“Great bathroom” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great bathroom”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I saw some of reviews and they were not that great but I thought this was an excellent hotel. Yes it is in an isolated area but most of all of the hotels near the airport are off the beaten path. The room was very nice with comfortable beds. But I must say the bathroom was the best ever. It had a walk in shower with a separate bathtub. I loved the size of the bathroom. We had a room overlooking the bay. I stayed with a family member and two friends and it was great. My friend stayed for two nights and loved it. We all stayed there before the cruise. There is a small beach with lounge chairs. The staff was great. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear tch912,

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and for your kind words. We strive to achieve a level of service that is truly personal and insticntive and I am pleased to see that we achieved our goal and that the service was great!! Many of our guests of our guests agree with and also express their appreciation for the overall comfort and size of the bathroom. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again and please keep us in mind when traveling to Tampa for business, pleasure or your next cruise pre-departure location.

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Let me start off by saying this... The hotel itself is very nice, the rooms were clean, the staff that we dealt with was pleasant. BUT... I toured the hotel to accomidate guests for my wedding across the street at the Rusty Pelican, and although a cousin of mine recommended the Hyatt down the road, which was the same price, I chose the Westin because I liked the look and decor. I dealt with the events manager of the hotel to block my rooms, which were blocked in incriments of 10. Dayana sent me updated lists of hotel guests that had booked every few weeks, but I had a terrible time when two people told me that no rooms were available anymore since my block was up. I had to email and call to get the next set of 10 rooms available, and the block itself expired one month before my actual wedding date. Being that I have been to over 5 weddings in this past year, and also having one myself, I think this is a bit odd, as a lot of times people do not decide to stay at the close hotel until last minute (my wedding was in my hometown, not many out of town guests). Also, my invites didn't even go out until 7 weeks before my wedding, which left about 2 weeks for people to decide to book. I had two people have to pay full price for their room, and also had 4 other people tell me that they tried but the regular priced room was not something they could swing. ($99 vs $149).

I was also told in the beginning that the hotel suites do not tend to fill, but the ONLY way to guarantee a suite to be available to me by 12 PM on Saturday to allow me to get ready with my girls in, was to book the suite the night before the wedding as well as night of, basically forcing me to pay $800 to them for a room. I kept the suite in my name until one day before the wedding, and my groom ended up only needing a small room to stay in on the night before the wedding, due to the fact one of our groomsmen had a baby the night before, and leaving him with only 4 total people, and not needing the space of a suite. We cancelled the suite to save us close to $400 additional dollars and utilized a regular room. When I arrived at 11 AM on Saturday, I was told the suite ended up occupied, but the occupants were already out, and the front desk girl assured me that we would be in there in no time - an hour to hour and a half. No big deal, but I was thankful that I had family with standard rooms that were ready (well, 2 out of 3 of them, which I was told the hotel was "sold out", when in fact, I could book a room on Friday morning) due to the fact that I needed to get ready somewhere with hair and makeup artists arriving at 12 and bridesmaids to follow. After two calls to the front desk, we finally got into the room at 1:45 PM, and had to situate all my luggage, girls, and dress for my 5 PM wedding. It was chaotic and hectic.

Then to top off everything, after booking 17 rooms total for the weekend, I got a small thank you card. No other discounts on the suite or the additional room I had Friday, and paid close to $408 for a one night stay in a suite, with parking, in addition to the one night stay Friday for the groomsmen at $150 bucks with parking. When asked about all the charges for parking and the rooms, I was met with "You needed to book 20 rooms for a free suite night" - fine and dandy, but wouldn't you think you could have at least comped something, parking or even half of my first night stay in the regular room? Mind you, the groomsmen spent money in the bar Friday, my guests spent money in the bar Saturday, and even myself Saturday night spent money in the bar...

