heads. The room and the entire hotel feels VERY CLEAN. The Signature Heavenly Bed was of course Heavenly! We were on the "Preferred Guest Level " which I thought was a nice touch. There are no balconies which was a bummer but I checked and no hotels in the surrounding areas have balconies either.

PET FRIENDLY: We traveled with our 6 pound Cavapoo puppy and she was treated like royalty at this property. Major brownie points here! There was no pet deposit. We only had to sign a waiver agreeing to pay for any damages that she might do during the stay. We keep our puppy in a crate so I was not worried about this. A few minutes after we had settled into our room, the bellman delivered a Westin Heavenly Pet Bed and water bowl to our room. It was a really nice touch. At some hotels you feel like you have to sneak around and you feel bad for bringing your pet. The Westin made us not only feel at home, but we felt a little spoiled too! There is a park directly next to the hotel that is perect fopr walking your dog. Even if you don't have a pet - it is a nice place for a walk or jog.

DINING: We had lunch on the outside patio of the AQUA restaurant. It was excellent. The view was wonderful. There is a TINY man made beach area where you can lay out or rent jet skis there. We took the FREE SHUTTLE to Armani's which is an upscale restaurant just about two minutes down the road. The experience there is a must if you are in Tampa. It is sort of an older crowd but the service is impeccable and the view on their outside patio is wonderful. We enjoyed many glasses of champagne by the fire pit. We had late night snacks at the bar which closes at 12midnight once we returned to the hotel. We also ordered breakfast in bed which , like at any hotel, was way overpriced but worth it!

RECREATION: It is about a 25 minute drive to the actual beach from the hotel but you are driving over the Tampa Bay most of the drive so it is very nice. Directly next to the hotel are some areas where you can still enjoy laying out by the water of the Tampa Bay. The pool and the hot tub at the Westin were very basic but clean and open 24 hrs . I really enjoyed our late night swim. The pool is indoors on the first level of the hotel. The hotel now rents out workout clothes and sneakers for you to use. I didn't use this service but it is a great idea because I hate packing sneakers! They take up so much room in my bag.

The staff was wonderful. They went out of their way to fulfill every request we had. We were given at late check out for 2pm. The valet, the front desk, the drivers, the service - all the staff were great.

Over all a wonderful stay at the Westin. If this hotel had a spa I would be returning on a regular basis. Too bad they don't :( For a very basic stay it is great! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the Westin or travel in the Tampa Bay area!

Room Tip: Room 1203 has perfect views of the water and the surrounding areas. It is on the Preferred Guest Lev...

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayd Herr for 40th anniversary. What a deal.you would expect to pay much more.Dverythiing has been updated and valet overnight parking only $5. Staff was brest. Will stay here eberytime when in tampa

Tillsonburg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. It has its own beach with water sports. We got an upgrade which was nice. Our room was very nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. We had a great sleep. We also visited the Bar and it was a positive experience. The singer had a very good voice and was very entertaining. The staff are pleasant.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I travel a lot but have never come to grips with this Westin. My keys NEVER work. The first night, arriving near midnight, tired and ready to be in, I have to call down to the desk from the hall and they "oh" activate my key. The next morning I got a 6 am wake-up call - and I had NOT requested a wake up call, especially at 6:00 am. Upon check out they asked if the bill they left under the door is right, and they hadn't left a bill. The thermostat is gated and doesn't really work, so my room never got cooled off, making if hard to sleep.

The staff is pleasant enough they just don't seem to be well trained. The pool is nice and quiet, the starbucks is great, the shuttle bus drivers are great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The facility is beautiful. The staff is helpful; yet not intrusive.The views are nice. The food at the restaurant is very good. The bar is well stocked and managed by skilled bartenders. The deck is sunny and cozy. Management obviously understands that their livelihood is based upon guest satisfaction. And I was one satisfied guest!

• Stayed December 2012
Goldsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Overall the hotel, room and location was amazing. We got a great deal on the price of the room for our annual bowl game trip. The room was clean, spacious, great view and well decorated. The internet is $9.95 per day and works sporadically even when using the ethernet cord. This hotel is too nice to be charging internet usage fees this high for this poor quality service. I had to constantly refresh the screen to get the connections to work. Also, our last morning we ate in the Aquos restaurant in the lobby. The facility is nice but the $15.00 buffet breakfast was unprepared for the quests. It took 15 minutes to be waited on after being seated in the dining area. While the food available was delicious it was very difficult to get access to the food as most was out each time I visited the line. The first trip had french toast but no eggs, well cooked bacon or fruit. I also had to wait 15 minutes to get syrup. The second trip there was syrup but no french toast, fruit or eggs. I was told the toast was coming but 15 minutes later, never materialized. The manager was out of his league and couldn't keep up.

Room Tip: As far as I can tell you can't go wrong with a room choice in this hotel. Beautiful views on all...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Plymouth, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Spent two nights here for a family wedding just after Christmas. Check in was speedy and friendly. Room was clean and well appointed; great nights of sleep --and not alcohol aided! Great view from our west facing room. Had a tasty sandwich in the bar after our late arrival. Valets and bell men personable and helpful.

Room Tip: Both sides of building have water views and rooms are above six floor garage.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!