I understand that these may be a Westin policy, so I don't blame the hotel fully, just think more should be done for a party that brings at least $2000, probably more with parking and drinks, into the hotel. Just wanted to give any Rusty Pelican Brides a heads up... if you have a wedding party that isn't going to book 20 plus rooms, don't expect any special treatment from the Westin, aside from a small discount up front and a push for AQUA. (Which by the way, had great drinks, but this is not worth the headache)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jessica N,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your concerns and I am very pleased to hear the you found the Westin to be very nice, the rooms clean and the Staff pleasant. There seems to have been some confusion with the guest room block, for which I do apologize, and how it pertains to the complimentary suite for the Bride and Groom. As you stated, there is a minimum guest room pick up of 20 room nights required in order for the Bride and Groom to receive the Honeymoon Suite on a complimentary basis. You also stated that only a total of 17 room nights had actualized. Also, the standard check in time is 3pm at most hotels, so Dayana was correct in telling you that the only way to guarantee a "get ready" room for Saturday morning would have been to make and then keep your suite reservation for Friday night and your rate would not have been any where near $800 in fact it would have been $349, plus tax. I wish that we could have gotten your Bridesmaids into the room earlier, but I am also glad to see that we did manage to get them in at 1:45pm and before the normal check in time.
Once again, I apologize for any confusion that may have taken place during your very special day and rest assured that we take great pride in all Wedding Bridal Parties that we host including those coming to us from the Rusty Pelican and many other freat venues in and around the Tampa Bay Area.

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel pre-cruise as this was the best deal in the Tampa area. The deal was a reduced rate that was pre-paid, which means that as soon as you reserve it, there is no way to cancel without penalty. More on that later.
The hotel itself was nice. Close to the airport. The room and bathroom were clean. The valet and front desk staff were friendly. As platinum SPG members we got upgraded to the club floor and had access to the club lounge. Location is about 15 - 20 minutes from Chanelside and Ybor City. We had rented a car so getting around Tampa was not an issue. If you don't have a car, there aren't many options around the hotel for anything really. The hotel is off of a major causeway but it seemed to be mostly a business area.
Back to the cancelation piece - about 2 weeks prior to our stay, I tried to cancel our reservation. We had a family issue and staying in Tampa was turning out to not be the best option for us, and staying there was becoming stressful. So, I called SPG and was told that it was up to the manager at the hotel as to whether or not we could cancel. The SPG rep called the hotel while I was on the line but a manager was not available. I was told to call back and speak with a manager regarding my request. I called back later, and spoke with Justin. I explained the situation and asked to speak with a manager. Justin instead put me on hold and then came back and told me that I could not cancel the reservation. He never specified who it was he spoke with. I called SPG back and asked for further assistance. SPG sent an email to the hotel, asking them to contact me. I also sent an email to 3 managers at the hotel that are listed on their website - Dayana Chalmers, Rachel Tielsch, and Jennifer Nagy, asking them to contact me. After more than a day without any response, I called SPG back. The SGP rep called the hotel while I was put on hold. The SPG rep stated that she spoke with Blake, a manger at the hotel, who stated that our request to cancel the reservation could not be accommodated and that he was actually in the middle of sending me an email regarding this. I thought, great! Something from a manager in writing since I haven't been able to speak with one. No such email appeared. I called the hotel and asked to speak with Blake. I got put into someone else's voice mail and left a message asking for a call back. No return call was received. While I understand that my request could not be accommodated, I have come to expect a higher level of service from SPG hotels, particularly management. I've always received a response from a hotel manager when contacted, especially when it is through email.
While this was a nice hotel, I was disappointed at the lack of response received after numerous attempts to contact management. There are plenty of other SPG hotels to choose from in the Tampa area.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear sginmd,
Please allow me this opportunity to thank you for staying with us prior to your cruise and for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be nice and clean and our staff friendly. We are close to the aiport, as you stated, and we are also very close to two major malls, an AMC movie theatre as well as countless restaurants. They are all within 2 miles of the hotel and we do provide 24 hour complimentary shuttle for those who choose not to rent a car while visiting us. You purchased a prepaid non-refundable reservation which enables us to offer such a low room rate. I apologize for the lack of response from the managers that you named and it is highly unlike any of them not to respond. However, I have met with each of them to discuss your concerns in hopes of eliminating a similar breaakdown in communucation going forward. Once again, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and hopefully the cruise as well, and want you to know that we appreciate your loyalty and hope that you will stay with us in the furure. Regards, Ron, General Manager
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I look at all of the Starwood hotels in Tampa Bay and this was the best option. The hotel is located close to the airport is near international plaza mall and has easy access to the main intersections. There is a ton of parking and the valet is the same price as the self parking option.

The suites in the hotel are very spacious with a nice view. The beds are very comfortable and there are standard westin amenities.

The club lounge at the hotel was horrible! The food selection was minimal and other than to go up and get a bottle of water, I would suggest skipping it. The "breakfast" option at Starbucks was one drip coffee, one juice and a pastry.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Scott1734,
Thank you for your comments and for choosing the Westin Tampa Bay. I apologize if you found our Club Lounge unacceptable and comments such as yours certainly do help us to focus on those areas where we need to improve. Since you mention Starbucks, I am curious to know if you you were aware that we also have a full service restaurant which is named AQUA and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you were not aware, then we certainly need to do a better job of making that information known to all of our guests. Thank you again for taking the time and we hope that you will give us another chance in the foreseeable future. Regards, Ron, General Manager.
Denton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We wanted a hotel close to the airport because of a flight out the next day and this is close to the airport and they did send a shuttle to pick us up from the airport after calling but it is not close to anything else. We didn't have a car so you are stuck eating there because the only other place is a Chart House across the freeway. Had a very nice room over looking the bay but wasn't able to get into our until after 3:00 in the afternoon. Had a bottle of wine while in the bar and the cost was $26.00 but ordered the same bottle in the room later that evening and the cost was $57.00. Thought the room service charges were excessive. There is a little man made beach in the back but its very small and right next to the freeway so not very private.The bedding and the bathroom were both very nice but would probably stay somewhere within walking distance of resturants if we came back and didn't have a car.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Lynne M,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your thoughts regarding your recent stay. We appreciate your comments and have certainly taken them all very seriously. It appears as though your main concern was the feeling of being isolated. In addition to the Chart House their is also a Bahama Breeze which is within walking distance and of course our award winning AQUA Restaurant in the lobby which serves a unique variety of fresh seafood, steaks, poultry, and pasta dishes. However, the airport shuttle that you reference also provides complimentary shuttle service to both malls and a wide variety of outstanding restaurants all within a 3 mile radius to the Westin. The shuttle departs the hotel every 30 minutes and will pick up your party for return upon request. I apologize if we did not make you aware of this service which left you feeling isolated instead of secluded. Hopefully you will give us another opportunity the next time you visit wonderful Tampa. Thank you again for your time.

Estero, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

After several disappointing stays at other Westins recently (including the other Westin in Tampa), I was pleased to see one that finally lived up to the Westin name. The building itself seems new and clean featuring a great restaurant (Aqua) and a full service Starbucks. The room was nice (nothing to write home about, but nice) with a minibar and a great view of Tampa Bay, downtown, the airport and Raymond James Stadium.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Happyjackman,

Thank you for taking the time to express and share your comments regarding you recent stay at the Westin Tampa Bay. Although we are saddened to hear that some of your other Westin stays were somewhat disappointing we are hopeful that your visit with us had restored your faith and that you will give them all another try. At Westin, we all strive to make every guest's stay nothing short of personal and instinctive. We look forward to serving you in the future thank you for your continued loyalty.

Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great views, clean, very comfortable rooms, large bathrooms, great room service, many tv channels. Can walk to/from LSI. Airport shuttle. Can't beat the Westin for your surgery at Laser Spine in Tampa!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear LLAALady,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We certainly do appreciate your loyalty and we are very happy to hear that we were able to help make your recovery a little more comfortable. Hopefully you will be able to visit us again and under slightly different circumstances.

Ron

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!